Daily candle body not displaying on small range days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily candle body not displaying on small range days

On days where a candle has an open price close to the closing price (doji), the chart doesn't display any horizontal line to represent price- it displays a wick but no body as in the attached pic. This was true for the date of the 23rd day in the pic. I also included a pic of how it should look and you can get it to display if you drag the bottom of the scale over a little to expand the chart.

Last edited by bortz; 04-28-2018, 08:18 AM.

Hello bortz,

Thank you for your note.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? You can find this under the Control Center>Help>About.

Also, would you please be able to provide a screen shot of your Data Series Settings? To do this you'd right click the candle on the chart until a Data Series box pops up. I have provided as screenshot of what I' looking for.

I look forward to your reply.
    Attached Files
    Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Version 13.1 (Latest NT8) 64-bit

Comment

Hello bortz,

If you change the candle body outline color to pink in the screen shot you attached, are you able to see the Doji?

Comment

Changing the candle body outline to pink produces a pink doji. My outline was set to transparent before changing it to pink. As noted originally, just changing the bottom chart days scaling will make the doji appear as a small green candle as it should or disappear completely, except for the wick.

Comment

Hello bortz,

The candle you mention is not actually a doji. Close and Open differ by a cent.

Having the candle body set to a color rather than transparent will correctly display the candle.

What is it you are trying to achieve exactly?

Comment

The purpose is to get a candle that has a thin body to display correctly, as seen on your competition's platforms and even the platforms supplied by brokers, such as TDA and TWS. There's no way to adjust the thickness of the candle outline so that small range candles can be accurately displayed. Or better stated, more familiarly displayed. Even Finviz has better looking charting than NT8.
              Setting the outline color to transparent or to match the chart background color is the only workaround to getting something other than a "stubby" candle with a too fat outline. Another workaround is to have a white background chart which displays better but for me, black charts are easier on the eyes after viewing massive quantities of charts.
              I can tell by your response that you think this is all perfectly normal behavior but I shouldn't have to tweak your program's settings to try and duplicate the standard that's out there and fail at doing that. And changing the outline to pink causing a pink candle in the pic below isn't normal behavior either. The day in question was a higher close than open (green day). Neither is the body disappearing completely when you re-scale the chart.
              Last edited by bortz; 04-28-2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Hello bortz,

The default setting in the Data Series properties for the Candle Body Outline is not Transparent.

Leaving the defaults as they are initially set up in NinjaTrader correctly shows this type of candle.

Is this not what you are seeing?

Comment

What is the default outline color, white? It's been awhile since I've had anything set to default, that's why I'm asking.

Comment

Hello bortz,

The default would depend on the skin chosen under Control Center>Tools>Options>Skins.

The default candlestick outline color for Slate Gray skin color would default to Slate Gray.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I see that changing the candle body outline dash style option to "dot" thins out the outline thickness and prevents disappearing small range candles. This appears to be the best workaround yet that I can live with. A better option would be to allow users a choice of thinner outline customization than the setting of 1 as the minimum size that you have now. Say maybe .5 as the minimum. Thanks for your time Alan.

Comment

Hello bortz,

I will submit a feature request for allowing a user to select a candle wick/body size less than 1.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Hello bortz,

The feature request tracking ID associated with this request is,

SFT-1863

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                          0 responses
                          1 view
                          0 likes
                          Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                          Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                          0 responses