Collapse

Ninja for MAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to chime in on this thread because as a Mac user and ex-PC user, I remember coming across this page when I was still a prospective NT customer. I think it's ridiculous that people feel the need to comment in here to just to vote against a feature that others came here specifically to request, and to assert that the voting is manipulated, really? As if Apple users are some sort of rare animal? Apple computers are the professional standard in so many different fields, trading may not be one of them but it's undeniable that the Apple user base is showing no signs of slowing down and that younger demographics prefer Macs. It very well could be a future trading standard. Worth the investment for the future? That's not for me to judge, but I was reluctant to buy NT8 because it required me to purchase Parallels and look into getting a Windows license and all that... I almost went with a different platform because of this. I'm glad I stuck to NT8 because I really love the software, but I can't help imagine how many other potential customers decided to take their business someplace else. I guess Parallels works okay. I wouldn't choose this ideally though. It can be buggy at times, especially with the DPI settings. It can also be CPU-intensive, but as somebody else mentioned, TOS running natively on Mac is at least three times as intensive on the machine as NT8 running on Parallels. I don't know how TD managed that one, even running TOS on Parallels is horrible, but I digress. There are real users out there that would greatly appreciate and purchase a Mac version of NT8... we do exist. So I'd like to put in a vote for SFT-230 as well. Thanks.
    Last edited by augustfay; 08-25-2020, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by augustfay View Post
      Just wanted to chime in on this thread because as a Mac user and ex-PC user, I remember coming across this page when I was still a prospective NT customer. I think it's ridiculous that people feel the need to comment in here to just to vote against a feature that others came here specifically to request, and to assert that the voting is manipulated, really?
      Watch the list of pro voters. The majority are new posters that vote pro MAC. So it is manipulated.
      The reason many vote against MAC is very logical. First of all it is financially a disaster for Ninjatrader as I clearly explained in full details. And second Ninjatrader has already an overloaded support team that even has not enough time to solve all the problems/requests from windows users. Starting with a paralel MAC division will delude the windows service that we have now.

Originally posted by augustfay View Post
      Apple computers are the professional standard in so many different fields, trading may not be one of them but it's undeniable that the Apple user base is showing no signs of slowing down and that younger demographics prefer Macs. .
      The professional standard? LOL. If that would be true the majority of computers that are sold would be MAC. Reality is that 7 times more windows PC's are sold. That is the standard.

Comment

Just want to register my request for a native Mac version of the awesome NT platform. It would be super helpful, given my equipment setup and workflow. Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by marcus2300 View Post

Watch the list of pro voters. The majority are new posters that vote pro MAC. So it is manipulated.
          The reason many vote against MAC is very logical. First of all it is financially a disaster for Ninjatrader as I clearly explained in full details. And second Ninjatrader has already an overloaded support team that even has not enough time to solve all the problems/requests from windows users. Starting with a paralel MAC division will delude the windows service that we have now.
          Logic is not your strong suit, huh?
          The reason the pro-voters are new posters is BECAUSE THERE IS NO MAC PLATFORM so they aren't established NT customers. I was referred to NT and realized I couldn't use it on my Mac without completely manipulating my OS. That's not something I want to do so I wanted to see if there was a solution... and voila, I am now here seeing people like you spouting off about manipulation like they are somehow being conspired against... No one is out to get you and your precious PC. We are just looking for a solution for our hardware compatibility.
          As to your other point, tech support issues are not a platform based problem and adding a MAC platform won't harm or help it. If anything, it'll allow NT to grow and EXPAND their tech support base.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go find a mac-supported competitor of NT since this won't work for my setup.

Comment

Posts should ALWAYS be defaulted for most recent post top, not bottom btw.

In tech, if you sleep, you die. The next company to come out with the same charting capabilities, speed, and visually pleasing in MacOS, WIndows and Linux will do 2 things: 1. be the most profitable platform in existence as most new traders are mac users; 2. will then be the standard for majority brokers and data feeders.

Can't be stagnant and arrogant in tech. If you realize you're losing users because there are macOS versions of other competing software, you're done. It would be over because it would be too late to do anything about it.

All of us mac users have already been searching for an alternative platform. It's only a matter of time, especially during these times when most new traders are mac users.

Comment

Originally posted by wildwex View Post

2020 Data:
              https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market...ktop/worldwide

Go MAC ... another 3% growth!
              Remember: mac users look to see what platforms they can use for trading before they sign up. The only mac users willing to run virtual PCs to run Ninja Traders are the more technical computer users. My guess is that Ninja Trader are probably losing out on 80% of mac users. That is why you don't hear much from mac users here. It's not because of lack of mac users in the market. It's because most mac users in the market found another platform that had a macOS version.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_in_la View Post

Remember: mac users look to see what platforms they can use for trading before they sign up. The only mac users willing to run virtual PCs to run Ninja Traders are the more technical computer users. My guess is that Ninja Trader are probably losing out on 80% of mac users. That is why you don't hear much from mac users here. It's not because of lack of mac users in the market. It's because most mac users in the market found another platform that had a macOS version.
                That's spot on. I downloaded a parallel or something (not really the tech-savvy type) and it failed to install/run so I gave up and went with Ameritrade instead. Not as highly regarded as NT, but at least it didn't require me recreating my HDD/OS

Comment

I’d like to cast my vote for Mac compatibility as well. I’ve been running NT on Parallels but it’s not the smoothest experience. I also bought a Windows machine to trade on and really hated the OS and hardware, so Mac it is for me. I guess all I can hope for is compatibility when the .Net 5 framework comes out?

Comment

Please,NT for Mac.

Comment

I want to add my voice to this Mac debate.
                      Why has Windows got a 77.9% marketshare and Mac 13%? Well that is because the PC has always been the cheap option, businesses didn't see any sense paying twice as much for the Mac when a cheap PC would do the job, such as bookkeeping, spreadsheet work, emails and internet, this is how Microsoft Office and Excel etc became the standard for this type of work. I have worked on Macs for 30 years and owned PCs too, owning a PC was a trial, forever crashing and being unstable generally, the standard of build was always junky, though I am sure that this has changed for the better in recent years, the Mac on the other hand has been stable throughout and well built, I always maintained that although the Mac was dearer initially the PC always ended up more expensive due to all the downtime encountered by breakdowns in software and hardware (and stress).

Anyway I have been using a competitor (Windows) charting software in Parallels which has performed without issue for the last 4 months and the only reason I have come to NT is because I have bought into a trading strategy that is based on NT and I am pulling my hair out with constant crashing, so bad that it is unusable. I do not like to be using Parallels anyway for any software and a native Mac program would be a godsend. Rather than assuming that Mac users are not interested in trading I would be encouraged to view it as an un-tapped market because not only is the native Mac operating system is very stable and slick but a growing number of people are choosing Mac because it fits into their life better.

Comment

I can't believe NT still does not support the Mac!!!!

Comment

Hi everyone, I would like to make my vote for a Mac edition as well! Yes there are more windows users but there are also a lot of Mac users and more and more everyday.

Comment

Most of you guys on a Mac can be up and running in under an hour pretty easily.. Did this tutorial to show you how to run your nt8 on a Mac... https://youtu.be/nRFp_MUQbEk
                            xabcdtrading
                            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

Thanks for the video xabcdtrading I did watch it and almost went that way. However I don't have the most modern Macbook and I remembered the pains I had using parallels in the past just for simple apps like word and excel. So I decided to load windows on an external SSD and boot from there so that all my system resources can be used when running windows. I followed this video which was a great help setting it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IhW722IMwE&t=733s

Comment

SAC-MAN for sure, dual booting is a solution and glad you found it worked for you. Some that read this thread though might want to continue to use their mac programs at the same time as run their ninjatrader and I guess that's where my video might be more useful. We've heard tons of problems with our users using parallels as it seems to have a lot of stability issues with any sort of load. But have not heard that with the vmware software. I read an article a few years ago that their virtualization overhead was something around 3% and if the host was using more than that it was a misconfiguration of a VM... so I think for a lot of people the overhead of 3% would be considered acceptable, but if you choose that way or dual booting then it gets the job done. Pretty simple solutions available for those wanting to run NT8 on a mac and glad to hear you got it working for you.

Editing post with performance doc: https://www.vmware.com/pdf/hypervisor_performance.pdf so virtualization overhead on the host machine is 2% for the ESX solution - so for fusion I doubt it's much different for anyone that is curious.
                                xabcdtrading
                                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by kujista, Today, 05:44 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post kujista
                                by kujista

Started by ZenCortexCLICK, Today, 04:58 AM