NT8 on two computers - Live and Playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 on two computers - Live and Playback

I'm running my live account on a PC and I wish to use the Playback connection without disrupting my live connection (auto strategies, etc.). Can I install NT8 on another PC to just run Playback? I have no intention of using my live account on the second PC. Is there a SIM license key I could use so I don't violate terms of service by using my license key on the second PC?

Hello cstern71,

Thanks for posting.

It's no problem use NinjaTrader 8 on two computers simultaneously, as long as you're not attempting to connect to the live account on both computers at the same time. A simulated key will be entered in the new installation by default.

In case you wish to transfer your workspaces, custom NinjaScript files, etc. I've also provided instructions below on how to create a backup of your installation and restore it to the second computer. While this isn't needed to use NinjaTrader on two computers, it can save you a lot of time re-creating workspaces and templates.

Please note that the following list is the items you can choose to include or exclude from your backup (Configuration files, Database, Historical Chart Data, Log and Trace files, Market Replay Data, NinjaScript Files, Templates, Workspaces). Many users exclude the historical chart data, log and trace files, and Market Replay data to reduce the file size.

Also, the new computer will have a different Machine ID and will result in any passwords for account connections being removed along with the NinjaTrader License key being removed. For security purposes all account connections will need to have the username and password re-entered.

You will also need to contact any 3rd party vendors and let them know that your machine ID has changed. You can locate the new machine ID by the following:
    • Control Center > Help > About... (e.g. Machine ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

Follow these steps:
    • Open NinjaTrader 8 on the computer you wish to backup from and disconnect from any open connections if applicable.
    • Go to Tools > Export > Backup File
    • Select which items you would like to backup and click 'Export'
    • Email or Save the file to an external storage device. The file can be found in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8 Backup folder on your PC.

Open NinjaTrader 8 on the computer you wish to restore to and disconnect from any open connections if applicable.
    • Open the email with the backup file or connect the external storage and save the backup file to a destination of your choosing (I recommend the desktop as it is easy to find).
    • Go to Tools > Import > Backup File...
    • Select the backup file you created from the location you saved it

I have also attached the Help Guide section regarding backup and restore below:

Help Guide - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ightsub=backup

Please let us know if we may provide further assistance.
    Tyler M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Interesting... I am trying to do something similar, but not for live/playback. Just want a"hot standby" laptop so if my main PC dies, I can quickly switch to an (almost) identical system.

So... I get it, machine ID is different, and I can't use the same license (I bought a lifetime license a month or so back)
      But when I tried a previous SIM license on my laptop, it got rejected.

Can you help out? Seems I should be able to load a SIM key on my standby system, and if/when I need to use it for real, simply enter my live license key... and away I go... right?

Cheers,
      T.

Comment

Hi tgn55,

Thanks for posting.

If the simulated key is failing to verify, then there might be a problem with either the key itself, or your connection to the license servers. Please send your simulated key and diagnostic files to Platform Support, along with a description of the issue.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help> Email Support

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

We look forward to being of assistance.

Comment

You can run NinjaTrader on two different computers, at the same time, using the same license key, connected to the same live account. To do that, you need to pay for a second login ($10 /mo) and a second data subscription. Contact your broker for details.

With this setup, if your existing login is ab1122.cqg, your second login might be ac1122.cqg. Live orders entered on PC#1 will appear exactly the same on PC#2, whether DOM or Chart Trader, and can be managed the same on either PC. The only difference is that PC#1 live orders will appear on PC#2 identified as "External" in Control Center and Account Data windows. SIM orders will only appear on one PC, the local PC where entered.

This is a great solution if you trade in two locations, but don't want to shut NT down when moving between locations. It is also the solution for anyone wanting a running backup or portable PC ready to go.

Comment

I got my setup sorted... without paying for another login ;-) ie, 2nd PC is SIM-only, I will use it for back-testing/VS debugging while my production PC is running strategies live... until I move to a hosted VPS.

So cstern71... I think this should work for you and your playback ...

Lancer, re having a hot backup, your solution no doubt works... and probably has some advantages.
            If users want to achieve a cheap no-frills DR solution, I now also have an (almost) hot standby system... just need to switch license key from SIM to live, connect to my live broker account... and I'm off. Should take no more than 60 seconds

I'm mildly surprised there isn't more discussion on the forum regarding hot backup/DR solutions... or perhaps most folk just pay for the extra login. ??

Cheers,
            T.

Comment

Hello,

I would like to setup a second and third computer with my same environments. The functions for each computer is located below
              1) Primary used for trading live
              2) Secondary used to run strategy on simulated account (location A)
              3) Secondary used to run strategy on simulated account (location B)

Questions:
              1) Can I use a NAS or central storage location to store my environments, strategies and indicators instead of my local path to allow all three computers access to the same data including indicators and strategies at the same time and obviously if I make an update from one system all systems who may be using that strategy will realize the changes as they are pointing to the same path?
              2) How can I get two more simulation accounts against live data so all three systems could do simulations simultaneously (in this case the data captured for the sim accounts would be associated to those accounts not stored on the NAS?

I don't want to fund three accounts to have three live data feeds but am willing to pay the live data feed for all three accounts (one for live trading and the other two for simulation accounts). Is this possible?

Comment

Hello DMK10001,

Thanks for posting.

It is not recommended to run NinjaTrader off of cloud storage, as this may cause problems if the platform and your storage solution are attempting to read/write to a file at the same time. You can easily create backups to move your settings from one PC to another: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...p__restore.htm

To create a new simulation account, right-click within the Accounts tab of the Control Center, then click 'Add simulation account'.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Tyler

Thanks for the response on the NAS. Your response on how to create a sim account is fine BUT the question is really to have those sim accounts using a ive data feed, that is the question where I really need the answer (all three systems using a live data stream simultaneously or three separate live data streams)?

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

There is no limitation on how many simulation accounts you may use with one data feed.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Tyler,

That is great news!. Please tell me how I can log into my second computer without my first one disconnecting which is what it does today, regardless of whether or not I am using two separate simulation accounts as I have tried both computers at the same time. The last to be logged into will stay connected but both will not. In fact I get a message stating I have logged in on another computer and being disconnected from the first computer.

Comment

This question should be directed to your broker- if your account is with NinjaTrader Brokerage, please contact brokeragesupportATninjatraderDOTcom.

Comment

Tyler,

Thanks for your patience. Just to be sure I understand properly and looking at post #2 on this thread, where you stated "It's no problem use NinjaTrader 8 on two computers simultaneously, as long as you're not attempting to connect to the live account on both computers at the same time. A simulated key will be entered in the new installation by default." and then your latest reply to me where you stated "There is no limitation on how many simulation accounts you may use with one data feed."

Are you stating there is a limitation on how many accounts may be connected to the live feed which is why you are referring me back to the broker?

Comment

It depends on the broker, but typically if you try to connect to a live account on one computer and then try to connect to the same account on another computer, this will cause the first one to become disconnected. This is not related to simulation accounts in any way, just to your connection to the data feed. Your brokerage may be able to provide you with multiple sets of logins for thwe same live account, which would act as a workaround for this.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                            6 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post DJ888
                            by DJ888

Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
                            0 responses