Ninja for MAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings!
    I would like to vote +1 for a native MAC solution. I'm using VMware fusion and that solution is fine. It was less than ideal to purchase a windows license to get it working. As a software developer, i'm a MAC user and will be for my development career so i'll always be in the +1 camp. It's not a deal breaker or anything for me but when recommending this platform to others that is a drawback.

Comment

xabcdtrading Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it, maybe i'll give your way a go as well and see how well it works.

Comment

xabcdtrading Hi I have a quick question for you. You said in a reply above that VM ware only uses 3% overhead. That would be acceptable, but Iam assuming to run Ninjatrader8 you will also be running Windows 10. So you'd be running macOS, VMware, Windows 10 and then Ninjatrader8? Is that correct? Or does VMware work differently? If not then MacOS, Windows 10 and VMware would add a lot of overhead just to run Ninjatrader8?

If you could let me know your thoughts I would appreciate it.

Comment

Yes that's correct. You run Windows 10 inside the VM, an inside Windows 10 you run Ninjatrader 8.
          It works fine, a lot of mac users use it this way. You can also use parrallels it doesn't make any difference.
          Good news is you can run both VMWare and Parrallels in "integration mode. That would mean you see all the windows of your NInjatrader just like it was a normal OsX application.
          Or you can choose to run full screen windows, in that case you would just sit behind a windows machine.

Originally posted by SAC-MAN View Post
          xabcdtrading Hi I have a quick question for you. You said in a reply above that VM ware only uses 3% overhead. That would be acceptable, but Iam assuming to run Ninjatrader8 you will also be running Windows 10. So you'd be running macOS, VMware, Windows 10 and then Ninjatrader8? Is that correct? Or does VMware work differently? If not then MacOS, Windows 10 and VMware would add a lot of overhead just to run Ninjatrader8?

Comment

Originally posted by SAC-MAN View Post

Hello, sorry for the delayed response.... but the 3% is onto of the resources you allocate to the VM. Eg. If you give 8GB of ram to the VM then your system is really going to use around 8GB + 3% etc. But just to make things even more confusing, you're reserving the 8GB to that VM but the resources are shared between the host and the vm. So even if you allocate 8GB to the VM it will only use what is needed + the 3%.
            xabcdtrading
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

Originally posted by Wessel View Post
              You can also use parrallels it doesn't make any difference.
              I'd agree with 99% of what you mentioned but just wanted to add onto this one... we have a pretty large community of traders that have provided us their feedback on running NT8 on a mac... using basic functions of NinjaTrader doesn't have any issues with parallels, however we have gotten quite a lot of feedback that when there is "load" under your NT8 and doing more heavy tasks, parrallels causes a lot of stability issues. I have not looked into doing any RCA on why, but when they use fusion as an alternative the issue goes way. So we tell people to avoid the headache and just start with vmware fusion. Just thought i'd add this for anyone else that might read the thread.

xabcdtrading
              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

Hi! Is it possible to run NT if you use the Boot Camp-assistent on your MacBook to get Windows? Any experience with this?

Comment

Originally posted by Hagenroe View Post
                  Hi! Is it possible to run NT if you use the Boot Camp-assistent on your MacBook to get Windows? Any experience with this?
                  HI yes it is possible, if you see the last few posts on this thread that is exactly what we are talking about as well as the advantages and disadvantages of using bootcamp over VMware or Parallels.
                  Dual booting can be annoying however, if you have a newer MAC I'd go with using VMware (Ie not using Bootcamp,) which you can get for free if you just register on their site (this was a nice surprise).

Comment

NinjaTrader does not run natively on a MAC, but there are workarounds as suggested in this thread about using bootcamp, VMware, Parallels, etc.

Another recommendation is to run NinjaTrader on a server. A VPS allows trading with NinjaTrader on MACs, iPhones, and iPads.

The way it works is instead of running NinjaTrader on your home computer, it is installed your server which is on 24/7. This approach fixes the problem of needing to run your home computer all the time. All servers have Mobile App access, enabling you to trade on an Android, iPhone, Tablet, Mac/Windows from anywhere in the world, at anytime.

A dedicated server for trading will always outperform a similarly spec'd home computer.
                    VPS connections are 1,000mbs, so the server is always connected to the broker/data source.
                    Would highly recommend checking out
                    https://www.ninjamobiletrader.com/

They're also listed on the NinjaTrader ecosystem: https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/sea...biletrader-vps

Originally posted by Hagenroe View Post
                    Vendor_NT_Mobile
                    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Ninja Mobile Trader VPS

Comment

+1 vote for nt8 native Mac solution

Comment

I vote for a NT8 native MAC solution… The new ARM chip M1 and next… is mind-blowing and NT8 running on this chip family will be really awesome !

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
                          I've added all new votes for SFT-230

I will no longer be updating this post with new vote confirmations, but please know that your vote has been counted if you've commented here.
                          Please add my vote for SFT-230

Comment

I just completed my application and could not believe there is no MAC support... Having to setup a virtual machine environment to be able to run the platform and execute trades is ridiculous...

Comment

In the US, yes, MAC has gained 28% marketshare as of 2021.
                              This graph shows the market share of desktop operating systems in United States Of America based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

I'm a MAC user myself and I've had solid success leveraging Parallels to host this PC based program.
                              Certainly, I would relish seeing a MAC version of the program but there are development challenges supporting multiple
                              platforms if you didn't initially build the solution with a common framework/codebase.

NinjaTrader is an excellent trading platform when compared to what's out there today. If I had a choice between
                              dual platform and feature requests (some long overdue), I'd choose feature requests first.

Yes, with the new Apple M1 chip, we'd see improved performance in NT8. which would be a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by marianbusoi View Post
                                I just completed my application and could not believe there is no MAC support... Having to setup a virtual machine environment to be able to run the platform and execute trades is ridiculous...
                                Agreed. You’d think at the very least they would have come out with a browser platform. Which would allow anyone, on any device to access the platform easily so long as they had access to the internet.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                                Started by kulwinder73, Today, 10:31 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post kulwinder73