Money Management Strat - How to place orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money Management Strat - How to place orders

I think it might be best if I begin by describing my money management strategy that I would like to test, then maybe someone can give me some insight on how to execute it in ninjatrader.

I will use a long entry as an example and will use the RTY as test instrument. Given that each tick in the RTY is worth $5 and 10ticks = $50.00

So I enter long in the market with 3 contracts using an ATM strategy that places a stop loss 10 ticks below my entry price and a target 25 ticks above my entry price. This is what I call my first tier entry and this works fine with the ATM. My target is 2.5 times my risk (risk = $150 / reward=$375). When tier 1 hits 10 ticks in profit (equal to my risk), the ATM moves the stop to breakeven (tier one entry price. This is to keep the trade risk at about $150 when I enter the market again in tier two..

Now this is where it gets harry. My tier two entry occurs with the same number of contracts 10 ticks above my tier one entry price. My tier two entry will be driven by a different ATM with a 10 tick stop loss and a 15 tick target (1.5 times the tier two risk). When the second entry happens, the first entry is moved to break even and the second entry is establishing a trade with my original risk of $150.00. Setting a target for tier 2 at 15 ticks will make the target of tier one and tier two the same price. this will change my risk reward to a risk of $150 with a reward of $225+ $375 = $600. So, for the over all trade my target is four times my risk (risk=$150, target =$600). According to my math, as long as this works more that 20% of the time, I will be profitable.

The trick is setting the stop limit above my entry price. When I click the buy column on the superdome next to the price 10 ticks above my tier one entry, it enters the market immediately at the current market price. I set the MIT option on left click to true and it dose the same thing. When I right click on a chart near the tier two entry price I get an option for a buy stop market, no buy stop limit.

Ideally, I would like to get the ATM to add the second tier stop limit order 10 ticks above my tier one entry - but the ATM doesn't seem to allow tiered entry - only tiered exits.

I am hoping that I provided enough information to describe what I am trying to accomplish. My question is how do I put a stop limit order into the market 10 ticks in the money of an existing trade and have it managed by a second ATM?

Hello,

Thanks for writing in today.

You can submit multiple ATM strategy orders with different parameters by setting you ATM Strategy Selection Mode to "Keep Selected ATM Strategy Template on Order Submission"

Most of the NinjaTrader order entry screens have three modes that you can set to determine the behavior of the ATM Strategy selection control list upon submission of an order that enters the market/initiates an ATM Strategy. You can set this mode via the order entry screen's Properties dialog window that is accessible via the right mouse click context menu.

This mode is designed for traders who by default, want to always create a new set of Stop Loss and Profit Target brackets (new ATM Strategy) with each new order placed. An example of this would be a trader who wanted a single bracket placed with a Stop Loss of four ticks and a Profit Target of eight ticks. The trader wants to place two entry limit orders, the first at a price of X and the second at a price of X - 2 ticks. The purpose is to scale into an overall position but have the brackets be submitted and calculated from each individual fill price of the two orders.

More information can be found below in our Help Guide article regarding this topic:

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That is an interesting one. It’s been a while since the last time I came across a “different” money management strategy. I’ve been working with http://www.thefinitygroup.com when it comes to our family’s financial planning. We decided to trust our financial lives with them. However, lately, I’ve been trying to get into financial management as well, and I am currently studying it. I was surprised by the money management strategy you described, and I haven’t read anything similar. I’ll learn more about it now. Thank you for sharing it with us.That is an interesting one. Thanks for sharing.
      Last edited by dispratceed; 06-22-2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
      10 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Leafcutter  
      Started by Rapine Heihei, 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
      2 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Max238