Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator on indicator chart in NT8 as in NT7

Hi guys,
    what is the easiest way to make indicator on indicator work in a chart in NT8, the same way it worked in NT7? It obviously works on prices as opposed to on another indicator values...
    Thank you.

Hi Frantz thanks for your note.

Specifying a series for an indicator in NT8 works the same as NT7. For example, to add a moving average of a volume indicator, add the VOL indicator to your chart first, then add an SMA, for the Input Series on an SMA select the VOL indicator that you added.

If I can assist any further please let me know.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for the answer. But NT8 does not work in the same way as NT7. VOL and SMA must be among the very few that do work. But if you try something else, like Stochastic on Stochastic, Momentum on Momentum, not even talking about something like Woodies or Ergodic,then they do not work on another indicator's values, like they did in NT7, it was painless, pure and simple. But NT8 is not like that. There might be a solution to make it work in the chart, but I still don't know what it would be. Too bad you forced everyone from NT7 to NT8...

Comment

Hi Frantz, thanks for your reply.

You are correct, several indicators are used in NT7 as input for other indicators and this functionality was not carried over into NT8. I attached the StochasticInput modification that will let you do this. As for the Momentum indicator, a similar conversion will need to take place. I will ask my supervisor if we can make a conversion for this.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Attached Files

Comment

Thank you. Would you be able to also amend Woodies and Ergdic? Would appreciate very much. Thank you.

Comment

Hello Frantz,

Thanks for your message.

Woodies is closed source while Ergdic is not an indicator we have developed. I have submitted a vote to our feature request behind supporting custom input series for all system indicators and have noted your interest with Woodies. the ticket ID is SFT-1606.

Feature requests are implemented based on client feedback, feasibility, discretion from Product Management, and the ongoing tasks of the Development team. As such, we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. However, your interest is tracked and your feedback is documented. Feature Requests are held internally are not available in a public resource. New features that are implemented will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide and you can reference the description to see if your requested feature has been implemented.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

As for Ergdic, please reach out to the developer of that indicator to request having this functionality added. They may reference the differences between the indicator Chris has attached and the original stochastics indicator to see what changes would need to be made for further direction.

Code:
            min            = Input is PriceSeries ? MIN(Low, PeriodK) : MIN(Input, PeriodK);
            max            = Input is PriceSeries ? MAX(High, PeriodK) : MAX(Input, PeriodK) ;
            Input - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...nt8/?input.htm

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
            JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This is custom indicator 101, a stochastic on ANY user defined object or indicator (can NT8 handle user defined arrays? LOL). I was evaluating buying the platform a few months ago....just checking to see if this was solved, guess not.

Comment

Hello globallarry,

The Stochastics and a few other indicators will use the close series even when an indicator is supplied as the input series.

It is necessary to use a modified version of these, such as the StochasticsInput to prevent this.

There is a feature request tracking demand for supporting indicator input series with these indicators tracked with ID# SFT-1606. I will add your vote to this request.
                Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Is this fixed yet? I need to plot a configurable stochastic of a customer indicator.

Comment

Hi glarry, thanks for your post.

I made this version of the Stochastics that can take an input series. Please see attached.

Kind regards.
                    Attached Files

Comment

So does it mean if I need to run a custom indicator on another custom indicator it's not doable?

Comment

Hello kalalex, thanks for writing in.

If the custom indicator you are using is compiled into a dll, and it does not use the Input[] array to calculate it would not be able to use an input series. If it is open source, it can be changed to calculate from the Input[] series rather than a price series.

Please let me know if I can assist any further.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Aviram Y  
                        Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
                        3 responses
                        0 likes