Reverse with the same ATM strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse with the same ATM strategy

When I enter with an ATM selected, and then later hit reverse, sometimes it includes the ATM strategy and sometimes it doesn't (the atm strategy is still selected in chart trader). Can you explain why it does sometimes and sometimes not?

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
    • What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.?.?)
    • When this occurs, do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
    • Are you able to reproduce this symptom 100% of the time? Or does it seem random?
    • When you say that "...the atm strategy is still selected in chart trader...", do you mean the ATM template (no lightning bolt) or the active ATM strategy (lightning bolt)?
    Here is a short video demonstrating the difference between an active ATM strategy, an ATM template, and how this affects how the reverse button behaves:The behavior of the ATM control list is controlled by the 'ATM Strategy Selection Mode' which is discussed here:

Comment

Thanks....that video helped!

Comment

Hello Patrick,
        This caught my eye because in the past I have had and continue to on occasion have behaviours with ATM Strategies that I don't understand (using the SuperDOM, rather than Chart Trader). I tried to get clarification/understanding from Support but eventually gave up and adopted the workaround that if problematic simply close or manage out of the position.

Hoping to self-educate further in order that I might one day resolve, I watched your video.
        This confused me further, but I believe what you're trying to convey is that for Reverse to apply the ATM Strategy in reverse, you first must have selected an ATM Strategy attached to the trade you are wishing to reverse, and must have left this remaining as the active ATM Strategy when you hit Reverse.

If after original Entry you change the ATM Strategy in the drop-down menu to None the Reverse Entry will have no ATM Strategy attached to it, and further more (it was your final action around 00:40s which confused me) if you select ANY ATM Strategy OTHER THAN the Active one attached when the order was placed - even if it is the SAME template (in your case ATM 1) the Reverse Order will not have an ATM Strategy attached. The ONLY situation in which a Reverse action will apply an ATM Strategy is when the Active one is left 'in tact'.

But that is the Default situation anyhow.... If you select an ATM Strategy, place a trade, hit Reverse the ATM Strategy remains attached and active for the reverse entry.
        Presumably as your reply answered the OP's question they must have been changing in between Entry & Reverse.

Just want to make sure my understanding is correct. Sadly doesn't clear up the issues I experience however, but ever onward.

Kind regards
        Last edited by brucerobinson; 11-21-2019, 04:46 AM.

Comment

brucerobinson , your understanding is correct. The active ATM strategy that is associated with the original entry must be selected in the ATM Control List for the reverse button to apply that ATM strategy when pressed. By default (due to 'ATM strategy selection mode') the active strategy should be selected, so hitting the reverse button should work. If any default settings are changed or if the control list is changed, I would expect the reverse button would not apply the ATM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post arvidvanstaey  
          Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
          16 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post samish18