Time alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time alert

I am trying to set a time alert in NT8 and I can't seem to do it. What I want is a time alert that triggers at the same time each day.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.X.0)

Here is a link to the help guide page on creating a time comparison:

I would recommend first following the example from the help guide page. Once you confirm that that is working as expected, you could customize it further to meet your exact needs.

Comment

I am using 8.0.14.2. I tried to use the example that you linked to and couldn't get it to work. I also started a help ticket and after 22 back and forth emails and still not a viable solution, I am beginning that a simple daily time alert can't be set up in NinjaTrader.

Comment

The help guide alert example is functioning on my end. I need to learn more about your NinjaTrader to find out why the help guide example alert is not functioning on your end.

Is the alert working the first day but does not trigger the next day? Or does the alert not work at all?

Could you provide screenshots of your general, condition, and action settings?

The conversation you had with us has an associated ticket number. This is usually 7 digits and starts with '19...' at the writing of this post. Could you provide the ticket number so I can review the conversation you had with us?

Comment

I set up a time alert for 8:30 am Pacific and it didn't trigger, I have attached screen shots. One of the things that I have noticed is that when you hover the mouse over the alert times in the Conditions box on the Alerts page, the times have a seconds component. On the left time it says 8:30:29 am and on the right 8:30:17 am, so they never can be equal. Unfortunately, NT8 only give you the ability to set the hour and minutes but the program picks up the seconds from the computer clock.
          Attached Files

Comment

I forgot, the ticket number on my conversation with support is 1917371.

Comment

Things I notice immediately from your screenshots which are incorrect (compared to the help guide):
              • You're using the operator 'Equals'. This operator will not function for time comparisons. You must use 'Greater equal'.
              • You've chosen a time value for your left condition. This is not a valid condition. You need to select the data series from the 'Time' section and then compare than to the specific time on the right

Here is an example of what it should look like:

1. Select the Time category and select the Data Series series
              2. Select the "greater equal" relational operator
              3. Expand the Time value category
              4. Set the Time value parameter to a user defined value of "10:00 AM"

Make sure to select a time at least two minutes away from the current time so that you have time to click apply/OK. I recommend opening an Alerts Log window so you can immediately see when an alert triggers.

Additionally, your rearm type is 'on bar close', If you want the alert to rearm every 24 hours, then we'll need to use Rearm type=On Timer' with 'Rearm seconds=86400'.

I have not confirmed the ability to trigger this alert once every 24 hours, however, I am currently testing with 'Rearm seconds = 86400'. This will rearm the alert after 24 hours (in seconds) and should fire again at the same time tomorrow. I'll update this post with the results.

Regarding the second stamps - this is irrelevant to this particular issue as it does not affect the ability of a properly configured alert to trigger. However, I agree that the seconds field populates automatically and cannot be changed (without selecting a new time). We're currently analyzing this internally. The internal tracking number for that is TS-1730.

Comment

A screen shot from your help page.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. The example you provided a screenshot of is incorrect and has been corrected in the help guide. Both locations where you can find a time-based alert example should now match. The first link below is the one I have been referencing throughout this thread. The second link below was the one you were referencing (which has been corrected):

Comment

Thank you for your help. On my machine the seconds do matter. I set an alarm and the seconds were :42 and the alarm went off at the 42 second mark not on the minute.

Comment

Now that your time alert is working, we can discuss the 'seconds' issue.

The internal tracking number I mentioned in post #7 now has a public tracking number - 12945. Look for this tracking number in the release notes of future version of NinjaTrader to know that the issue was addressed:

For now, the work-around is configuring your alert time as closely as possible to the :00 second of a minute on your PC clock. The way I was able to accomplish this was by having my PC clock open and then selecting the time in the alert right when the time rolls over from :59 to :00.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Perr0Grande  
                      Started by elderan, Today, 08:03 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post elderan