Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Machine ID changed on the same hardware!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback for NT team. I've had this multiple times, usually after a BIOS update. Right pain in the butt!

Comment

This subject has recently peaked my curiosity a bit..
      as I'm starting to feel the effects of this as well..

First off, for whatever reason, I don't personally have this issue!

My machine id has changed twice since I started playing with Beta 1..
      Once going from Win7 to Win10, and the other was a video card update..

(In my experience any bios or hardware update is 100% gonna change MID)
      And honestly, if this was only time mid changed, this more than acceptable.

But with Windows Software Updates, my machine id has not changed once!
      Now I'm not complaining, Just trying to understand why others and not me..

The only difference I've been able to concern.. Is I'm using Win10 Pro..
      and so far all of my customers effected seem to be using Win10 Home or MAC..

Would definitely be helpful to identify your setup when posting here..
      Maybe then we can isolate something specific that might be helpful..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Just a poll for my own sanity: For Any Windows 10 Professional Users:
      Has your machine id ever changed after completing a Windows Update?
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Need to reply if this has not been an issue for you..
      Just looking for couple 'yes' to invalidate my hypothesis.

Be Safe in this Crazy World!
      -=Edge=-
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

The issue being experienced by many users where the Machine ID changes often certainly deserves review and analysis to understand why it is so.

From my perspective, the NinjaTrader 8 Machine ID should align with a "system", representing an identifiable compute platform that is the "place of residence" of the NT8 installation. That system may correspond with a "box" (desktop, laptop, etc) or a virtual machine (VM, VPS, etc).

Where it is a physically identifiable box, it is straightforward to obtain the ProcessorID and BaseBoard SerialNumber of the hardware, for example. These should rarely change, and if they do, there may be merit in assuming the box is a different box and therefore should be treated as a security matter as is currently done. Requiring much more than these basic hardware identities seems problematic, given that they are (probably) unlikely to be "faked" and align well with the concept of a unique system.

For virtual systems, the matter is a little more complex and not something I am qualified to comment on. Others may be able to offer relevant approaches.

For the proposed feature change mentioned in Post 36 above, I would caution against a wholesale removal of the security approach as it currently is. Taking my comments above into account should dramatically reduce the issue, and if changes to the security aspect are made, they should be implemented as an option to enable/disable the security feature.

Thanks.
        Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
        jeronymite
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

I have also had this problem several times. Although my indicator provider responds relatively quickly it is extremely annoying to not be able to trade until this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by FMtrader View Post
            You can also add my vote to changing NT8's licensing system. A BIOS update some months ago wiped out all my licensing for a heap of 3rd party indicators plus all my connection settings. It took me a number of days to get it all working again after I sent dozens of emails. Not something you expect!!!
            Well I just got hit by this problem once again. I think it is the 6th or 7th time it has happened to me. As usual, I lost all my connection settings, my NT8 went back to unregistered and a whole raft of indicators became unlicensed. Several emails and 36 hours later and I am back online. One of my vendors has now started rewriting their software to incorporate a new licensing method as they are sick of the problems it has been causing both them and their customers. Will this issue ever be fixed?

Comment

It's been over a year since NT support has chimed in on this issue. Is there any update or roadmap?

Thank you!

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Currently, there is no update on this particular security measure changing.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
                Dennis E.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Chelsea,

I would like to add my vote for this. It's a simple solution. Remove the dependency of us on the vendor issuing a new machine ID.

This can be done by tying the installation to NinjaTrader connection/machine id. The vendor would then not be able to charge simply for the need to update the machine id. This also helps the vendor relieved of a manual task of doing so. I've seen fees of $35.- which isn't exorbitant of a 1/2 hour job, but still there is a dependency to a 3rd party who may/may not be available/willing to reissue the machine id.

I see the post going as long as 4 pages ... it's time to do something about it.

Add my vote please.

Many Thanks, Caesar.

Comment

Add my vote also.
                    5 changes in a year for one user isn't acceptable.

Thomas Deutschmann

Comment

Its highway robbery for a vendor to charge to have a machine ID changed for your indicator. I think its a disgrace. Its your indicator you paid for it and its their responsibility to maintain it. None if this garbage from them that it uses up their time. Its easy money for nothing for them and an added income stream. They should have a disclaimer stating this before you purchase, but they wont because they want the added cash for their useless indicators

As an example Shark indicators have a system that allows you to change your machine ID online without any interaction from support, and the machine ID change is instant. So if your machine ID changes just do it online. That is the professional and way to do things. I would never buy a 3rd party indicator unless they do it in that manner. Unfortunately with laptops, especially Dell the bios or system upgrades happen regularly, and that will change the ninjatrader machine ID.

Rant finished
                      Last edited by AndyM; 02-25-2023, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Any updates on this? Having the same issue. Everytime I connect to topstep it corrupts the sqlite db file. If I delete the sqlite file then log back in it works. If i connect to APEX, no issues whatsoever. Why or what is corrupting the sqlite file? Thanks

Comment

Hello SpartanGR77,

Thank you for using NinjaTrader.

The behavior you are describing is different than what the original post is about. Your connections shouldn't have any effect on your database files. Please write into [email protected] along with your log and trace files and a link to this forum post. In your response, please also include 'ATTN Justin' in the subject line so it arrives in my inbox. Please do not upload these files to the forums as they may include personal information and will be removed.

Follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to your response so I may investigate this matter further.
                          • Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
                          • Right-click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                          • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
                          • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.
                          Thank you in advance for these files. I look forward to assisting you further. ​
                          Justin D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by FMtrader View Post

Well I just got hit by this problem once again. I think it is the 6th or 7th time it has happened to me. As usual, I lost all my connection settings, my NT8 went back to unregistered and a whole raft of indicators became unlicensed. Several emails and 36 hours later and I am back online. One of my vendors has now started rewriting their software to incorporate a new licensing method as they are sick of the problems it has been causing both them and their customers. Will this issue ever be fixed?
                            This has just happened yet again since I needed to upgrade my machine BIOS. Once again I have lost my licensing on many third party indicators from well known suppliers. I have just sent out a raft of emails and hopefully within 1 or 2 days I will be able to trade again. Seriously this is a ridiculous situation where one's system gets wiped out by a fairly common PC upgrade involving no change to any hardware.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by terofs, Yesterday, 04:18 PM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post terofs
                            by terofs

Started by CommonWhale, Today, 09:55 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes