Collapse

Question regarding computing core utilization when displaying historical charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding computing core utilization when displaying historical charts

I’m trying to better understand how NinjaTrader utilizes computing cores and came across this post which was quite useful. Quoting from a post (https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...57#post1076757), NinjaTrader_PatrickG stated:

NinjaTrader 8 is multi-threaded and can, in theory, utilize all available cores of your processor. With that said, depending on how you're using NinjaTrader, you may be bottle-necking a thread. One core concept that is important to understand about NinjaTrader's multi-threaded design is that each instrument is assigned to a thread and all windows with that instrument will run on that same thread. This is done so that an instrument cannot become out of sync with itself. Here is a simplified example:

10 charts with 10 separate instruments = 10 threads.
    10 charts with 1 instrument in all charts = 1 thread
    I often use NinjaTrader in offline mode to study and screen stocks. Generally, I connect to a BarChart datafeed and download 4-5 months of day and one minute data of 50 to 100 stocks. I then disconnect from the data feed and using the downloaded data, create 2 charts:
    1 day chart (5 months of data)
    1 30-minute chart (5 months of data)
    Both charts display the same instrument.

When not processing realtime data, does NinjaTrader still use the one thread / one instrument setup as described in the post by NinjaTrader_PatrickG?
    Last edited by h1000; 11-30-2019, 05:25 PM.

Hello h1000,

When running on charts, NinjaTrader will still request data for each instrument and then the data will be provided to the instrument consumer threads.

Things work a little differently when optimizing, but still work the same when loading historical data on charts.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ChelseaB, thanks for the clarification!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
      0 responses
      1 view
      0 likes
      Last Post GLFX005