Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Visualization of trades/executions on charts - Messy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visualization of trades/executions on charts - Messy?

Hi all,

Related to the topic I just created is the visualization of trades. If you take simply a few trades per day - I suppose it can work. But if you're actively trading, it seems like the charts turn into a mess. I'm having a hard time reading all this.

Maybe it's just me? And maybe it's a matter of training?

A solution for me have been to annotate my charts manually using NT's arrows/markers as a guide, but it's a time consuming process as well.

Just curious what experience other people have and if there's a way to do this better.

Clicking "Chart" from "Trades" in the "Trade Performance" generates a chart that is slightly better. But it's still a bit difficult to process. But maybe this is simply how it is if you trade frequently during a day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	1696
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1066071

Name:	3.png
Views:	1696
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1066072

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for posting to the forums.

If you right click> Data Series> scroll to the bottom of this window, there is an option to "Plot executions" and there is a setting called "Markers Only" which you may find works begtter for you, and removes the trade text, and just plats a marker instead.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Marco View Post
      Hello Johnny,

Thanks for posting to the forums.

If you right click> Data Series> scroll to the bottom of this window, there is an option to "Plot executions" and there is a setting called "Markers Only" which you may find works begtter for you, and removes the trade text, and just plats a marker instead.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm aware of that solution, but I don't feel it's helping.

My suggestion:

1. You should add the option of creating lines between entry and exit like is shown in the second picture I posted above. You already have this functionality through Trade Performance. So not sure why it can't be available on ordinary charts also?

If this option is added, one may not need the second option.

2. Let the text (text box) be possible to move. And also have a line from the text to the entry/exit. Drag and drop style.

That way, the user can at least be able to clean up his charts a bit.

The way it is now is simply not working for me and I'm spending a lot of time annotating my charts manually...

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-2436. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 08-06-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
          Thank you for the suggestion.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.
          Thanks, Patrick. I really appreciate that.

I hate to sound negative, but the way it is today - is practically useless if you're placing frequent trades during the day.

What does other users think about this?

I do think that the "Trades" option from Trade Performance is a HUGE improvement. So if that could be added as an option for ordinary data series - it would help a LOT. Hopefully, this is something already 'available' and won't take too much time to implement.

Adjustable labels with the possibillity of lines attached to the entry arrow would be the final icing on the cake.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Comment

Hi all,

Any news on this?

1) Should it not be fairly easy to implement the feature from "Trades" report on an ordinary chart? I.e., connecting lines between entry/exit?

2) As mentioned above, it would GREATLY improve the usability of these chart annotations if the actual text could be arranged in a box and 'connected' to the trade entry and further being able to drag that box around.

Why? Because as soon as you place a few trades in consecution, the chart gets really messy and it's pretty much impossible to actually read what's going on there.

I'm attaching a picture below of HOW I envision it could look like. I'm sure other traders would appreciate this as well. If anyone is currently reading and agrees, please voice your opinion in the thread.

3) I think also it would be great if the entry could state LONG/SHORT.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Name:	Trades.png
Views:	1159
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1085417

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Johnny .

Deciding on features for future releases is not a simple black and white decision. There are many factors involved including but not limited to:
              • Demand which is measured by objective user requests and subjective discretion on the part of our Product Management team.
              • Feasibility
              • Developer bandwidth
              • Current projects in the queue
              • Economics
              You'll find the tracking numbers provided in the release notes when a feature is implemented.

Comment

Hi, NinjaTrader_PatrickG

I understand completely. Still, it would be great if this could be implemented as I sincerely believe it's of little use in the current state, except for when trades are infrequently placed. As soon as you're placing many trades - everything just floats together.

Am I the first to comment on this?

Johnny

Comment

Hello,
                  I completely agree with Johnny on this feature. It would be very helpful to have this functionality.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, alangparker . I've added your vote to SFT-2436.

Comment

Please add my vote

Comment

I also agree with Johnny's comments and have had to select "Do not plot," because neither of the other options are usable with frequent trading. The beta testers either must not have not been frequent traders or their feedback was ignored, because this is a glaring problem that wouldn't have gone unnoticed by anyone who trades frequently. Please add my vote for SFT-2436.

Comment

Please add my vote too. Thanks

Comment

Ninjatrader should really focus on perfecting the basics before adding new functionality to the platform.

A clean visualization of entries/exits would be part of that basic package.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi,

+1 for this request, as I'm also looking for the same improvement.

Arguments
                              Here's my explanation on why I would need this:
                              - Reviewing the trades is extremely crucial for the trade session debrief in order to develop the traders skills, strategy and execution technique.
                              - Having convenient tools for trade documentation supports this debriefing process.
                              - As the visual part looks often very "messy", I do this step manually what is very time costly.

Features
                              - Customization for the plots in the ordinary data series (size, color, style)
                              - Line connections from entry to exit position, in ordinary data series, as it is already available from the Trade Performance Tool (in order to have a view with the actual chart with their indicators, style, time frame, multiple data series, ...etc. used in the session)
                              - Access and visualization of the ATM Strategy depending orders (seeing SL and TP used by the ATM strategy even if not hit)

I love the NT platform and it's unlimited possibility for customization and extensions. I would very appreciate having a improved solution for this basic functionality.

Thanks for your efforts!
                              Last edited by TickBull7000; 06-01-2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                              8 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post frankthearm  
                              Started by NRITV, Today, 01:15 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NRITV