Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaTrader-v8.0.19.0

Hello,

I'm considering upgrading to NinjaTrader version 8.0.19.0; I currently have the previous version installed.

My question is, is version 8.0.19.0 stable, or have there been several issues reported that have not yet been fully resolved?

I have some custom made indicators running on my workspaces in NT8 now; I know you folks have made some major changes recently. Is it likely or possible that my indicators which are currently working without any issues now, would stop working or have serious issues if I upgrade to version 8.0.19.0?

Please let me know.

i2w8am9ii2

We have now moved onto 8.0.20.0, so I would not recommend that you install a version that isn't the current version.

If there are ever any issues after updating to the latest version, please contact us immediately for analysis.

Custom indicators can always be affected by a change as we cannot predict or know every single way someone has programmed an indicator. If the indicator comes from an Ecosystem developer, they would have had access to an early build of the newest version and should have updated their add-ons. Check with your add-on providers if you're concerned about compatibility.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 12-17-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been using and am still using a NT8 version that is two versions prior to the current one and it is stable, does not freeze on me and does the job.

I trade using my live account every day now and have been doing so for some time. My daily profits are often $500 to $1000.

I do not want to upgrade to a new version without knowing that I will not be unable to use NT8 until I go through many days of going back and forth with Ninjatrader support until I get an issue figured out and resolved. That could literally cost me a lot of money, frustration and stress.

Would I be better off continuing to use the version I am using now, or would I be better off upgrading to the previous version?

I have seen people on the forum posting about issues they are having with the latest version of NT8 so I would like to wait until any current issues are resolved before upgrading to the most recent version.

Is the previous version not stable, or can I safely upgrade to it?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

There is no way for me to accurately answer your question because your NinjaTrader configuration is unique to you. In general, there are no issues with the latest version of NinjaTrader.

Can a custom indicator cause undesirable symptoms in a newer version of NinjaTrader compared to an older version? Absolutely. We would have no way to prevent that from our end as we did not create the indicator. If this is your main concern, check with your add-on providers to confirm if their add-ons are compatible with the latest release of NinjaTrader.

Here is a link with more information regarding the impact of using custom add-ons:

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thanks again for your reply.

If I upgrade to the latest version of NT8 and say everything goes haywire for me after that... if I had created a Windows 10 restore point before upgrading and then restore my PC to the previous configuration, would that take me back to the working version of NT8 that I was using prior to installing the new version?

If not, would saving a backup in NT8 and then loading the backup file from within NT8 after upgrading, take me back to the previous working version of NT8?

If not, is there another option to take my computer back to the previous working version of NT8, if upgrading creates a nightmare for me?

Please let me know at your convenience.

Thanks,

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

I believe you're approaching this from the wrong angle. If you update your NinjaTrader and experience unexpected symptoms, finding a way to downgrade immediately does not resolve the underlying issue on your end. It is not a sustainable 'fix' to remain on an older version of NinjaTrader indefinitely. Eventually, we will not be able to provide support in general before updating your platform because we do not know whether or not your symptom is a direct result of your use of an older version.

The entire purpose of the Platform Support Team is to assist you when you have questions and also issues. You can set yourself up for success prior to an update by confirming with all of your add-on providers that their add-ons are compatible with the latest version of NinjaTrader.

With that said, here are direct answers to your questions:
            • I assume a Windows restore point would work, but we have no internal documentation or testing using Windows restore
            • A NinjaTrader backup file would not 'downgrade' your NinjaTrader version
            • You can downgrade manually. We do not provide downgrade steps publicly as it is a last resort with zero value added from a diagnostic point of view. If it comes to this, contact us via email so we may assist you with analysis and downgrade (if needed).

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Okay, got it. Thanks for the info.

I will plan on upgrading to the latest version early next week and let you folks know if I need assistance afterwards.

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

Originally posted by i2w8am9ii2 View Post
                Hi Patrick,

Okay, got it. Thanks for the info.

I will plan on upgrading to the latest version early next week and let you folks know if I need assistance afterwards.

i2w8am9ii2
                I use a program to make disc images.
                Make a disc image just before upgrading.
                Upgrade and see what happens.
                If there is a problem, put back your disc image and you have exactly the same situation as before the upgrade.
                Takes just a few minutes (depending on how big the disc image is).

Another option is to install it on another PC and test it there. If things are OK, upgrade your trading computer. If it is not OK , just delete it on the second PC.

Comment

Hi marcus2300,

Thanks for the info.

I use Macrium Reflect for creating image backups, but I have not yet had to do a restore yet to see if it actually works and how well.

I do also have a laptop, that I used to be able to also install NT8 on, but it is not working now. I am planning to take it to the Microsoft Store to have them look at it.

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

Originally posted by i2w8am9ii2 View Post
                    Hi marcus2300,

Thanks for the info.

I use Macrium Reflect for creating image backups, but I have not yet had to do a restore yet to see if it actually works and how well.

I do also have a laptop, that I used to be able to also install NT8 on, but it is not working now. I am planning to take it to the Microsoft Store to have them look at it.

i2w8am9ii2
                    I use Acronis, but Macrium will do the job too. The first time you do a restore it is scary as it is unknown and you are afraid it will go wrong. If you are afraid it will not work, do first a test on your old PC to see if it works.
                    I did already a few restores and never had any problem.
                    I have a PC that is only used for trading, so nothing else (no surfing, no email...). My second older PC I use for surfing, email and also for testing software upgrades before installing it on my trading PC. I make new disc images every week and keep them on an external disc.

Comment

Hi marcus2300,

Okay, thanks for the info.

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                      0 responses
                      1 view
                      0 likes