Show extended hours session on charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show extended hours session on charts

Hello I currently am messing around with NT don't really like it but could be cause I'm used to stuff that is included with my existing setup.
    One of which is to be able to click a checkbox and show Extended hours on a chart. It requires no indicator (that could possibly slow my performance down)-lol It's a simple checkbox already included in the platform currently speaking of e.g. fidelity Active Trader Pro, EtradePro, TOS etc......Do yall have that and I missed it or.....? be glad to include screenshots if you need.
    TIA

Hello wishing,

Thank you for your note.

The hours displayed on a chart are controlled by the Trading Hour template, accessible by right-clicking the chart, then going to Data Series > Time frame > Trading hours. By default, most instruments will display extended trading hours, however the hours may also be extended further to show 24/7 data if you wish. To retrieve 24/7 data on a chart, please follow the directions below.
    • Right click in your chart and select Data Series.
    • In the Data Series menu, set the "Trading hours" property to 'Default 24/7', then click OK.
    Below I have provided a link with more information about Trading Hours:

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Tyler M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Tyler, tks for response,
      my bad I should have been more clear. In the aforementioned platforms I can "click" a checkbox and it will automatically "highlight" the extended hours session on the chart-No template required.
      Being as the existing chart is already displaying all relevant data from the exchange for.... and you just click a box and wallah you have extended hours highlighted on the chart ..
      Attached Files
      Last edited by wishing; 08-19-2019, 06:41 PM.

Comment

#wishing - chiming in here just to 'bang the drum on this' and encourage you to shout for it.

I too wish to have ETH and RTH displayed at the same time and there is no simple solution to achieve this basic functionality. It can be done, bu not in an elegant manner such as you refer to as offered by other platforms.

There is a Feature Request by me already in existence for a 'checkbox' type solution, and I implore you to ask for your vote to be added.

#Tyler's direction to trading hours does not give you what you want insofar as in theory you could switch between ETH and RTH templates displaying one or the other but it is hardly practical, and is still an 'either or'. You cannot show both with ETH highlighted I..e visually see the entire Session and how RTH sits within that.

If you are minded to, a way you can achieve RTH & ETH is to add additional Data Series to a chart i.e. one Data Series with an ETH Session template attached, one with an RTH Session template (and one with an Overnight Session template if you so desire to have that Data separate).
        There is a Ninja tutorial on how to do this and to minimise any impact on performance.

You can then save Chart template so that each new chart using that template will have the desired setup, rather than building each from scratch..

In order to have the separate Sessions highlighted, you can do so using an indicator developed by Ninja called 'Repeater'.

If you were to search this Forum on this issue you'll find it makes for dismal reading and goes back to the earliest beta development of NT8..

Development have simply done nothing to address the issue in several years, claiming users said they want ETH (misses the point) - which is basic platform functionality clearly demonstrated by others' offerings including it. That they do so is surely a reflection of Users' demand at a platform level.

I can report that I don't have performance issues despite the need for 3 data series per chart to achieve it.(in total 150+ data series). My setup is however otherwise relatively light (e.g. no volume profile, indicators etc.)

However, after 5 months of stable performance, the latest Ninja Revision update broke it, and I was asked to remove Ninja's Repeater indicator, so I currently don't have the highlighting (removing it didn't fix things, awaiting a new Release, we'll see)..

Squeaky gate hasn't been oiled yet, but I'll keep squeaking at every opportunity.;-(

Kind regards,

Bruce

Comment

Hi brucerobinson,
          Tks
          There is a Feature Request by me already in existence for a 'checkbox' type solution, and I implore you to ask for your vote to be added.
          where is it? be glad to add vote

just for better visual by all this was accomplished in first photo by a literal"right-click and simple check box"
          second had to go to settings none the less needed no "template" or 3rd party indicator to accomplish this kinda thought this was industry standard yikes been wrong before and will be again-LOL I like my current setup and was toying around with NT but seems one needs to be a programmer or spend $$ on something that is already included with my current set.

Last edited by wishing; 08-20-2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Hello Wishing & thanks.
            I don't recall where the Feature Request I referred to is, but Ninja should pick up on it from here, find it and your desire to have your vote added.
            Should...

"
            all this was accomplished in first photo by a literal"right-click and simple check box"

"
            kinda thought this was industry standard yikes been wrong before"
            That's the point I saw the opportunity to shine a light on - it is, you're not wrong :-)
            "seems one needs to be a programmer"
            When I started using Ninja the marketing mantra was 'by traders for traders'. Increasingly 'by coders for coders' would be more apt i.e. basic functionality such as this is ignored or poorly implemented and lower priority, imho

or spend $$ on something that is already included with my current set.

In fairness/for the avoidance of doubt it doesn't cost anything additional to achieve in NT8 (unless you're meaning licence fee $$), but it is not elegant.
            See attached. My shaded areas are dynamic range Session High/Low, but that is an Option, could just as easily be time-based only.

Remarkably similar what traders want isn't it, even like-minded on colour-scheme!
            With a check-box to achieve it :-)

Good trading, whichever platform solution you choose to use.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

I'd like to add wishing's vote to the existing feature request you mentioned, but we're unable to find a tracking ID for this exact feature. Do you happen to have this ID in your records? If not, I'll be happy to make a new feature request regarding this item.
              Tyler M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Tyler and thanks for picking up on this. I don't have an ID to hand, I guess I might be able to search my posts and emails but it was in the region of 2 years ago when I started migrating from NT7 to 8 & certainly I don't keep emails that long.

I'd be very happy for you to create one from wishing's description, other platforms etc.

(Simply put, as wishing has - the ability to easily show and switch between RTH and ETH as core platform functionality, like other platforms offer)
                Thanks
                Last edited by brucerobinson; 08-25-2019, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Hello brucerobinson ,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.
                  Jermaine S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I tested <use instrument setting> and defauly 24/7 but it's not working:

Click image for larger version

Name:	eth.png
Views:	776
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1266603

Click image for larger version

Name:	eth2.png
Views:	765
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	1266604

How to fix it?

Comment

4 years later and this simple, yet often used function has still not been implemented?
                      As soon as TradingView gets full tick charts, I'm switching!!

Comment

Hello sastrades,

Thank you for your post. The tracking number for this feature request is SFT-3117.

There are no updates in regard to this feature request at this time. Deciding on features for future releases is not a simple black and white decision. There are many factors involved, including but not limited to:
                        • Demand, which is measured by objective user requests and subjective discretion on the part of our Product Management team.
                        • Feasibility
                        • Developer bandwidth
                        • Current projects in the queue
                        • Economics
                        You will find a note regarding your feature request (with the same tracking number) in the release notes when a feature is implemented. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.​

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by prdecast, Today, 06:07 AM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
                        Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH