Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 vs NT7 on a VPS

Hello,

I was planning on switching to using NT8 on the VPS that I use, because there is an indicator that I really wanted to use that does not have a NT7 version; but after my testing today, I decided to continue using NT7 on the VPS.

I created new charts and a new workspace on NT8 on the VPS and was ready to start using NT8 there, but when I tested it today, there was just too much lagging.

NT8 would lag and stall when I tried to move my profit target to take profits earlier, when the market appeared to slow down.

NT8 would lag and stall when I tried to move my stop-loss to lessen my risk, when the market appeared to be going against me.

And NT8 would lag to the point where I could not access my mouse on the VPS charts, on my other monitor, until I clicked on the Remote Desktop Connection icon on my PC. That happened several times.

Screenshot of the Remote Desktop Connection icon attached.

So whatever it is that has people complaining about NT8 lagging, it still affects me to the point that I will not use NT8 on the VPS that I am using at this time, and instead will use NT7 to place my trade orders.
    Attached Files

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

Thank you for your post.

So I may look into this further please send me your log and trace files from NinjaTrader 8.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Mail to Platform Support.

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please list 'ATTN: Patrick H' in the subject line and reference this thread in the body of the email.

I look forward to your response.

Comment

I have started testing this week to run NT8 on a VPS and it is difficult for me to find VPS with Directx 10 support since this is a property of the hardware that VPS does not usually have.

Comment

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

Thank you for sending me the files.

Consistently in the Log files I am seeing the following message when NinjaTrader 8 crashes:
        • Indicator '': Error on calling 'OnStateChange' method: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This would indicate an indicator is generating the error and the crashing. Please run NinjaTrader 8 in Safe Mode and advise if the crash is still seen.

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
        • Loading workspaces.
        • Connecting on start-up.
        • Loading custom assemblies.
        • Getting instrument updates from the server.

To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
        • Exit NinjaTrader.
        • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
        • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
        • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.

I look forward to your detail on this test.

Comment

Hello franki,

Thank you for your post.

Are you looking for a VPS service that will support Direct X 10 or were you able to find such a service?

I look forward you response.

Comment

Amazon Web Services have "Accelerated Computing" VPS instances which have GPUs, check them here
            Amazon EC2 instance types comprise varying combinations of CPU, memory, storage, and networking capacity. This gives you the flexibility to choose an instance that best meets your needs.

Microsoft Azure has GPU accelerated instances as well
            Lists the different GPU optimized sizes available for virtual machines in Azure. Lists information about the number of vCPUs, data disks and NICs as well as storage throughput and network bandwidth for sizes in this series.
            Last edited by hurleydood; 05-29-2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Hmm, DirectX 10 is supported since Windows 2008 R2 so I don't think that's the problem.
              See this screenshot from two of my VPS, a 2008 R2 and a 2012 R2, both have DirectX 11 and Ninja 8 is working smoothly on both.
              We have dozens or hundreds of NT8 users on our VPS and I never heard of issues with DirectX on them. It looks like a but in an indicator or in a strategy, "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" should not appear .

@hurleydood: GPU based VM are not an option:
              - this can be used for GPU computing (based on Nvidia CUDA) but it's not related to the display itself or DirectX
              - the virtualization of GPU is not very efficient, it's mainly use to develop the code which will be run later on physical GPU.
              Attached Files

Comment

@sam028 Can you recommend a VPS?

Comment

Originally posted by hurleydood View Post
                  @sam028 Can you recommend a VPS?
                  See https://www.ninjatraderbrokerage.com/hosting_services .
                  But as the owner of www.speedytradingservers.com I'm maybe slightly biased .

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
                    Hello franki,

Thank you for your post.

Are you looking for a VPS service that will support Direct X 10 or were you able to find such a service?

I look forward you response.
                    Hi! NinjaTrader_PatrickH
                    With NT7 and other CFD brokers I have used the VPS vultr network with good results in speed and latency, because it has many geolocations and I install the VPS machine in the closest location to the broker or data server.
                    the staff of vultr today I had this answer
                    Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. DirectX generally requires a GPU card. Server hardware is designed primarily for running remote headless server applications and as a result there is not dedicated video card. Video is limited to basic desktop video intended for server administration tasks. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks,

Mike Burke
                    System Administrator
                    Some of the options is to contact CME Data Center Aurora, IL (CME Aurora VPS) and check the compatibility with NT8, likewise I will also consult the solutions commented by Sam28, and Patrick if you have any advice is also well received.
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sam028 View Post
                      See https://www.ninjatraderbrokerage.com/hosting_services .
                      But as the owner of www.speedytradingservers.com I'm maybe slightly biased .
                      Hi Sam028
                      For the screenshots that I see in your previous message, you are using Large VPS for windows 2008 R2 and Mega VPS for windows 2012 R2, does NT8 actually work in Large VPS?
                      For the minimum specifications of NT8 the server adapting as minimum would be Xtra-Large VPS, correct?
                      Another question is, what is the geolocation of the VPS or distance of the data server?
                      Thanks Sam028

Comment

Originally posted by franki View Post
                        Hi Sam028
                        For the screenshots that I see in your previous message, you are using Large VPS for windows 2008 R2 and Mega VPS for windows 2012 R2, does NT8 actually work in Large VPS?
                        For the minimum specifications of NT8 the server adapting as minimum would be Xtra-Large VPS, correct?
                        Another question is, what is the geolocation of the VPS or distance of the data server?
                        Thanks Sam028
                        We're going way off-topic but:
                        - NT8 can work on a 1.5 GB VPS, all depends on what you'll run in Ninja. Basically check the RAM used by Ninjatrader process in your usual environment then add 512 MB, this will be the minimum RAM recommended.
                        - it depends on the market data servers but most of them are in the same building as our machines so < 1 ms away.

Comment:
                        - unless you're a big bank using DMA you're never directly connected to Aurora CME servers
                        - the pipes between 350E Cermak rd (where everybody is) and Aurora are huge and efficient, being in Aurora (assuming your market gateway is also there) won't be good on a price/performance ratio (negligible/invisible latency gain vs 3 to 4 times more expensive).
                        - the answer from Vultr is not accurate, DirectX can be use without a dedicated video card.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
                        5 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick  
                        Started by swestendorf, Today, 11:14 AM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_Kimberly