Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

'Market Analyser - 'Alerts will be removed'' message - in error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Market Analyser - 'Alerts will be removed'' message - in error?

Hello,
    I receive the error message attached when I Close the Workspace.
    - I am pretty sure this is not what I read in Help, but of course I now can't find that. My understanding/recollection - Alerts setup in Market Analyser can be saved.
    - despite what the message says, if I respond to the Question - do I want to continue to go ahead and Close the market analyser and lose my Alerts? with 'no' (I want to close MA without losing my alerts but that's not an option), it goes ahead and closes the Market Analyser regardless.
    - when I re-open Market Analyser, the Alerts have not been removed, they are still there
    - it is repeatable
    I haven't tried the option of 'yes', for fear it might do what it says.

Please could someone explain what is going on? The message is akin to one generated similarly with Chart Alerts, but to repeat above, I'm sure I read something about being able to save in Market Analyser. If it actually did what it says it is going to do in Market Analyser it wouold be worse than Charts Alerts, but thankfully it doesn't appear to.

Kind regards,

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you for your post.

When you close the workspace, are you closing individual windows, or are you closing it from the Workspaces menu?

Generally you would see this message when closing a Market Analyzer using the red X in the upper right hand corner.

What version of NInjaTrader are you running? You can find this under Help > About.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.
    Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Kate & thanks.
      v20.1
      Workspaces / (highlight desired open workspace) click Close
      Do you want to save changes? Yes
      All windows disappear (e.g. I have a chart and an Alerts log window in the same workspace as the market analyser window but when the warning pops up disappear) except Control Center & Warning message window
      Click No to message.
      Market Analyser is closed in Workspaces (I also have another workspace open, so that becomes the active workspace).
      Re-open Market Analyser workspace, all restores as expected, Market Analyser window populates with data,

Right-click in Mkt Analyser window, Alerts, alerts all present & correct?

I am feeling very uncomfortable.

Kind regards,

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you for your reply.

Great, I was able to reproduce this on my end following the steps you've provided. Looks like it saves everything fine, so when you reopen it the alerts are still saved. It looks like the message is being triggered when the close function closes the existing window - I'm going to forward this to our developers to take a look at and I'll let you know what they say. In the meantime, you're okay to just hit No there - your Market Analyzer will be fine.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this for you.

Comment

Ok Kate, thanks for your assistance.
          I know what Development will say, what they invariably say... It is 'expected behaviour'.

If I had clicked Yes, rather than No, I expect I would have lost the Alerts. 32 Alerts with an average 10 Conditions each to re-create.

It is beyond my belief how they are continuously able to put this stuff out. I aborted trying to use Alerts on charts more than a year ago due to similar experiences. Having seen a multitude of 'Fixed' Release Notes regarding Alerts I thought I'd give it another go..... Unbelievable.

Happy New Year.

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

I don't think this one is expected, so they'll likely be putting a fix into place.

Actually, no. The alerts will remain regardless of whether you click Yes or No there - I've tested. This is because the workspace has already been saved by the time the platform closes the window, which is what's triggering that message you're getting. So when you reopen it's still able to access your saved Market Analyzer settings to create what you previously had.

I'll follow up with you once I have more information from the developers.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hello Kate & thanks for the further info/testing.

Venturing back into Alerts was with great trepidation due to the emotional scarring I am left with from last time, hence 'this sort of stuff' (how on God's earth can this get through QA... Anyone who uses Alerts on Mkt Analyser likely wants to save them on exit, so how can it not have been picked up before (that was my purpose in leaving it alone for a year)?

Anyhow I'm not ranting nor directed at you in the slightest.

Whilst we have a dialogue open, could I ask another question (it's an explanation, not in need of a separate thread) -
              My Use Case is similar to the 'Intraday High Alert' example in Help given for a Chart alert.
              So I have Last Price crosses above Indicator / Current OHL / High /Offset -x ticks (basically triggering when price returns toward a range high - I don't think it is too important totbore you with more detail, everything is functioning correctly).
              My question is about Data Series, 'live' price etc. & wrt pc performance, loading etc.

For these alerts I'm only interested in the current day's price action wrt today and yesterday's price action (Prior & Current HL).
              I'm not interested in bar Close, only current price c/w Current OHL indicator High or Low (depending on direction etc).
              When adding the Indicator columns to Mkt Analyser I have the ability to select the Type and Value of the Data Series. My setup is defaulting to Minute, 1. I presume this is relevant if your trading is related to these metrics, 'if bar Close is lower than look back 37 bars and the moon is green and Wednesday, enter at market' type of thing (beats me) but mine isn't, it's live price (OnPriceChange) c/w historical fixed fact.
              So, does it matter what I select? And would it be preferable to choose higher e.g. hour, day, for fewer data points, loading, processing, RAM?

I don't pretend to know what goes on under the hood, but can't find Help on these Fields & seemed pertinent. I'm sure if I chose 20 days of 1 Second for 32 Alerts I'd likely break it, so wondering if there's a reason to go the other way as I'm not 'using' bar Close, 1 minute or any other. Current price either crosses above Prior Day High, or it doesn't. I don't care where the bar closed (for this purpose).

Thanks

Comment

Having slept on it, another implication I guess would be re-arm which I have set to 'on bar close'. But this could be replaced by on timer to the same value as bar time. Question is to tinker or not to tinker - any advantage to be gained?

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

In your situation, it doesn't really matter what you pick for the type and value. The current and prior day HL is going to be the same. Where that would matter more is if you're setting up a column for, say, a 14 period SMA. Then, it would use the Type and Value to calculate that value. As long as you pick an intraday time frame, you should be fine.

Rearm is a bit different - I'd recommend trying "On Condition Reversed", which means that it resets as soon as the alert isn't true anymore if you want it to go off every time the conditions are true. I would say play around with the rearm settings a bit - you may find that On Condition Reversed sets the alert off too often, and that On Bar Close works better for you.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.

Comment

Hello Kate and thanks.

That's helpful. Still a clarification though, please.....

I understand each answer (& hadn't thought of using OnCondRev, thanks will give it a go).

However if I do find, as you suggest, too frequent, and use OnBarClose, I'm presuming, but not sure & can't find Help - is the 'Bar' determined by the Type/Value you answered in the first point? I.e. if I were to choose 1 hour, then an alert triggered at the start of a bar wouldn't re-arm for an hour? So in that case of adjusting OnBarClose re-arm condition, Close is determined by Type/Value setting in Data Series?

​​​​​​Or am I missing something/mis-understanding?

Kind regards,
                    ​​​​​

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

You're absolutely correct there about the bar being determined by the Type/Value settings.

Here's what's noted in the help guide regarding On Bar Close in the Market Analyzer:

"Rearm on the next bar close for the data series used in the alert condition. Only columns which have a data series are eligible for OnBarClose alerts."

You can find the relevant section of the help guide here:

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.

Comment

Hello Kate and thanks.
                        As I've said, I've read all the Help. Unfortunately I frequently find it unintelligible and/or ambiguous and necessary to seek clarification.
                        So, I can try OnReverseCondition, and if that is unsatisfactory I use (for my particular situation) an Intraday time series specified in Data Series Type Value, and it is by specifying Type Value there that in turn determines the Alert OnBarClose period.

That's what I deduced. Not exactly easy to do so though, is it.

I look forward to the erroneous pop-up Warning being Fixed in due course. Never ending.

Thank you for your assistance.
                        Kind regards,

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by samish18, Yesterday, 08:31 AM
                        4 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post elirion
                        by elirion

Started by funk10101, Yesterday, 09:43 PM