Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NinjaTrader windows not working with software which divides a monitor into regions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaTrader windows not working with software which divides a monitor into regions?

Hi all,

I just purchased an ultrawide Dell monitor for the specific purpose of trading. Dell's Display Manager has a feature which can divide the screen into regions where you can snap windows to. For example three regions. A demonstration can be seen here:

Now, for some reason, this software does not 'recognize' NinjaTrader windows. Dell Support says this:

"I'm afraid NinjaTrader paints its own non-tracking custom borders and title bars. It's not that the windows can't be sized and/or positioned by Easy Arrange; it's that EA doesn't know when they are being sized or positioned."

Any advice?

I really hoped this can be fixed somehow. Maybe there's some other software which can work.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

We have not tested the behavior of NinjaTrader with this Dell monitor feature, however, the Dell Support technician is pretty spot on. NinjaTrader 8 has it's own window management that makes it difficult or impossible for programs like the one you're planning on using to recognize or take command of NinjaTrader's windows.

We're tracking interest in making NinjaTrader workspaces compatible with programs like these. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-1499. I've added your vote. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
      We have not tested the behavior of NinjaTrader with this Dell monitor feature, however, the Dell Support technician is pretty spot on. NinjaTrader 8 has it's own window management that makes it difficult or impossible for programs like the one you're planning on using to recognize or take command of NinjaTrader's windows.

We're tracking interest in making NinjaTrader workspaces compatible with programs like these. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-1499. I've added your vote. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ease_notes.htm
      NinjaTrader 8 has it's own window management that makes it difficult or impossible for programs like the one you're planning on using to recognize or take command of NinjaTrader's windows.

HI why? did yall design it this way? I mean you have no MAC version or Android version or Web version so, why do you not just design it in a way that works seamlessly with any Windows program designed to make the user experience more pleasant and customizable? I mean it is what it is and yall are great but does no one in the board/group meetings ever speak up and say why don't we listen to our users and implement some of the things that have been talked about for I don't know since inception of your forum? Again not bashing just taking a breath, reading lots of old posts about feature requests etc.... that to this day have been never realized yet I have apps on my phone that can do more than your standalone platform???

edit I would really like if anyone that has a technical background with software and windows operating system to chime in as I have none of these,
      again to reiterate I like the NT software I just find it amazing as a regular person in the world today how I can browse SO Many Threads with unanswered questions and issues (from many years ago and presently) except unless you are privy to the private communications which by design seem endless in the threads such as email me...send log trace...and the thread is never attended to after the fact--to help others that might stumble upon it??It's all started over again with the whole send me.... But apparently those with issues, get them resolved via private comms and are to selfish to revisit the same thread they started and update it with what was there resolution....Amazing
      Brings up the question??
      Why NT support does not revisit those threads themselves with the resolution and or CLOSE the thread(delete it) as is no help to others to wander upon a thread that has no answers just send me....
      Now my guess response is I will be told that Each individual case is.......
      Are yall hiring--LOL maybe I could be of some use to you if nothing more than litter pickup. I work cheap
      Last edited by wishing; 10-25-2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post

http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ease_notes.htm
        Hi,

Thanks for your comment.

Since there seem to exist a feature request already - is this something which have been known for a while and requested by other users? Is there any chance that this can be resolved in the near future? I'm not a coder, so I have no awareness of if this is something which can be changed with a few lines of code or if it's a huge modification.

I'm fairly confident that ultrawide screens will be replacing regular monitors in not too long and the ability to divide your screen with software will be essential to efficiently manage your workspace. It's a huge detriment if this can't be done with Ninja, so I think this is something which should be prioritized.

Do you think it's worth checking out any other software or can we already concluded that no software can be used to manage NT windows?

Best regards and thanks.

Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by wishing View Post
          I mean it is what it is and yall are great but does no one in the board/group meetings ever speak up and say why don't we listen to our users and implement some of the things that have been talked about for I don't know since inception of your forum? Again not bashing just taking a breath, reading lots of old posts about feature requests etc.... that to this day have been never realized yet I have apps on my phone that can do more than your standalone platform???
          I hate to agree with you and be the 'cranky, annoying customer', but I've had quite a few disappointments after I moved from NT7 to NT8. No software is perfect, I suppose, but there's been a little too much lately and the sum of it all adds up. Especially when there are things which worked fine with NT7 who suddenly is not working with NT8 and is not fixed either?

For example - to my awareness, it's still not possible to create daily bars using RTH (09:30-16:00) data on say e-mini S&P 500 futures. This was possible with NT7. Luckily, some user actually created an add-in which now makes it possible for me to do so. So, problem solved, I guess? But in my opinion, this should be solved by NT and implemented in their software quickly instead of a random user creating solutions and having to use custom add-ins just to display a standard chart.

Also, NT 'outlawed' their platform which used to be available with most brokers and now offers it only through a select few brokers.

The sum of all these things are making NT less competitive by the day.

But I'm 'married' to NT as a long time paying customer. I love their charts. They're beautiful. I know the software fairly well now. And most importantly - I have a lot of customed coded indicators that I've spent time and MONEY developing. So, I'm holding on for now because I'm not interested in the time needed to learn a new platform and re-code all my stuff. But sadly, I am starting to consider alternatives even still...

Best regards,

Johnny

Comment

FYI I use the following to divvy up the screen. It works for me and Im using a Dell
            Divvy is a utility for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows to quickly resize and position your windows

Comment

NinjaTrader 8 has it's own window management that makes it difficult or impossible for programs like the one you're planning on using to recognize or take command of NinjaTrader's windows

Per AndyM windivvy, I can confirm NVIDIA's nView Desktop Manager software finds it neither difficult nor impossible, it works fine for most aspects (Transparency functionality doesn't work, and nView is only available/compatible with some of their graphics cards, but otherwise...,. i.e. it's feasible).

As to why Ninja deployed a Windows management system that is less than universally compatible as others do, would be for Ninja to comment on, which they decline to. As to why the feature request has not been implemented when clearly it is possible and requested, and wasn't deployed in 8 from the outset, likewise. I'd venture to suggest - given that it is indeed possible - it has been a matter of focus and priority, focus on Order Flow tools, the latest fad, with a couple of charts on a laptop. These have been well received, I believe. Priority on this and fixing bugs in the platform that continue to be unearthed daily.

IIRC in the latest Webinar on new NT8 Features on Futures.io Ninja stated they would be looking to enhancing usability on multi-monitor setups, that sort of thing (ultrawide incl, I guess), so maybe focus here will be the next phase of development.

"how I can browse SO Many Threads with unanswered questions and issues (from many years ago and presently) except unless you are privy to the private communications which by design seem endless in the threads such as email me...send log trace...and the thread is never attended to after the fact--to help others that might stumble upon it??It's all started over again with the whole send me.... But apparently those with issues, get them resolved via private comms and are to selfish to revisit the same thread they started and update it with what was there resolution....Amazing
              Brings up the question??
              Why NT support does revisit those threads themselves with the resolution and or CLOSE the thread(delete it) as is no help to others to wander upon a thread that has no answers just send me...."

See my last entry here
              https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...utton-workings

Agree with your sentiment, but we're not all too selfish to close it off with a conclusion to help others ;-) The 'gap' in the thread was indeed private comms etc as you describe & Support is very responsive in that regard in my experience. Less so in identifying problems efficiently and effectively.

Mine linked is a text-book case. Ninja close out the thread with the conclusion? - if the conclusion is it is a platform fault, who wants to air their dirty laundry for the world to see if it has migrated to private comms and the topic fallen down the board?
              The Support Forum is just that, not a Knowledge Base.
              Transparency & humility isn't abundant from Ninja, but hey, neither is politeness always from some users!

Comment

wishing , Johnny - Thanks for the feedback

. brucerobinson , thanks for chiming in and providing your experience as well. I'll update your topic with the newest information so there isn't one more 'unanswered' topic in the forums. I agree that we could be better here and we've been making a concerted effort to do so, but we're not perfect.

wishing , if you have any specific questions about 'unanswered threads, I'll be happy to answer them. You can email me directly at PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com if you'd like. Also, keep in mind that many 'dead end' threads are the result of either the fix for that client's symptom being very specific as to be useless to post publicly (and even possibly misleading/harmful if they were to perform the same steps), or the forum user never contacted us to continue the conversation.

Deciding on features for future releases is not a simple black and white decision. There are many factors involved including but not limited to:
                • Demand which is measured by objective user requests and subjective discretion on the part of our Product Management team.
                • Feasibility
                • Developer bandwidth
                • Current projects in the queue
                • Economics
                You'll find the tracking numbers provided in the release notes when a feature is implemented:

Comment

Originally posted by AndyM View Post
                  FYI I use the following to divvy up the screen. It works for me and Im using a Dell
                  https://mizage.com/windivvy/
                  Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation. I just downloaded it and it does seem to recognize NinjaTrader windows, but it was less intuitive than the other two programs I've tried so far. I will try again tomorrow and hopefully this can be a cure for my problems.

Thanks.

Johnny

Comment

I have further tested Divvy and it seems to work.

Why?

Because Divvy seems to actually resize the windows as opposed to the other tools which creates regions you can snap your windows to. I would probably prefer the latter option, so I think still NT should try to fix this for the future, but for now, I have something which works.

Johnny

Comment

brucerobinson, thanks for writing out my deep feelings and I can assure you, in my case, there is no single PRIVATE Message that helped me to solve a problem, nor I selfishly 'privatized" a solution. As a matter of fact, I guess most of the problems remain unsolved and people like me, simply walk away without wasting time to do the debug. The point is, even if a problem is isolated, the fix still has no projected date.
                      Even though I find it also very annoying to read through a LOOOONG thread without a solution, keeping the message open has its value as a reader at least know that somewhere in time somebody had the same problem and that problem was unanswered/unsolved. This helps me to decide if I should pursue a solution further or not.

@NinjaTrader_PatrickG, I would suggest to implement thread functions like allowing the author to tag "Solved", "Best Answer" etc to facilitate other readers. These could be time savers. Of course, as the admin, Ninjatrader can always tag or close the thread with an official answer or solution.

Comment

timko , thanks for the suggestion. I'll check to see if this is possible with our current underlying forum technology.

If you have a specific thread or issue that is unresolved or unanswered, please link me to that thread or contact us via email directly. Our whole purpose is to make sure your NinjaTrader is working as expected.

Comment

@NinjaTrader_PatrickG, danke! you've always been helpful!

Comment

Well, it's working now!

I think maybe Dell Display Manager added this feature as I believe I have not upgraded NT8 since...?

That said, it's not working very well. While the Ninja Charts snap well to the layout - the window starts vibrating as soon as I scroll the chart.

I'm still using Divvy, but it's a bit stressful...It will have to work for now though.

Comment

Well, like I described above - it suddenly started working.

I just re-installed my computer, though, and now it's NOT working.

Any clues?

I assume maybe it could be related to some setting or driver, but I have no idea...

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

Johnny

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                              Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM