Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'

I am having an issue where Indicators are not saving to charts. Even just adding a basic Volume Indicator and then exiting the platform does not work. When I start back up, the chart opens but the indicator is gone. I am getting these errors in Control Center:
    12/18/2019 11:22:18 AM NinjaScript Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which implements this Indicator no longer is there.
    12/18/2019 11:26:04 AM Default Could not save indicator 'VOL:' There was an error reflecting type 'NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Indicators.VOL'.
    Last edited by swcooke; 12-18-2019, 10:31 AM.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.?.?)

Does this symptom persist if you reinstall the platform? Following these steps will not remove your custom files or settings:
    • Copy your license key from the Control Center > Help > License Key.
    • Close all running applications.
    • Uninstall NinjaTrader within Windows Control Panel.
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Once these steps are completed, download and install NT8 from the link below.
    Please let me know the results of this test.

Comment

I followed your steps and on startup, I was able to add a basic volume indicator to the chart and exit and when I returned, it was still on the chart so that is good. However, if I right click the VOL script and choose Save As and give it a new name so that it's now my custom Indicator, it won't save. I literally haven't changed anything in the VOL Indicator other than the name and then I compile and add it to a chart. Exit and restart and it's gone and I have this error again:

Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which implements this Indicator no longer is there.

This is bizarre. Now I am also getting this message. Is there meta data file I need to update?
      <None> Metadata file 'C:\Users\scooke\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\Newtonsoft.Json.dll' could not be found CS0006 0 0

Comment

The compile error you are seeing in the NinjaScript Editor indicates the .DLL files do not exist in your installation. Please follow the steps below to rectify the errors.
        1. From the Control Center please select New--> NinjaScript Editor
        2. In the NinjaScript Editor please right click and select References.
        3. In the Reference window look for the .DLL file reference in the compile error by name (in the error the file name has a .cs at the end)
        4. If you see the .DLL file reference please left click on the reference and select Remove
        5. If you removed the reference in the previous step or you do not see the .DLL file reference then please select Add
        6. The Add option will open a File Explorer, from the path that was opened please locate the .DLL file
        7. If you find the .DLL please left click to select it and then select Open--> then select OK in the References window--> then right click in the NinjaScript Editor--> select Compile
        8. If you do not find the .DLL in the File Explorer please close the File Explorer and References windows--> then navigate to Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom on your PC--> and delete the .cs file referenced in the compile error--> then right click in the NinjaScript Editor--> Compile
        If you would like assistance with the steps provided please let us know and we can setup a remote assistance session with one of our techs.

Comment

I was able to remove the reference and get rid of the NewtonSoft.dll error. However, the main issue still exists.I have no loyalty to this database. Is there a way to just trash it and start anew?

Comment

The original issue was indicator's not being saved to a workspace after a restart of the platform. In your previous post, you stated:

I was able to add a basic volume indicator to the chart and exit and when I returned
            Is the symptom gone but we still see a log message (with no associated symptom)? Or is the originally reported symptom occurring again? Or did I misunderstand your post?

Comment

Can you just tell me if there is a way to start with a fresh database?

Comment

Here are the steps:
                • Shutdown NinjaTrader and Go to the Start Menu
                • Select My Documents--> NinjaTrader 8--> db--> "NinjaTrader.sdf" file (may only say 'NinjaTrader' depending on your Windows File Explorer settings)
                • Right click on NinjaTrader.sdf and select "Rename" *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.sdf"
                • Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use
                • Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost - Trading Hours templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments, historical trade execution data, saved Strategy Analyzer backtest results

Comment

I have followed those steps and nothing has changed. Any other ideas? I am not running a brand new database and to recap, here is the way I can reproduce the issue:

1. There are no Indicator files in my system other than the ones NT put there
                  2. If I open the built in VOL Indicator and save it as something else like MyVol and add it to a chart, it won't save after a restart
                  3. This is the same as with any new custom indicator I make. Built in Indicators save just fine.
                  4. I continue to get this error at startup:

12/18/2019 11:22:18 AM NinjaScript Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which implements this Indicator no longer is there.

I get this error when it fails to save when I exit:
                  12/18/2019 7:42:57 PM Default Could not save indicator 'MyVol:' There was an error reflecting type 'NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Indicators.MyVol'.
                  Last edited by swcooke; 12-18-2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I did not expect the database rename to fix anything, but provided you the steps since you were adamant to try that. Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.
                    • You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support
                    • Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.
                    • Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 2367018 ATTN PatrickG

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                    24 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post spwizard  
                    Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Max238