Making RollOver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making RollOver

Hello, I'm simulating a strategy, and it do a entry order "5L" in ES 09-19, before exit I did a rollover and the position of my strategy was 5L like before, but my account it was flat.. So.. I reconnect the strategy with immediately submit synchronize account, and my account has the same position of my strategy 5L.. I don't know if this action is correct. Or I shouldn't do a rollover when I have an open position. Any suggestion ...

Hello 7robert, thanks for your note.

In a real account, that position would be closed out by your broker before the contract expires. So a position in the September ES contract would be closed while rolling over. The strategy took on a 5L position because it calculated that signal in historical mode (scroll back on the historical data and you will see the entry somewhere in the historical data).

Best regards.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello ChrisL. But if I have an entry position and it closed while rolling over, my account position is flat why is this happening?
      if my strategy is flat the exit position would leave the account in short.

Should the entry position be mounted again in the new contract month?

Example of what is happening to me:

ES 09-19 -> Strategy position: Entry order 5L | Account position: Entry order 5L
      Rolling over
      ES 12-19 -> Strategy position: Entry order 5L | Account position: Flat
      Last edited by 7robert; 09-17-2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Hello 7robert, thanks for your reply.

If your strategy calculated a position that was taken in the historical data and your strategy is set to synchronize the account, then a new position will be created on the new contract. Your strategy position was not flat at the time you started the strategy and your account was synchronized because the strategy determined there should have been a position taken even though the data used to calculate that signal was from the previous contract (assuming your Merge Policy is set to Merge Back Adjusted). If you close out the position, change the start up behavior to Wait Until Flat, you will see the strategy wait for the exit signal instead of synchronizing the account.

Please let me know if I can assist any further.

Comment

I don't understand the explanation very well.

When we roll over with an open position, the account position is flat. Therefore the strategy when looking for your exit conditions would cause the account to go short. How can I make the account in the same position as my strategy? I have several strategies operating on the same instrument.

Comment

Hello 7robert, thanks for your reply.

If you want the real world account to have the same position as the strategy then synchronize account would be the correct behavior to use. All of the startup procedures are documented here for reference.

Comment

How I use that start behavior if I have few strategies working in the same instrument?..

Comment

Hello 7robert,

Thank you for your reply.

Having multiple strategies running on the same instrument/account combination is highly discouraged. This is due to the fact that strategies are not aware of each other and running multiple strategies will usually cause issues with your account position.

For example, if you have two strategies running and one is in a 4 long position; if the other takes a 4 short position, both strategies will show profits/losses, but your account position would effectively be flat and you'd not be in any position at all.

We would recommend that if you are using multiple strategies on the same instrument that you run them using different accounts as that would be the only way to keep the strategies in sync with the account position.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
                Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Kate, thanks for your reply.

I will take your advice, but there is something that keeps confusing me and that is that in a trading platform, when you roll over the position is liquidated and it is automatically purchased in the new instrument, and that seems to not happen in ninjatrader.

I need to configure any option?

Thanks

Comment

Hello 7robert,

Thank you for your reply.

There would not be a configurable option to automatically re-enter a liquidated position after rollover.

You would need to sell the prior position (or wait until it is liquidated) and re-enter on the new contract.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.

Comment

If it is not automatic, it is complicated to do it in a strategy, since when closing the manual position, and reopening it, they will not be associated with that strategy.

Comment

Question on the multiple accounts. I am interested in having two accounts, one where I run a swing trades strategy on the ES and then another account where I do intraday strategy on the ES. For this to work, what do I have to do? Right now I am using Dorman Trading as the location were I originally open my current/first NinjaTrader account.

What are the steps? Do I have to open a new Dorman Trading account? Do I have to tell Dorman Trading that this is a second account or do they not really care, to them is just another account?
                        Then after I get the account do I have to contact you ninjatrader to add it to my account?

Comment

Hello zaro33,

Thank you for your post.

I would advise you to contact your broker directly for advice on using a second futures account. They should be able to assist you with setting up a second account under the same login credentials (you can only have one NinjaTrader Continuum connection at a time, so the accounts need to both be linked to the same login). Once they set the second account up and link it to your same login, you should just have to log out and back in to see the second account appear and be able to select it in your Account dropdowns.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 09:06 AM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post traderqz  
                          Started by traderqz, Today, 12:06 AM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes