Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RemoveDrawObject() causes the NinjaTrader Platform to Crash

To NT Development Team,

I have a very strong suspicion that the RemoveDrawObject() method is faulty. If a user includes the RemoveDrawObject() method in their code without first checking whether the object is null then this will cause NinjaTrader to crash intermittently. In addition, I suspect that you must also go a step further and check whether the object is the intended type (ex., "is DrawingTools.Line") or the platform will still crash. This is a problem that I noted goes back to NinjaTrader version 7 and I have shied away from calling the RemoveDrawObject() method as a result. I guess I figured that NinjaTrader would've discovered and fixed the problem by now. However, I'm now bringing it to the attention of the development team and hopefully someone could look into it.

I think the below code from your user documentation works but I'm not 100% sure.

Code:
    if (DrawObjects["someTag"] != null && DrawObjects["someTag"] is DrawingTools.Line)
    {
        RemoveDrawObject("someTag")
    }
    On a side note, I have not had any problems with the general version method: RemoveDrawObjects().

Hello maltese ,

Thank you for the post.

Do you have a test script which reproduces a crash that you can attach? The syntax you provided is generally not needed to remove an object, mainly only the string name is needed. If you have a sample which shows the whole context of the problem that would be helpful and I could forward that to development for review.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
      Hello maltese ,

Thank you for the post.

Do you have a test script which reproduces a crash that you can attach? The syntax you provided is generally not needed to remove an object, mainly only the string name is needed. If you have a sample which shows the whole context of the problem that would be helpful and I could forward that to development for review.

Hi,

Unfortunately the code is proprietary where I'm using the statements. However, I provided an example in my original post regarding how I remove specific draw objects now and I have included how I use to remove draw objects below. I believe the problem should be reproducible on your end, albeit intermittently, with test code.

OLD WAY:

Code:

[SIZE=12px]RemoveDrawObject("someTag");[/SIZE]
      OR:
      Code:

[SIZE=12px]if (DrawObjects["someTag"] != null) {     RemoveDrawObject("someTag"); }[/SIZE] [SIZE=10px][/SIZE]

Comment

Hello maltese,

I have tried using RemoveDrawObject() however that works for my test, using RemoveDrawObject is the standard way the help guide suggests to remove objects. To file a bug report we would need something more solid in this case, for this type of issue a sample of the syntax used is what we would need to explore the problem.

If the code is proprietary this would be a good situation to further debug and extract a sample of the syntax before you continue. Extracting the code may also help to find the problem in your script in case the sample works, this could help to isolate if the problem is specifically related to removing objects.

When creating a sample we do not suggest providing a complete or proprietary script as we are unable to debug your custom code, instead we would suggest only including the syntax related to seeing the problem to highlight the issue. This allows us to run the code and see the problem, after verifying a problem exists we can create a bug report. You can additionally email our platform support at ninjatrader.com if you don't want to use the forums.

If you can also provide the specific steps you are using with the script when you see the problem that would help expedite reviewing the case.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
          Hello maltese,

I have tried using RemoveDrawObject() however that works for my test, using RemoveDrawObject is the standard way the help guide suggests to remove objects. To file a bug report we would need something more solid in this case, for this type of issue a sample of the syntax used is what we would need to explore the problem.

If the code is proprietary this would be a good situation to further debug and extract a sample of the syntax before you continue. Extracting the code may also help to find the problem in your script in case the sample works, this could help to isolate if the problem is specifically related to removing objects.

When creating a sample we do not suggest providing a complete or proprietary script as we are unable to debug your custom code, instead we would suggest only including the syntax related to seeing the problem to highlight the issue. This allows us to run the code and see the problem, after verifying a problem exists we can create a bug report. You can additionally email our platform support at ninjatrader.com if you don't want to use the forums.

If you can also provide the specific steps you are using with the script when you see the problem that would help expedite reviewing the case.

I hear you but I don't want to get pulled into helping debug this issue. I really just wanted to bring it to your technical team's attention so that someone on your end can take a look at it. Unfortunately, I can't spend any more time on this but thanks for your help.

Regards

Comment

Hello maltese,

Thank you for the clarification.

If you find the time to further debug your script I would be happy to continue with the issue further. At this time I am unable to reproduce the problem with the given details. If you find other details which can help to recreate the problem using only the syntax provided I would be happy to give that another try.

Please let me know if I may be of additional assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by cre8able, Today, 03:20 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post cre8able  
            Started by Fran888, 02-16-2024, 10:48 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes