Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right Side Margin Shading Area

Hi,

Upon choosing a distance for "Right Side Margin", Is there anyway that margin to the right of the chart becomes shaded, or assumes any other color, but exclusively while it is active, meaning, while indeed the market time portrayed to the extreme right hand side is NOT the live market time? Reason: I am using the Dark Theme and very frequently while scrolling backwards to see previous market developments, I find myself confused with what is being show to the extreme right side of the chart because all is Dark. Sometimes, I look to the right and see a market move that would be ideal to enter a trade and get confused because that position in time is also actually in the past and not the "live" market, and except for the very discreet Arrow at the top right had side, there's nothing obvious that shouts that fact.

If there were a shaded, grayed area towards the right side of the chart after the point where Right Margin is being used (when the extreme side of the chart is NOT showing live market), that would make this feature much more reliable to live with.

Is there any configurable solution around this?

Thanks,
    G

Hello bouncetherubble,

Thanks for your post.

There is not a means to color the area of the right side margin. When you scroll left or right, at the top right of the chart, you should see a single left or right facing arrow that is pointing to the direction that the actual right edge data is. If you click that arrow, the chart returns to right edge data. If no arrow then you are showing the current bar. Also, when your scroll to the left, into the chart history, the price marker for the current price will change to a gray color from the normal black color indicator also that you are not looking at the right edge. I've created a short video to demonstrate: https://Paul-ninjaTrader.tinytake.co...N18xMTQxMzMxMQ

I will create a feature request in our system to request to provide a means to optionally shade/differentiate the chart from the right side margin going forward (in time). I think having it as a option would be best as there are a number of indicators that will shade the background based on various time conditions. I will update this thread when i have that feature request.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Post removed.
      Last edited by NinjaTrader_PaulH; 09-06-2019, 09:53 AM. Reason: Removed post of added indicator for testing.

Comment

Hello bouncetherubble,

The feature request has been assigned to SFT-4224, "Option to shade right side margin". If the feature is implemented, it would be identified in the release notes of the version it is first released in. Here is a link for your convenience to the common release note collection for all versions: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for spending time recording the video. Indeed, what I asked is already taken care of, in a way, by the shading of the price marker, something I had noticed a while ago, but didn't quite realize what was the purpose, my bad... Yet, that would be nice to have an option to shade the whole portion of the chart background to the right, while not at live market time. Thanks for creating the feature request, I think that would help for a more immediate perception of the scenario, since that could be sensed with the peripheral vision, something almost impossible with the price marker turned gray.

Thanks Much,
          G

Comment

Hi Paul,

Super !!! I had not see your last posts upon my last reply! Yes, that's almost what I meant, except what I thought was to have the grayed area automatically shown only upon the live market price actually penetrating in that area. Yet the way you have built it also has advantages since it will always show there is a Right Side Margin configured and where it begins, which is a great advantage. Perhaps for a feature request, that could be a good idea to offer two levels of customization, a very pale shading for when the live market had not yet penetrated that area, and a stronger shading, indicating the live market is inside that area, and the switch between these two conditions would happen dynamically (i.e) when the user is scrolling the time line back and forth with the mouse.

Thanks Much indeed,
            G

Comment

Hi Paul,

I think there maybe some code at RightSideMarginShader that created the problems described ahead. Not really asking to concern about it, now I know the price marker gets shaded I can make use of it as originally imagined for a shaded area to the right, in addition, the feature request has been created. However,it seems installing the indicator, after a while, begets the "unhandled exception" error, that I have been having since yesterday. Googled for it and found that it must be related to Virtual Memory low for NT8. Initially, I manually increased it, like 5 times fold, cleared the NT8 cache and restarted machine. The error appeared again after a while, so I set virtual memory to be controlled by the machine ( it was something else originally). That appeared to have increased the problem and NT8 was freezing from the start.

Finally, I started NT8 in Maintenance mode, started NinjaScript Editor to delete the indicator that was loaded at least in two charts at the workspace that was being loaded at normal environment, but seems Maintenance mode doesn't allow deleting an indicator, even if it's not a system loaded indicator. So, I deleted the entire workspace and switched to another one which hadn't the RightSideMarginShader indicator in any charts and restarted NT8 in normal mode and everything is now OK. I didn't even need to clear the cache again or restart the machine. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, I was not able to delete the indicator and reloaded NT8 in normal mode, with the same workspace that was freezing, minus RightSideMarginShader, so that we could be 100% sure that was the problem, but there was nothing else fancy added to that workspace yesterday and I have been updating the same workspace for several days, so the chances are high the " unhandled exception" error was caused by it.

Thanks much,
              G

Comment

Here is another possibility...in the first screen shot the Price Line indicator is shown as magenta...
                and in the 2nd screen shot where the price has moved into the right margin area.....
                the price line auto changes to green and the yellow line shows how far price has moved into the margin....

Also make the indicator measured in the same units as the right margin....not as a % of chart area....

Comment

Hi Alfred,

I am not sure what is the condition these photos were taken ... Are these configurable native NT8 options?

Thanks Much,
                  G

Comment

Hello bouncetherubble,

Thanks for your replies.

I have not seen any issues with the indicator however in the interest of safety I will delete it from this thread. It was a quick test to see if we were talking about the same thing.

Comment

The screen shots shown above are just graphic examples to suggest how Ninjas Price Line indicator could work
                      to quickly alert one when last price moves into right margin....

Comment

Hi Alfred,

Now I get it! Yes, those are great suggestions, could replace the shaded box area easily. Probably that can be include at the feature request for developers to weight what is the less resource consuming option.

Best,
                        G

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for creating the indicator, Much Appreciated indeed!

Maybe that impacted me on a specific incompatibility with my laptop, but even if not impacted yours, it may as well impact others. I tried to provide the most impartial description possible so that you'd apply your judgment on deleting it or not from the thread.

Again, thanks much for your kind assistance and attention,
                          G

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by FrancisMorro, Today, 03:24 AM
                          0 responses
                          1 view
                          0 likes
                          Last Post FrancisMorro  
                          Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                          10 responses