Upgrading to Windows 10 -implications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading to Windows 10 -implications

As you doubtless know, support for Windows 7 ends soon as as such I am 'upgrading' to Windows 10.

I plan to do a completely fresh install of 10, and reinstall NT8, and import my custom indicators.

Will this change my machine ID?

Are there any other potential implications?

Many thanks.

Hello Sparkyboy,

Thank you for the post.

Upgrading will very likely change your machine ID.

Prior to upgrading I would suggest to collect a list of the items you use which you have registered. This is just in case you have to notify any vendors you will have a quick reference to know which you may need to email. The platform should additionally pop up a warning if the ID changes so that you can send an email.

For security purposes all account connections will need to have the username and password re-entered and the License key will also need to be re-entered. Please make sure to copy your license key for quick access and also collect your user id's and passwords for any broker/data connections. If you do not know your passwords, please complete the upgrade/install in windows 10 first and then reach out to your broker to reset the password.

If you are upgrading the same PC and doing a clean install that will wipe your existing data so please be certain that you have backed up all of your data prior to doing that. https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...p__restore.htm

The Backup/restore tool will work for most items however there are some situations which this cannot account for. Some very complex third party items cannot be restored in this way, if you use a lot of third party items keep in mind you may need to just re download the zip/installer for some of the third party items if they are unable to restore or are missing files after the restore.

Moving from 7 to 10 you will very likely have different paths for the user data so it is possible you may see NinjaScript compile errors if you restore from a backup. In that situation we can assist getting that corrected if you write into our support email platform support [at] ninjatrader.com.

If you are doing a completely fresh install I generally suggest to avoid doing a restore of NinjaScript unless there is a lot of data you want to keep and don't want to look through what you have at this time. In most situations it would be best to re import the items you use individually so you can check that they are all at the current version. This removes any items you were not using and gives you a chance to kind of clean up the install.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Mongo, Today, 11:05 AM
    0 responses
    1 view
    0 likes
    Last Post Mongo
    by Mongo

Started by Tim-c, Today, 10:58 AM