Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Vertical grid lines at fixed levels (hourly) not possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical grid lines at fixed levels (hourly) not possible?

Hi,

Ninja has by default vertical grid lines and I have found that I can adjust the colors on these, but there doesn't seem to be any settings as to where to put them?

Is that correct?

I trade US Equities RTH and would like vertical lines at each whole hour, i.e., 10:00, 11:00, ..., 15:00, 16:00.

Is this not possible?

My default chart size seems to plot vertical line at 10:30, 11:30, etc., which I could live with, BUT, as soon as I change the scale of the axis, it's all of a sudden spaced differently.

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for the post.

You can edit the vertical line's time anchor by expanding the data menu in the drawing tool configuration window. A custom script would need to be written to add a line on each hour automatically.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Here is an easy way to show vertical chart marker times of your choice....add box bars to your chart set to your desired times....color the box bar fill transparent....in the example below, hourly & 1/2 hour box bars have been added to a 1 minute chart (with just the box bar outlines showing) ....

Thanks....
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChrisL View Post
        Hello Johnny,

Thanks for the post.

You can edit the vertical line's time anchor by expanding the data menu in the drawing tool configuration window. A custom script would need to be written to add a line on each hour automatically.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
        Hi,

Do you mean the properties window?

See, for the vertical axis, you can conveniently choose between fixed or automatic.

FWIW, I currently have the vertical set at 10 points, so regardless of how I scale my charts, the distance betweeen horizontal lines on the vertical axis is 10 points.

Great.

But I think it's a huge disadvantage that a similar option isn't available for the horizontal scale.

I bet there's many other traders than me who would have appreciated fixed vertical lines at the whole hour. I've seen many threads on this in the past. In my opinion, one shouldn 't be needing custom programming for something so basic.

Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred View Post
          Here is an easy way to show vertical chart marker times of your choice....add box bars to your chart set to your desired times....color the box bar fill transparent....in the example below, hourly & 1/2 hour box bars have been added to a 1 minute chart (with just the box bar outlines showing) ....

Thanks....
          Hi.

That's a good suggestion and I did actually try that before posting.

However, using the US Equities RTH session template, I get the vertical lines at each half hour and not each hour. Is there a fix for this?

I'd like it to plot at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, etc. Since the day starts at 09:30, a 60 minute plots at 09:30-10:30, 10:30-11:30, etc.

Vertical lines are of course preferrable, but if I could set this up with bars, it could work as an intermediate solution for a while.

Comment

Another Possibility....

Here's another possibility....set up the Fibonacci Timing Extensions draw tool with 8 equal divisions....start at 6am & end at 2pm....this will give you the hourly divisions you are looking for.....screen shot example below....

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred View Post
              Here's another possibility...
              Hi, Alfred,

I have to commend you for your creativity! I just tried it now and couldn't quite get it to work on the first attempt (on my way to work).

Regardless, this is a solution that would only work for one trading day, right?

I typically would like to have this for my whole chart history.

Comment

The vertical axis can be adjusted to be set at fixed points,i.e., 10 points on my attached chart.

To me, it's pretty amazing that this can't be done on the horizontal axis as well. I imagine this must be very quickly done for a programmer? If not custom designed time plots, at least the possibility of fixed vertical lines at each whole hour?

It's a very basic feature, IMO.

Any comments, Ninja? Can this be added?
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                  Hi, Alfred,

Regardless, this is a solution that would only work for one trading day, right?

I typically would like to have this for my whole chart history.

For your whole chart history a 1/2 hour & 1 hour box bars combo will work in a way...
                  If hourly markers are important to you some custom programming might be best.

Comment

Hi Alfred,

Your efforts are appreciated. Thank you.

Regarding custom programming, I've already had 3 custom programming jobs done for NT8 where 2 of them were to accomplish basic features available in most other platforms.

It's starting to get expensive to hire programmers just to accomplish basic stuff.

I'm also not too fond of the idea of having multiple custom indicators running while live trading either.

Sierra Charts is known to quickly implement stuff that's pointed out by their users and customers. I wish NT could learn from that and be a bit faster on development, ESPECIALLY when it's stuff that is as basic as this and likely something all users would appreciate having.

Comment

If not vertical lines - would it be possible to have the X-axis show only 30-minute readings? I.e., 09:30, 10:00, 10:30, 11:00, ..., 15:30, 16:00?

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for your post.

There are no direct means to control the x-axis (time) display as there is with the Y-axis (price).

I will create a feature request for this. If one already exists, your vote will be added to it.

A feature request does not mean the feature will or will not be implemented but it does keep your interests in front of program management who routinely review feature requests for possible implementation.

I note the negativity of your previous comments and would offer that NT8 was created from over 500 such user requests and since then we have implemented many feature requests and these can be observed/summarized in the release notes for each version. You may wish to review the progression of these: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Once I have the feature request number, I will update this thread for your reference.

Thanks to member Alfred for trying to provide options for you.
                        Last edited by NinjaTrader_PaulH; 06-04-2019, 12:49 PM. Reason: added "will".
                        Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PaulH View Post
                          Hello Johnny,

Thanks for your post.

There are no direct means to control the x-axis (time) display as there is with the Y-axis (price).

I will create a feature request for this. If one already exists, your vote will be added to it.

A feature request does not mean the feature will or will not be implemented but it does keep your interests in front of program management who routinely review feature requests for possible implementation.
                          Thanks.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PaulH View Post
                          I note the negativity of your previous comments and would offer that NT8 was created from over 500 such user requests and since then we have implemented many feature requests and these can be observed/summarized in the release notes for each version. You may wish to review the progression of these: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Once I have the feature request number, I will update this thread for your reference.

Thanks to member Alfred for trying to provide options for you.
                          Great.

Personally, I feel Ninja is lacking some very basic tools which would be super fast to implement. Programmers implemented my basic needs very fast. < 1,5 hours on most.

For example, being able to plot OHLC horizontal lines for each trading day is what I consider a very basic feature. I and others have asked this in the past. It's still not available. I noticed other basic stuff also when scrolling the forum that's been asked for forever, but is still not getting implemented.

Better to get the basic stuff handled first before moving on to the advanced stuff, IMO.

Plotting vertical lines at whole hours would be one such thing. This is super easy to do with horizontal lines (fixed at your desired price level). Should be super easy to do the same with vertical lines.

Not negative. Just frustrated at times. But overall a happy customer.

Comment

Originally posted by cairyta

I trade US Equities RTH and would like vertical lines at each whole hour, i.e., 10:00, 11:00, ..., 15:00, 16:00.

Is this not possible?
                            Not without custom programming or a drawing tool (can be cumbersome).

Comment

I have now created a custom indicator for this purpose.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post trilliantrader  
                              Started by Davidtowleii, Today, 12:15 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Davidtowleii