Using market replay and keeping hard drive useage low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using market replay and keeping hard drive useage low

I was wondering if when you use market replay over a long time, like say a period of months, does the accumulated historical data grow and get saved to any files on your hard drive? What are the name(s) of those files? If these file(s) keep expanding, would it do any good to save back-ups of these files before starting to use market replay and then just replace those files with the original copies once those expanded files get way out of hand in size? Thanks

Hello bortz, thanks for your post.

In Tools>Options>Market Data> enable "Enable market recording for playback" and this will record incoming live data from your data provider and save it as market replay data. The files are stored under Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\replay. From there you can also enable "Record live data as historical" and incoming live data will be written to the db folder as well. When creating a backup on NinjaTrader, you can choose to include the database, doing this will save all historical data and market replay data. You may also simply make copies the replay, tick, minute, and day folders and store those elsewhere on your harddrive.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChrisL; 09-28-2019, 04:47 PM.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks. Appreciate the help.

Comment

Hi again. I'm having a problem getting the playback working. I ticked both of the boxes as you instructed then wanted to test things out. I have TDA as my live data feed and I began watching live data on the 1 min. chart at 8am this morning and then disconnected from the live data at 11:30 am. I then connected to the playback connection to see if I could do some playback and for every chart I loaded, I get an error "Error on requesting bars series:Unknown instrument GERN". It errored out on every chart on my morning watch list that I had used earlier during the live data feed. Thinking maybe I had the playback calendar set wrong for the date and maybe that was the problem, I changed the date to show today only rather than a range of 2 days ago to now. That didn't help any. Any ideas why I can't get the charts or data to load in replay?

Comment

Hi bortz, thanks for your reply.

You must have either a GERN chart or Market Analyzer row in your workspace for the playback recording to work. Also, check to see the data is actually there by going to Tools>Historical Data> Market Replay.

Please let me know if I can assist any further.

Comment

Hi again,
            There's a bunch of tickers listed in my Historical data market replay list, including the ones in my market analyzer that are in my watch list. Besides those I keep in market analyzer as a watch list, there's also a ton of tickers that I'm not even interested in, in there as well. Do you have a tutorial video with the step by step procedure for using this thing? I used to use this feature in NT7 all the time and it was very straight forward. That's why I'm thinking there's a problem here. I watched a YouTube video of how to do this and did as it said but no dice. It wasn't one of your official videos though.
            Thanks

Comment

Hi bortz,

We have a video on using playback here:
              Learn how to use NinjaTrader's Playback feature to paper trade previous days in your favorite futures markets. Playback is free to use, so you can get starte...

It might be better if you wrote into platformsupport at ninjatrader.com and I could log into your PC to take a look for myself. If Market Replay continues to not function please consider this as it could be the fastest way of solving the issue. If you do, please reference "Attn ChrisL 2274694" in the body of your email.

Comment

Email sent. Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                47 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post aligator  
                Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM