Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOL Indicator display when used on Tick chart with Sessions

Hello,
    Please see attached Chart Window capture.
    Note there is an increased density of bars corresponding to the purple-shaded area on the chart, and it appears each bar has a different colour strength (as far as I can perceive this is not simply an effect of greater density of bars, if you compare one bar in the purple-shaded section with a neighbour in the gold-shaded they have different 'density'/strength, but there is no Opacity Setting in VOL).

Composition of the Chart:

1 Data Series with Custom (modified CME US Equity stock platform) template Full ETH split into 2 Sessions - Overnight, Day plus Closed period 16:15 - 16:30 EST
    1 Data Series as Full but Overnight Session only
    1 Data Series as Full but Day Session only
    1 Data Series stock Nymex Energy RTH (pit Session)

VOL Indicator is attached to Full Data Series

The shading is achieved using Ninjatrader's Repeater add-on which shows the Overnight (purple), Pit open (gold), Day (light yellow/green) and final half hour (dark green). Repeater is time-based not Data Series hence un-connected.

No 3rd party indicators/add-ons, only stock indicators and irrelevant add-on (Ninja Rollover add-on)

The question is why?

I've investigated everything I can possibly think of regarding settings to no avail. I'm wondering if it is something glaringly simple I am misunderstanding but it is counter-intuitive that there should be more bars and cumulatively more volume during the overnight session (clearly there isn't, but visually gives the appearance).

Any ideas?

For testing/investigation, I separated the 4 Data Series into separate Panels, and attached at VOL indicator to EACH series. The 'Full' displays as per the attached Capture, the other 3 all have more dense volume histogram once the Pit Session has ENDED until the Pit Session begins.

The FDAX and GC Tick charts do the same thing - i.e. the histogram becomes 'brighter' with more bars AFTER the end of the EUREX Session, and GC AFTER the end of the NYMEX Energy/Metals RTH2 trading hours template End at 13:30 (EST). Clearly there is more, not less, volume during the overlap between the Eurex and NY Sessions on the FDAX, and more, not less, volume during the Nymex pit Session than after it ends.

Live Data Provider is CQG/AMP.
    Anything to do with where the data is coming from - live Day Session from CQG, otherwise from Ninja servers?

This doesn't seem to occur, or at least not be apparent, on minute=based charts/VOL.

I can send screen captures of 4 separate panels, other instruments etc if required if you give me a ticket number, - but everything is 'stock' or modified from stock such as Trading Hours templates, and it is repeated in different charts/different instruments

Kind regards,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by brucerobinson; 11-24-2019, 06:26 AM.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

I'd like to take a look at your log and trace files for this issue. These files contain diagnostic information related to what is occurring on your platform that will help us resolve this issue in a timely manner.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "ATTN Marco G" in the subject line and a link to this forum post in the message body so I may investigate this matter further.

Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
    Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
    Once you have emailed these to us, you may delete these compressed folders.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this item for you.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

As requested by email, I ran Ninja in Safe Mode, & created a chart with VOL added. The problem does not occur.
      Kind regards,

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you for your reply.

I have replied to you via email directly. To avoid confusion, let's keep it to one form of communication so I can assist you in the best possible manner.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to your reply.
        Sergey S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

As requested, repeated in Regular mode. The problem does not occur

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

After your testing in safe mode and opening the platform normally, are you experiencing this issue anymore?

We want to make sure this issue is resolved before closing this inquiry.

Comment

Hello Tabor,
              Sergey corresponded by email on behalf of Marco.
              I replied here so that others may find the info via search in future, if it adds to the knowledge base..
              To summarise:
              - in Safe Mode, with a naked chart and single instrument the issue does not occur
              - in Regular Mode, with a naked chart and single instrument the issue does not occur.
              The issue remains otherwise.
              Kind regards,

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Do you still have your chart zoomed out to the levels in your first screenshot? I am thinking that this issue is that the bars are very close together and that is affecting the color of the bars.

If that is not the case then it is either something to do with your modified data series, or you manually modified the bar colors yourself (which I do not think is the case).

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hello Tabor and thanks.
                  Hereto attached is a capture from today's FDAX tick chart.

FWIW, I believe there are clues as follows:
                  - use as reference points the Eurex Close at 11:30 where the area shading changes from light green to darker green
                  Notice - before the Close, the Candlesticks have small gaps between them. After the Eurex Close, still during the NY Day Session, the Candlesticks do not have gaps between them. This requires close examination, which may be difficult on a screenshot but is most easy to discern where there are railroad track parallel bars such as at 11:18. Whereas after 11:30 there is nevera space between adjacent bars. Accordingly, there are gaps between the VOL histogram bars before 11:30, whereas (corresponding to the no gap between bars Candlesticks) the VOL histogram bars are adjacent to each other/no gaps.

This 'greater density per linear x-axis unit' may be responsible for the apparent difference in brightness - I don't know. I can confirm I have not changed the colour. Even if I had, such a change would apply to the entire series of VOL bars.

So, it seems to me, FWIW, the problem is to do with the linear x-axis scale being different during the two Sessions. ?

And that, it seems to me, FWIW, must be something to do with the use of multiple Data Series with individual Session Trading Hours templates.

However, note that the Data Series displayed is a single Data Series of ETH continuous Trading Hours only. By which I mean it is not, for example, a Data Series of the Overnight Session using a unique Trading Hours template, plus a Data Series of the Day Session with its own template.

To my mind, FWIW, the presence of the additional hidden Data Series (Overnight Session trading hours template, and RTH Session trading hours Session template) must be having some effect on the X-axis scale for these periods on the Full RTH Data Series candlesticks.

It seems to me, the Data Series visible should be the determining series for the period displayed regardless of what other data series may be present and hidden.

But, if so, it is beyond my skill and paygrade to understand why, how and how to fix it.....

The reason, I expect, is that it will be considered expected behaviour ;-)

Or these ideas may be incorrect and looking in the wrong direction altogether Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	415
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1078942

Kind regards

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

From the screenshot you provided it looks color change of your custom zones is causing the colors to be changed for your bars. I would contact the developer of your addon and discuss with them how to avoid your bars colors being affected.

In regards to your missing bar at 11:30, what time zone are you in so that I can see if that bar is missing from your chart or from your data provider.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hello Tabor and thank you for assisting.

With respect, would you kindly ask PatrickG to cast his beady eye over this thread and apply his grey-matter to the problem. I know that he is intimately aware of how multiple Data Series inter-relate (I recall having an issue where it was necessary to 'stretch' the axis to get them to align. I'm not saying this is exactly the same, but I have historic reason to think it may be along those lines).

The 'custom zones' is a Ninjatrader add-on, Repeater v2.2 - as I stated in my Post #1 I don't have any 3rd party add-ons or indicators.
                      As I also stated, it is time-based, not driven off the bars. So, respectfully, I disagree that it is likely to have anything to do with it, but by all means ask PaulH who wrote it for confirmation/his opinion.

Re: missing bar - I am not referring to a missing bar at 11:30, I am pointing out where the difference in bar spacing is most visibly obvious.

Kind regards,

Comment

Hello brucerrobinson,

This is Sergey, Level 1 Lead Hand responding on behalf of Tabor.

Tabor mentioned to me that you were working with him as well as myself and have not arrived at a resolution. Per our previous conversation, we were able to load a Chart in regular mode with NO addons and did not see the volume Indicator change color, is this correct?

Custom Zones is not a native addon to NinjaTrader 8, there it was added as a third party code. Does running your chart without the addon, or the repeater addon produce the same result for your VOL Indicator?

Comment

Hello Sergey and thanks.
                          Yes, Tabor stepped in on the Forum thread.

With respect could you kindly read every line I have written this far, as this is bouncing around, going nowhere and getting confused.

I confirm, once again, that, in Safe Mode, I created a new chart with no add-ons, then in Regular Mode with no add-ons, and did not see the VOL indicator change colour.

But, IMHO, that is a pointless exercise and demonstrates, in the context of the issue asked for help on, errr, zero.

Custom Zones - it is yourself that has Capitalised this term, a term introduced by Tabor, to refer to what are Sessions created by the Ninjatrader-developed Repeater add on.

I Repeat (!) I have NO third party add ons. The custom zones you refer to are Sessions created by Repeater, a Ninja add on, not 'Custom Zones' add on you have invented & introduced.

I've given what I believe to be is an insightful direction as to what is happening. But not how.

The VOL indicator has more histogram bars in the areas it appears to be a different colour.

I have provided plenty information if you would care to read it. But unfortunately the deeply ingrained culture is to immediately recite the '3rd party indicators' mantra even to the extent of being blind to the fact that I have persistently told you I DON'T HAVE ANY. Even to the extent of inventing a Custom Zones one and introducing one into the mix.

It would be comical, if it did not waste hour upon hour. I lost my sense of humour with it many hundreds of hours ago.
                          Last edited by brucerobinson; 11-25-2019, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you for your patience in allowing me to get back to you.

My apologies for what seems like a misunderstanding. The Repeater, which was used to draw the time zones on the Chart is a custom addon, so I was under the impression this is what you referred to by "Custom Zones."

I will need to test to see if I can replicate the same on my end. Please provide the exact configuration for your Chart, including the Instrument(s), Interval(s), and Indicators used on the Chart. Please also provide the Trading Hours you have set each data Series/Indicator to so I may configure the Chart in the exact manner as you.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to testing this further.

Comment

Hello Sergey and thanks.

I have sent screenshots of all the information you requested by email.

Additionally, I have included some screenshots of each Data Series in a separate panel with a VOL indicator attached to each which you may or may not find helpful. Note that these are for illustration purpose, it is not the configuration used. My charts have only one VOL indicator attached to the Data Series using the Full Divided template.
                              Kind regards,

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                              Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes