NT8 has become terribly slow to load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 has become terribly slow to load

Hi, my NT8 has become terribly slow to load.

It had been fine last week altho noticed yesterday it started to lag somewhat and this am the first load took 20-30 mins.

Now some charts won't load at all.

There are no other WS's open.
    Data is set mostly to 5 days, 50 bars back in MA and 60 days for daily charts.
    The blank chart on the top row has RTY/CL/DAX in the same format as one next to it which is YM/NQ/ES

The 3 blank charts at the bottom are (bottom left) daily chart of JPY, then a daily chart of instrument linked to MA (no indicators on either)
    and a 60 min chart with a linked instrument to the MA with a supply/demand indicator.

I took the center charts away as they wouldn't load and when they did if you changed linked instruments they took an age to load again.. However, if I open a new chart manually and install the same template sometimes its opens pretty much straight away but then if you change to a different linked instrument it stays on loading for ages.

The MA's are basic standard stuff apart from the trend scanner and a divergence scanner which never normally take long to load.

I have built many other templates with lots more going on but like to use this as my main one but it's causing me nothing but problems and I don't know why.

As a test I made a new workspace and closed this one. I opened a new blank chart and nothing loaded. Opened another and that one showed 'loading' but wouldn't load.
    Tried again 10 mins later and chart loaded up right away. So went back to this WS and tried to open a chart of GC and it hung for a couple of mins then kicked in and another chart of CL won't even show 'loading'

My internet connection is very good and there's no issues in task manager. My PC is a falcon trading model with 32GB and can normally run everything I throw at it.

It feels like there is a bottleneck in the data connection somewhere as even if I load the Market Watch window only one chart will load in it whilst at the same time I can manually open a chart
    with pattern recognition indicators on it and it loads straight away. Very confusing.

Should I try a fresh install of NT8 as at the moment its quite unusable?

I'd like to gather some additional information before we make any decision on what the best course of action would be. We may need to have you contact us via email with your log/trace files, but let's proceed on the forums with some general troubleshooting.

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
    • What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.?.?)
    • Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
    So we can further diagnose your system, start NinjaTrader in Safe Mode.

To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
    • Ensure NinjaTrader is shut down
    • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
    • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
    • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.
    Once NinjaTrader has started on just the control center, please connect to a data feed then open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates and test for issues.

If there are no issues on this new workspace, please try opening the previous workspace by going to the Control Center > Workspaces > Choose your workspace.

If there are no issues, restart NinjaTrader normally and test for issues.

If this reintroduces issues, I would suggest rebuilding your workspace, adding 1 indicator at a time. Please keep track of what indicators you add back in so that we can narrow down what indicator is causing the issue if the issue returns.

Please let me know the results of this test.

Comment

Yes please update as my workspace with charts is getting slower and slower. Indicators arent showing and live price updates take a long time to come through.

Comment

Hi, I never experienced such a long time NT8 to load. Actually after the last time I used the platform, I thought the issue is fixed. But unfortunately it runs over 5 minutes.

NT Version 8.0.21.0
        No errors on screen
        No errors on the Log tab of the Control Center

I enabled the safe mode and opened different workspaces. Workspaces are switched quickly. Although the launch of the program still takes more than 5 minutes. So, is it an issue with the Control Center, which causes it?

Can you help me somehow with the loading speed of NT8 64 bit?

Comment

Safe mode prevents any custom items from loading in your workspace. If the symptom does not occur in safe mode, but does occur when loading normally, we should focus on troubleshooting your workspaces.

The recent unprecedented extreme market volatility is introducing performance issues for many users. The only way to mitigate this root cause is to simplify your workspace and optimize for performance. I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over performance tips:

Comment

Hello,
            I also experienced slow loads under certain conditions only.
            My humble experience dealing with this issue was this. When I tried to load lets say a "busy" workspace, with many stocks, with different timeframes and many days to load, during busy market hours, this workspace would take much longer to load than if I tried to load the same workspace on a weekend for example, when your price source server might not be busy. Please be advised my price source is TDAmeritrade and it is not particularly fast at any time. My point being is that if your indicators/strategies logic is all sound, and you can check this by starting in safe mode maybe as was suggested, then the slow load times is because every time you load NT, it wants to download historical prices to build your indicator/strategy. I know there is an option in NT8 to enable/disable (tools, options, market data, historical, get data from server), where you could disable requesting historical prices from your data server, but any strategy/indicator needs a minimum amount of historical prices so this option is no good for me.
            I have also thought of ways to improve loading times, specially when you build something serious that of course will require historical prices. The only way to improve this loading times, is to make your workspace (indicators/strategies) as efficient as possible requiring the least amount days to load of historical data from different stocks and timeframes, and use the least amount of timeframes if not needed.
            Still, I believe there is room for improvement here if the NT developers look into this issue. If I load 100 strategies, I see them getting enabled slowly one after the other, as if there are being loaded sequentially, and I was wondering, would going from a 4 core cpu to an 8 core 16 thread cpu change things in terms of loading times? Or Is the bottleneck on the internet side of things? It still appears to me that downloading data prices are not big files and should not take more than a few seconds and all strategies enabled at once. Still that is not the case.

Comment

it is easy to know if downloading the data is a problem; Just install the freeware NETWORX, start it up and after that open NT8 with the workspaces. Networx can show you graphically how the download of data is going.

I added a chart to show how it works, I did three things:
              1 Open NT8 with 1workspace and 5 charts from the ES
              2 I opened 1 website
              3 I opened Youtube and started a video

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-03-18 12_28_21-NetWorx (Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller).jpg
Views:	2700
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1090863
              Last edited by marcus2300; 03-18-2020, 05:35 AM.

Comment

@marcus2300 thanks

Comment

No, not my case. Because I tested NT8 without connection to my broker. But even with EOD data, it takes over 4 minutes to load!

The weird thing is it also closes for the same long time! NT8 closes all the windows of a workspace and then the Control Center hangs for 4 minutes before it finally closes.
                  Last edited by alexstox; 03-18-2020, 03:58 PM.

Comment

When NT8 starts, does it renew all the historical data on charts? E.g., I have a workspace with 3 carts and 5 EOD daily bars in each. After the start of NT8, does it try to reload all the EOD history? Maybe that's the issue, is it possible to turn this off?
                    Last edited by alexstox; 03-18-2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

UPDATE:

Just found a better freeware program than Networx: Glasswire.

GlassWire is a modern personal firewall and network monitor with over 40 million downloads. Download GlassWire free!

Comment

Originally posted by marcus2300 View Post
                        UPDATE:
                        Just found a better freeware program than Networx: Glasswire.
                        GlassWire is a modern personal firewall and network monitor with over 40 million downloads. Download GlassWire free!
                        But how does it help you with NT8 slow start?

Comment

Originally posted by alexstox View Post

But how does it help you with NT8 slow start?
                          In GRAPH you can see on a timeline how much data is going in and out. If you double click on the graph you can see below which programs use how much of the data going in and out at that moment. In that way you can see what might cause the slow start of NT8.

Name:	2020-04-12 03_19_09-GlassWire.jpg
Views:	2666
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1094051

Comment

Originally posted by marcus2300 View Post

In GRAPH you can see on a timeline how much data is going in and out. If you double click on the graph you can see below which programs use how much of the data going in and out at that moment. In that way you can see what might cause the slow start of NT8.

Name:	2020-04-12 03_19_09-GlassWire.jpg
Views:	2666
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1094051
                            Thank you, Marcus. I meant if I have 100Mbt internet, I don't think a loading speed may be an issue. In fact, it's not. I used Task Manager to measure internet and memory and CPU loading - it's OK. The most used is CPU - NT8-64 takes about 56% and the laptop still has more than 30% of free CPU power. So, any other idea why NT8-64 loads for 3 minutes? I recently measured = 3 minutes before I can do anything.

Comment

I "fixed" this by closing all accept one workspace. However, it's not a solution. All my workspaces are simple with 1 or 2 chart windows!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by junkone, Today, 11:37 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post junkone
                              by junkone

Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes