Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding session close and EOD bar relationship

Hi,

I'm in Australia, trying to set up NT 8 for ES trading. What I seem to be struggling with is the difference between the end of a session and the end of day bar, and when they are triggered, and when I should see them on the screen.

I thought this would be a common enough scenario, but a search of the FAQs really didn't help much.

Example:

I have open a 30min chart of ES, and have overlayed the 1 day chart of ES.
    Brisbane is 15 hours ahead of Chicago. At the moment in Brisbane, its 1:16pm on Tuesday 29th May. That means its 10:16pm on Monday 28th in Chicago.
    The Monday session runs from Mon 5pm to Tues 4pm Chicago time, which means the start of the session was 8am Tuesday 29th May in Brisbane, and the end of the previous session was 1 hour earlier at 7am Tuesday 29th May in Brisbane.

In my timeframe, on my chart, I can see a 30min bar for 29th May at 3am, and the next 30 min bar formed at 8:30am on the 29th May. This is a little confusing. Looking at previous days, there are definitely session bars that finish at 7am and start again at 8:30 am my time, so maybe the 3am ending can be explained somehow.

Anyway, more importantly, I was expecting there to be a Daily bar inserted in between the 3am bar and the 8:30am bar, which would be the end of the day for the Monday session.

But there is no daily bar at all (but there is a faint end of session vertical line there).

So my question is: Is my interpretation of the time and sessions correct, and if so, where is my daily bar?

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Last edited by brucev; 05-28-2018, 10:19 PM.

Hello brucev,

Thank you for your post. To confirm, is this occurring with all Monday bars or just with this recent week? Recent time differences for Monday may be due to the holiday hours, see the below, publicly available link for more.

https://www.ninjatraderbrokerage.com..._day_2018.html

Who are you connected to? This is displayed in green on lower left corner of the Control Center window.

We look forward to assisting further.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,
      I am using Kinetek for EOD and CQG for realtime.
      It appears to only be happening this time.
      I have attached a screenshot. For every day, you can see the larger EOD bar, and the two faint vertical markets for end of session and end of day... except for the 29th, which just has an end of session
      Cheers,
      Bruce
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

This is due to Monday the 29th hours. The ES had a 12:00pm CST Halt (3 AM Austrian time) and 5:00pm resume with regular trading on Tuesday.
        Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,
          thanks for your explanation.
          Does that mean that if a session closes early, then there won't be an End of Day bar?
          Cheers,
          Bruce

Comment

This would depend on your data provider. Some providers choose to supply a daily bar for a holiday, some merge that data into the next session.

Kinetick chooses to merge holiday data into the next session.

Comment

Hi Patrick,
              thanks for your reply. Sorry to be a nuisance, but it makes a difference to my strategy, so I need to ask one more thing.
              I am using Kinetick, and I understand no EOD bar would be shown for a holiday.
              But I don't think this is my case. There wasn't a holiday, the market just closed early
              cheers,
              Bruce

Comment

This table from the CME's website describing Memorial Day's holiday hours may make it more clear:

CME Group is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace offering the widest range of futures and options products for risk management.

(here is the full CME holiday hours page - http://www.cmegroup.com/tools-inform...-calendar.html)

The markets opened on Sunday and there was no 'close' of that session until Tuesday according to the CME.

Some data providers choose to ignore the holiday and create a 'session' from Sunday afternoon until the early close on Monday. Others choose to honor the hours from the CME and have only one session from Sunday until Tuesday.

Here is another resource from our website which touches on this concept of 'open Sunday, close Tuesday':

NinjaTrader offers exclusive software for futures trading. With our modern trading platform, you will control every step of your trading journey. Open account to trade futures with us!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post mattbsea  
                Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                6 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post RideMe