Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart defaults to 'Show Tabs' checked after loading a Template

Hello,
    I've noticed that if I load a Template in a chart, it defaults to Show Tabs checked. I've fiddled about and it is not the Template (i.e. it is not that the Template I am loading has Show Tabs checked and it is just loading a this Setting saved in the Chart Template I am loading. It would appear this Setting is not saved in the Chart template).
    Is there a way of stopping this? i.e. if I don't have Show Tabs checked when I load a new Template, I don't want it to change to Show Tabs checked when I do).
    I guess it may be a Windows thing, as Tabs are a Windows thing.
    If not, can you make a Feature request.

I can see no good reason it should do this, and no reason that my setup or action is/are responsible.

I use the Windows Tabs feature to have more than one chart present in a chart Window. Most of the time I have a preferred one displayed, and may wish to tale a quick look at the hidden one e.g. watching 15 min, want to take a quick look at 5min or 60min in another tab. To do so I mouse hover and use the Windows keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Tab programmed on a hotkey,, and again back. Simple and easier than having to position the mouse over the tab and clicking. This way, I don't take up screen real estate permanently displaying charts I'm not using most of the time, is more performance-friendly with the secondary chart running in the background etc, and many reasons why preferable over switching Data Series.
    And I thus don't need to display the Tabs to switch between, hence save wasting screen real estate .

Kind regards,
    Bruce

It seems like this property is saved as part of a chart template during my testing:
    • Create a chart (chart 1)
    • Disable 'Show tabs'
    • Save a chart template (template 1)
    • Create a new chart (chart 2) > load the template (template 1) > Observe that 'Show tabs' is disabled by default
    • Re-enable 'Show tabs' on chart 1 and save another chart template (template 2)
    • Apply template 2 to chart 2 > 'Show tabs' is now re-enabled
    If you follow these steps, you're saying the behavior on your end is different? In other words, if you save a chart template with 'show tabs' disabled, that does not change a chart with 'show tabs' enabled when the template is applied?

Comment

Hello Patrick and thanks.

We're talking at slight cross-purposes here...
      "In other words, if you save a chart template with 'show tabs' disabled, that does not change a chart with 'show tabs' enabled when the template is applied? "
      No, not quite that - in fact kind of the opposite' - a chart with Show tabs disabled, I save its template. The chart has no tabs. I (re)load that template to the same chart (which should have Show tabs disabled saved). At this point the chart I'm seeing has no tabs visible (because I saved it like that). I load the template and changes the chart from not showing tabs to showing tabs.

I replicated your steps, 'from 'new' i.e. chart and template, and then a new chart and apply the template, and it worked (saved the Show tabs un-ticked).
      But I am not creating a new chart.

- an open chart with a template already applied (i.e. wysiwyg - no changes from what that template gives you)
      - Show tabs is unchecked (already, i.e. that's how they all are in my Workspace)
      - Save the template (to confirm that it is being saved in the Show tabs unchecked state)
      - I Save as save it with the same name as my template for this chart type
      - it asks if I wish to overwrite the existing template with that name, yes
      - at this point the chart is still displaying without tabs
      - load template, choose the template name I have just saved
      - it loads the template then changes to show tabs...…
      I double-checked before posting to confirm, as I'm suffering Ninja fatigue :-) I'm doing this to get my charts back to where they were pre 18.1. Small comfort I have a 'no-add-ons' Workspace for future eventualities

A difference between what you proposed and what I'm doing is you are creating a new chart to apply the template to. I am saving the template 'as seen' and overwriting the incumbent template, then 're-applying' that template to the current chart. I don't want to replace all my charts, layout etc. recreate my Workspace, just apply a template to them. (If it helps to understand what/why I am doing this - I removed all my Ninjatrader_PaulH Repeater add-ons from all my charts as part of 18.1-gate, Now, I'm cautiously adding some back hence re-applying them back. Doing so, I noticed the tabs. Thought, hmm, strange, would have thought I'd have saved them un-shown to the template.So I un-showed them, saved the template and re-applied. Still tabs. Applied same template to different chart, same. etc etc etc, Kaa di da di da)

So, when I save what I see (no tabs) to overwrite the existing template, it doesn't save the Show tabs unchecked
      I re-named the template rather than overwrite and it does the same thing
      I loaded the template saved when Show tabs unchecked to a different chart, does the same thing. It seems to me, fwiw, either the show tabs isn't being saved to the template or the act of loading a template defaults to show tabs regardless
      But following your steps doesn't, it is as expected.

I've done it about 10 times to confirm I'm not hallucinating.
      I've tried saving with a unique name rather than overwriting the existing one, same.

I'm starting to wonder if it is something particular to using multiple data series, or something such specific to my chart, seeing as when I followed your steps I used a single data series with no template, changed to no tabs and saved it.

Does my head in

Clear?

Best,
      Last edited by brucerobinson; 08-27-2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I agree that there must still be something unique on your end as I cannot create the symptom you're describing. Here is the second test I conducted (basically the same as my previous steps but within one chart window only):
        • Open NinjaTrader
        • Create a chart
          • Default is 'Show tabs' = enabled
        • Save a chart template
        • Shut down NinjaTrader > Choose 'Yes' to save the workspace
        • Open NinjaTrader
        • Within the chart, disable 'Show tabs'
        • Overwrite previously created chart template
        • Re-load that template
        Can you provide a simplified bullet-point list of steps from a single new chart that allows you to recreate the symptom? So, step 1 would be 'Open NinjaTrader' ,step 2 would be 'create a chart' and so on.

On your end you may also want to try recreating the same symptom in a new workspace in order to eliminate variables further.

Comment

Hello Patrick and thanks.
          "...
          steps from a single new chart that allows you to recreate the symptom?
          "
          No, because,
          as I posted above,
          I cannot recreate the symptom in a new chart. ?
          "
          I replicated your steps, 'from 'new' i.e. chart and template, and then a new chart and apply the template, and it worked (saved the Show tabs un-ticked)
          " ?

Likewise "
          On your end you may also want to try recreating the same symptom in a new workspace in order to eliminate variables further." - Ditto as above - I can't recreate the symptom in a new chart in my current Workspace, therefore don't expect to be able to recreate the symptom in a new chart in a new Workspace. ?

The circumstances in which I can recreate the symptom are per the bulleted list above.
          • Open Ninjatrader
          • Connect
          • Open Workspace (all charts open with Show tabs disabled)
          • Load template (chart changes to tabs enabled)
          • Disable Show Tabs
          • Template - Save as... (either overwriting existing template name or new name, tried both, same outcome)
          • Load template
          • Chart changes to tabs enabled
          Saving Workspace saves 'as seen'. i.e. if I manually change chart back to Show tabs disabled, saving the Workspace retains that setting.

Kind regards,
          Bruce

Comment

It sounds like the symptom is isolated to the workspace you're working with. Please send me your workspace, log, and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.
            • You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support
            • Expand 'Other files' and enable 'Workspace files and UI settings' and 'Template files'.
            • Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 2257322 ATTN PatrickG

Comment

Hello Patrick and thanks, sent as requested.
              Kind regards,
              Bruce

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
              Started by trilliantrader, Today, 03:01 PM
              2 responses