Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Position closed at a -1.000 price. Lost 18000 pips (on DEMO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Position closed at a -1.000 price. Lost 18000 pips (on DEMO)

Hello,

Something extremely odd happened one of my positions. Thank God is happened on my DEMO account. That being said, I need to understand what happened and how I can prevent this in the future.

I opened a demo account on NT8. I took one trade in the form of two positions (BUY) with same Stoploss but different Targets. My positions got filled on November 27th so far everything is fine. On November 28th at 9:59:59, both positions are stopped out at a level ABOVE my entry (I'm in a bullish trade with SL set below), but what's worse is that I'm stopped out at a -1.000 price !!! How is this possible ?? Please check the trade performance attachment. This therefore gives me a profit of -18984 pips (entry price 0.8984 - (exit price -1.000) x mini lot 10000) ! That's $18984 loss in one trade. Now I'm no expert but this looks seriously wrong.

I've attached a picture of my trade performance in pips and in currency, my log, and the chart.

If anyone can help with understanding what happened. This happened on a demo account. I'm horrified at the idea that it could have happened to my real account.

Thank you
    Attached Files

The fill price appears to be a negative number. Since this would be impossible, I suspect either a bad tick of real-time data was received or the simulator is corrupt in some way.

Your demo is named 'MY DEMO IB'. Does this mean you're connected to Interactive Brokers? If not, who are you connected to?

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.?.?)

What is the size of your database file? To check, follow these steps:
    • Navigate to Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > Double left click on the 'db' folder
    • Right-click on 'NinjaTrader.sdf' (may only say 'NinjaTrader' depending on your Windows settings) > Properties
    • Tell me the size

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your response.

My Ninjatrader 8 version is 8.0.18.1 (image attached).

I created a connection called MY DEMO IB and yes i'm connected to my demo account with Interactive Brokers.

As for by database file, its 7.06 MB (image attached).

Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

First, I see that you're using an older version of NinjaTrader 8. To update NinjaTrader, please follow the steps below:
        • First, copy your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
        • Click on the link: http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
        • Enter your license key and press Submit
        • Select 'NinjaTrader 8'
        • Select 'Download'
        • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.
        Again, to reiterate, this fill price would be impossible in a live trading scenario, so I suspect a bad real-time data tick.

As a precaution, please reset your Sim101 account. Resetting a simulation account will clear all historical trade data from this account. Please follow the instructions below to reset a simulation account.
        • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the Accounts tab
        • Right click on your simulation account and select 'Edit Account'
        • Press the "Reset" button

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Ok I will perform the actions you mentioned. In a situation like this, if it were to happen in my REAL account, would I be able to make a claim to IB and have them correct my PnL ? Just curious.

Also, do you think this is something that can come from their data feed ? In which case maybe I should raise this problem with them ?

Thanks

Comment

Again, to reiterate, this fill price would be impossible in a live trading scenario. The market cannot trade at a negative number barring some catastrophic world event in which this negative fill price would likely be the least of your problems.

You could contact Interactive Brokers to check to see if there were any bad ticks at the exact moment your order filled, however, they may not have a record of this as it could have been automatically filtered.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
            Started by KennyK, 05-29-2017, 02:02 AM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post marcus2300