Options Contracts - Trading through IB TWS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options Contracts - Trading through IB TWS

I have TWS API connected to NT8 and have no problem with the Futures orders going through from NT8 to TWS. I wish to transmit options contracts from Ninjatrader 8. I get why options trading is not available for IB since trading options of futures may require the option chain and the respective strikes and selection of the strike price and expiry based on user preferences. I have seen features pertaining to option chain analysis in nt8 over the past couple of releases. My preferred market (NSE - India), we do not have as many options in terms of data providers as well as brokers who natively support NT8, with interactive brokers being the only broker that has operations in India.

In my specific case, I track a specific strike and expiry and just want the trade to go through from the charting interface to IB TWS. Below is an example of an

Attachment 1: TWS Description.png showing Symbol description from TWS: NIFTY19D0512050PE
    Attachment 2: Option chart NT8.png showing chart of NIFTY19D0512050PE in NT8 along with chart trader turned on
    Attachment 3: showing the instrument information of NIFTY19D0512050

As apparent from the above images, the symbols mapping of NT8 and TWS is the same. However, the order from chart trader is not going through to IB. The possible reason for this could be that the instrument is categorized under 'stock' in the instrument type menu. Going from the IB TWS symbol description, this needs to be under OPT instrument type I presume. Is there any way to import a master instrument under the instrument type OPT? I have created an instrument list by the name of OPT, but by default the imported symbol is going under Instrument type: stock.

It would be very cost effective in trading options rather than futures and the ibuiltd risk managementATM strategies along with the orderflow plus modules were the main allure for me in availing the lifetime license. If you say that Option trading from chart is not possible, it would be limiting the effectiveness of chart trading all together.

Hoping for a possible remedy if any.

Thanks and regards,
    Phani Krishna P

phanikrishna77,

Thanks for posting.

As you mentioned, at this time it is not supported to trade options through Interactive Brokers. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to provide any useful workarounds to force order submission to work as expected, or speculate on any changes to your current setup.

However, I'm happy to record your feedback on this item regardless and track this post in case any changes are made.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Drew,

No less than 2 days after requesting, I have seen IB being supported through options contracts in the latest release 8.0.20, and I couldn't be happier. Now does it mean I would need Options data from IB or since I have a different realtime data provider (truedata), could I map the symbol at the instrument level and pass it to TWS?

Comment

phanikrishna77,

Thanks for your reply post.

The options data would need to come from one of the supported beta Options providers: Kinetick, IQ Feed, or Interactive Brokers.

Comment

I am using NT 8.0.20, IB TWS 978.1g ... and I cannot get any options data for stocks or futures...
          Have a multi-licence setup... I get charts for stocks etc that can only be supplied by my IB connection, so I know that part is working...

Wassup?

Comment

I am having the same issue described by tgn55
            I cannot find out how to get the options chains form IB data feed
            I was also wondering whether NT is or is going to be able to plot p&l charts of options and their combinations with and without their underlying.
            thx.

Comment

Same. Zero options data for me. Works in TWS fine. Get other data and execute via TWS or gateway, fine. All options settings in tools options set to IB. Not a trace of otpion data. Quotes update live at top of options window though.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you all for posting.

First off, I see an unsupported version of TWS is in use. Newer versions may work with NinjaTrader, but the only tested/supported version of TWS would be 973.2. So that we may investigate I would ask that you contact us by email at PlatformSupport [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com. In your message please include a link to this forum thread and a copy of today's trace files. You will find these diagnostic files in the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > Trace folder. We will need to review a copy of the files which are named 'trace.20191218.XXXXX.txt'. There will likely be multiple files for each day. Please also mention "ATTN: Drew 2350473" in the message.

Comment

To confirm, I use build 973 only. Both gateway and tws. problem still exists.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	NVIDIA_Share_O3dh3O6LDc.png
Views:	849
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1081396

Comment

pjsmith,

Thanks for confirming your version number. It's good information to know it occurs on either version of TWS/Gateway. Please still write in using the previously mentioned instructions so I can review your log and trace files further.

Comment

Hi Drew,

Has there been any resolution to the issue raised by pjsmith? I see no options data in Ninjatrader but everything works fine in TWS

Comment

phanikrishna77,

Thanks for your reply post.

We have not found a cause of this behavior as of yet with other users who have written in, but if you're seeing the same I recommend writing in using the instructions in our previous post. I'll be happy to review your diagnostic files and check into your case as well.

Comment

Drew did you receive any trace files from the other users on this thread? If not, I'll try to generate something later today/tonight... after the market opens

Comment

tgn5,

I would recommend writing in with your own personal diagnostic files, as your specific circumstances may be slightly different than other users. I'm always happy to investigate each case individually for the best information.

Comment

On starting my IB connection, I get a message logged:
                              Received unknown error/warning: Sec-def data farm connection is OK:secdefhk

I get stock price data updating... but no options data, as noted by several other users.

Also...as I have not yet placed any trades via Ninja on my IB account... I get Ninja telling me I have a zero balance. Wondering if this might be having other consequences? I've been advised that the balance will get updated after my first trade... fine (well, not really, as I don't want to buy any stock or futures... just place option trades !!)

So I'm still going nowhere with this...

Cheers,
                              T.
                              Last edited by tgn55; 01-21-2020, 08:57 AM. Reason: Adding detail...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by f.saeidi, Today, 08:01 PM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post f.saeidi  
                              Started by Rapine Heihei, Today, 07:51 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes