Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Playback for testing is truly appalling ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playback for testing is truly appalling ...

Hi,

My subject line says it all...

This past week I've been attempting to test some code I run in realtime without issues. I have 1 weeks of a single instrument (nq) replay data downloaded.

Firstly, playback is appallingly slow and comes in weird bursts. Even at 30x, you'll get nothing for a seconds, then all at once. For anything relying on the more natural sequence of things, albeit in an accelerated manner, it's useless. Dom action is also unreadable like this. Also,. If for any reason you rewind to start of data again, then hit play, even at 100x, you'll be lucky to get 1 second per second! To fix this requires a platform restart.

Surely there must have been a more sensible way to implement this? My platform can play back the data in realtime far faster than in playback, so this isn't a general performance issue, as such (besides, it's a true powerhouse of a pc)....

To give you an idea of how slow playback is, I recorded a little video. This is with 2 windows only open. Both NQ tick charts. You can see the actual time in the clock, vs the time being played back . It manages about 1 second per several real seconds! Note, this is after it's been running for a couple hours. It does slow down considerably once playback has been running a while. orders are being placed during this time, but pretty infrequently and there are no resting orders. i.e., they are placed at market when the time is right.

So, I don't get these issues with the exact same charts and code during real-time. I've NEVER had any success with playback since NT8 released. A few revisions past since I last tried it, and I'd say, it's still terrible, but it's better than it used to be! (so that's saying something).

What special considerations, if any are there for indicators in playback that might cause this? fyi - I've emailed support the log and trace from todays testing, quoting this thread.

Anyone got any tips? Or got it working? (please note - If the response is, if I run it on a single chart, bare, with zero indicators, it works, please keep quiet else I may hit my head too hard...)

Thanks!
    Last edited by pjsmith; 11-09-2019, 10:32 AM.

Hello pjsmith,

Thank you for your note.

I am writing to let you know we have received your log files via email and will follow up with you directly after we have analyzed them.

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
    8 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post rehmans
    by rehmans

Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
    0 responses