Determining Initial Risk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determining Initial Risk

I use a pro forma stop for each contract of $100.
    When placing a new trade, I adjust that stop before entry to whatever I believe is appropriate for that particular trade.
    I would like to determine my actual risk for each trade based on the stop and entry fills. I know how to do this in Excel, but creating the lookup tables for the different instrument tick values and the appropriate formulas would be time consuming.
    Is there anything ready-made that I could use?

Hi sgordet, thanks for your post.

For a charting tool, there is the advanced risk-reward indicator here:
    https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/use...ard-indicator/

If you could describe more what you would like in the platform I can submit a feature request.

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Chris.
      You've given me an idea of how to explain it better.
      When your entry is filled:
      Using the advanced risk-reward indicator, you can see exactly how much your initial risk is; you can also see it in the SuperDOM as the indicated stop loss.
      I currently have to write down my trade number and the amount of the stop loss at entry. . This is often different from the stop loss set by the ATM as I generally make it trade-specific; however, it's obviously a set, capturable number when the initial trade order is placed. At the end of the day, I download the Trade Performance, trades analysis report into Excel and manually place those initial risk figures into an Excel column from my notes.
      Initial risk is an important data point for many traders. It would be great if it were included in the Performance Report, i.e., the risk at the time the entry order is filled.
      Other than NT adding it to to Performance Report or my creating an Excel program for it from converting the initial distances from entry to stop loss into dollar amounts, I don't know how to do it other than manually.
      It would be great if there were an existing column for this in the Performance Report. If you have any other suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Please let me know if I still haven't explained this clearly.

Thanks,
      Stephen

Comment

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your message.

We have a feature request tracking interest behind showing initial risk in the Trade Performance window.

The tracking ID is SFT-2929 and I have added a vote on your behalf.

Feature requests are implemented based on client feedback, feasibility, discretion from Product Management, and the ongoing tasks of the Development team. As such, we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. However, your interest is tracked and your feedback is documented.

Please let us kn9ow if there is anything else we can do to help.
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by samish18, Yesterday, 08:57 AM
        8 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post samish18  
        Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes