Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 Freezes on Layered Chart

Dear Support,

I use a 1-M chart with a 15-M Box chart of the same instrument overlaid in panel 1 to provide an indication of higher time frame - See attached screenshot.

If I change to a different time frame or a different instrument, the chart will freeze on loading. Then I can only shut down NT using Task Manger.

You can see when I attempted to change from 15-M to 30-M ninja froze on loading. The chart is still 15-M but the label says 30-M and Loading. The same would happen if I change to a different instrument.

I use live Rithmic data which works perfect of a single chart and no problem there. Also, I use NT8.14.2 with no indicators and no system issues.

A check of my Log and Trace files show no indication of any problem. I never had any problem with this template in NT7.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Hello aligator,
    Thanks for your post.

Try renaming your db first by following these steps.
    • Shutdown NinjaTrader and Go to the Start Menu
    • Select My Documents--> NinjaTrader 8--> DB--> NinjaTrader.SDF.
    • Right click on NinjaTrader.SDF and select "Rename." *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.SDF."
    • Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use
    • Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost - Trading Hours templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments, historical trade execution data, saved Strategy Analyzer backtest results

If this does not fix the freezing please write in to PlatformSupport(at)NinjaTrader(dot)com and reference this forum post. Please include your log and trace files with your email by following these steps.
    • Open your NinjaTrader folder under My Documents.
    • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
    • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.
    Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JoshG View Post
      Hello aligator,
      Thanks for your post.

• Right click on NinjaTrader.SDF and select "Rename." *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.SDF."
      • Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use
      • Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost - Trading Hours templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments, historical trade execution data, saved Strategy Analyzer backtest results

If this does not fix the freezing please write in to PlatformSupport(at)NinjaTrader(dot)com and reference this forum post. Please include your log and trace files with your email by following these steps.
      • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
      Thanks Josh,

Is this a reversible process? I do not want to lose my custom lists, templates, etc.
      Is this a unique issue for me or is a common experience by others, also?

Did you try to recreate and check this on your end?

Many thanks.

Comment

I have no way to reproduce this on my end without your db. The behavior you describe (freezing when switching instruments/time frames) is indicative of a corrupted db file.

You have two options here. (1)Rename the db file. If the issue is not resolved you can simply name it back and we will go from there(this means you would not lose templates, lists, etc). If the issues is resolved than my only advice is to create daily/weekly backups going forward in case of situations like this. (2)The other option would be to restore from a backup that you previously created.

Comment

Hello aligator,
          Thanks for your post.

Thanks Josh,

OK, I followed your steps plus I re-installed the last NT8.14.2 version. I have not checked for freezing issues yet.

The installation went OK, however, I am getting these messages that may have some impact and be the cause of freezing. I do not know for sure because I have no idea how to "Retrieve the Loader Exceptions properties for more information."

Perhaps you can help me with these messages first, if they are the reason.

Many thanks.
          Attached Files

Comment

I'd like to take a look at your log and trace files.

Please write in to PlatformSupport(at)NinjaTrader(dot)com and reference this forum post. Please include your log and trace files with your email by following these steps.

Comment

[*]Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost - Trading Hours templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments, historical trade execution data, saved Strategy Analyzer backtest results[/LIST]
              Yes I followed the instruction and have lost my custom instrument list. However, I saved a copy of the entire Documments/NinjaTrader8 folder that includes the NinjaTrader.old.

Is there a way to recover my custom instrument lists? Where is the instrument list folder is located?

Thanks.

P.S. Please check your mail, I sent you an e-mail with attached files per post #6.

Comment

MTF charts not loading

I have also had trouble loading Multiple Time Frame (MTF) charts since upgrading to 14.1

I used 1min and 15min timeframes on the same chart - loading the template (which worked perfectly in v13) causes NT8 to freeze and I also need to close NT via task manager.

If I create a new MTF chart, it seems to be ok. But if I restart NT8, this causes that MTF chart to freeze up, and NT8 becomes unresponsive again.

To NT Support: Have you tested that v14.1 has not negatively impacted on MTF fuinctionality and charts??

I've now created a workspace without MTF charts so I can get on and trade.

Comment

Originally posted by aligator View Post
                  Is there a way to recover my custom instrument lists? Where is the instrument list folder is located?
                  Instrument lists are stored within your database file. You cannot restore only your instruments lists. You could reverse the database rename to restore your instruments lists, but this would also reintroduce any issues associated with that database file.

Comment

Originally posted by synclavier View Post
                    I have also had trouble loading Multiple Time Frame (MTF) charts since upgrading to 14.1

I used 1min and 15min timeframes on the same chart - loading the template (which worked perfectly in v13) causes NT8 to freeze and I also need to close NT via task manager.

If I create a new MTF chart, it seems to be ok. But if I restart NT8, this causes that MTF chart to freeze up, and NT8 becomes unresponsive again.

To NT Support: Have you tested that v14.1 has not negatively impacted on MTF fuinctionality and charts??

I've now created a workspace without MTF charts so I can get on and trade.
                    I am able to create an MTF chart, save an MTF template, and create a new chart with that MTF template without issue in 8.0.14.2.

Since I don't have an MTF template from a prior version to test on the current version, and I am not able to recreate your symptoms, I'll need some files from you to test this behavior.

Please follow the instructions in post #6 to email us. Make sure to include a link to this forum thread and mention '1922105 ATTN Patrick G'

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by tsantospinto, 04-12-2024, 07:04 PM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post tsantospinto  
                    Started by cre8able, Today, 03:20 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post cre8able