Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Big Problem with lack of Title Bar info NT8 chart windows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Problem with lack of Title Bar info NT8 chart windows.

Back again - continuing my migration from NT7, just found a HUGE showstopper for me, having to do with Title Bar info for each chart window.

* I use Autohotkey, a Windows macro language, to move around and manipulate my NT7 chart windows. Works great, as each chart has a title such as:

BA (1 Min) 1/10/2020

This is for a 1m Boeing chart...

I can examine the title, look for 'BA (1 Min)' and know exactly which chart I'm dealing with. That way, I can minimize, maximize, move around charts very easily.

NT8 has replaced this format with the icons, etc., on the TItle Bar, which is ok, but unfortunately, there is apparently NO Title Bar info indicating BOTH symbol and interval(very bad for me). When I query the Title Bar name for an NT8 BA 1m chart, I get the following:

Chart - BA

That won't work, as I have a variety of different timeframe BA charts, such as 1min, 30sec, etc. I need someway to tell what interval this chart is using.

Now, I notice in the NT8 chart Title Bar itself, from left to right it shows 'Chart BA 1 Minute', which would be fine for me. BUT, for some reason, the interval(1 Minute here), is not included in the actual Title Bar info. I have to have some way to check the interval, otherwise, I'm stranded and stuck.

So, do you have anything to help me out here??

Yeah, I could ask for an enhancement for a future release, but that'll take a long time, if ever, to be implemented. I need something NOW, otherwise I'm screwed.

P.S., I tried changing the label in the Data Series config panel from the default of 'BA' to 'BA1m' and when I applied the change, it had no effect on either what I could see on the Title Bar nor what I could query in the way of a Title Bar name. Under NT7, this change would've shown up in the Title Bar itself and also be retrievable via Autohotkey. So, what gives with this? Why isn't the new label showing and if it is supposedly showing, where the hell is it? This should've been checked out as part of the migration development and apparently it wasn't.

Btw, there -is- some empty space to the right of the icons where some title data could be displayed, depending upon the size of the chart.
    Last edited by AMATX; 01-11-2020, 11:08 AM.

have you tried usingAdd-On to program the titlebar?

Comment

Never heard of Add-On. I see there's some stuff in the help file, but no detail on anything regarding Title Bars. Anyone out there point me to some info on programmatically changing the title in the Title Bar, using Ninjascript? I suppose if I have no other alternatives, I could code up a short study that'll id the chart symbol & interval and update the Title Bar. I'd then add that study to every single chart. I have done a little bit of Ninja coding in NT7, but never came across any routines that would affect the Title Bar(wasn't looking, either, as I didn't need it for NT7).

Btw, using Autohotkey, I can change the title in the Title Bar, but not only does the new title not show on the bar, this won't work for me, as I either need some sort of fix/workaround to make this work like NT7, or I need a way to do it from inside the chart, as in using a study, like mentioned above. It would be way too complicated to try doing any of this manually. If I have to, I can bypass actually seeing the new name in the Title Bar, as long as it's really there and Windows/Autohotkey know about it and can assess it. NT8 shows some stuff at the very top of the chart that ids the symbol/interval, but that info is not available to Windows/Autohotkey, it's just text at the top of the chart.
      Last edited by AMATX; 01-11-2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AMATX View Post
        Never heard of Add-On. I see there's some stuff in the help file, but no detail on anything regarding Title Bars. Anyone out there point me to some info on programmatically changing the title in the Title Bar, using Ninjascript? I suppose if I have no other alternatives, I could code up a short study that'll id the chart symbol & interval and update the Title Bar. I'd then add that study to every single chart. I have done a little bit of Ninja coding in NT7, but never came across any routines that would affect the Title Bar(wasn't looking, either, as I didn't need it for NT7).

Btw, using Autohotkey, I can change the title in the Title Bar, but not only does the new title not show on the bar, this won't work for me, as I either need some sort of fix/workaround to make this work like NT7, or I need a way to do it from inside the chart, as in using a study, like mentioned above. It would be way too complicated to try doing any of this manually. If I have to, I can bypass actually seeing the new name in the Title Bar, as long as it's really there and Windows/Autohotkey know about it and can assess it. NT8 shows some stuff at the very top of the chart that ids the symbol/interval, but that info is not available to Windows/Autohotkey, it's just text at the top of the chart.
        Try using the window's Caption property instead of the Title.

ref: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...don_window.htm

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Koganam. I'll check this out. Looks like it might work, from the description in the help guide you supplied.

Assuming this works the way I think, I may be able to shove the symbol name and chart interval into the Title Bar, at which point I'd be all set, visually and via Autohotkey. Not sure how to interpret the help guide on where the caption goes, but I need it in the Title Bar, not just at the top of the chart.

I know how to code, but I don't know C# very well, so probably take a while to work this out, even tho it's pretty simple. I tried pasting the stuff from the help file at the end of a shell created by the Indicator Wizard, but it barfed, so I'll have to piddle around with this and work sumpin' out. Probably just code up a small study that I can include with each chart and that'd be the end of that.

Anyone who easily knows how to code up a quickie chunk of C# code that would just insert something like 'Test' into the caption and would be willing to supply that code in this thread would be most appreciated
          Last edited by AMATX; 01-12-2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Hi AMATX, thanks for your note.

You can change the dynamic title of your chart, go to your chart Right Click>Properties> Add to the Tab name "@INSTRUMENT_FULL @DATASERIES_ALL" this will display more info from within Windows.

Please let me know if I can assist any further.
            Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

BINGO(!) Thanks so much, ChrisL...this'll do the trick. Autohotkey sees exactly what I need.

Now I can continue migrating

Btw, I saw several different variables I could add to the tab. In addition, I noticed I could add my own custom string to the list, which is great. Is there any capability to have the these values show up on the tab/Title Bar, in viewable form, so that I can actually see what's listed? Similar to how Title Bars worked in NT7. If not, pls submit this as a future features request, as this might come in handy to have an eye catcher for unusual or important chart(s).
              Last edited by AMATX; 01-12-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Hello AMATX,

From a design perspective, when the window is in view we can see the Tab Name in addition to the window title I.E. "Chart." The active Tab name will also be reflective on the Windows Task Bar.

If you need the Instrument Name to be more obvious, I may suggest using an indicator like the following so the chart's instrument is more visible. The script can also be modified to show additional information,

Simple script that adds a background watermark of the instrument symbol (and expiry if a future) to the chart. (Updated July 10th, 2018 ‐ The opacity needed to be casted as a double and divided by 100 to be between 0 and 1) (Update: August 24th, 2021 – Subtracted the ChartPanel.Y so indicator can be […]

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

If this does not resolve your inquiry, could you elaborate on the advantage that would be seen if we request having the Title bar modified to match the Tab Name?

We look forward to assisting.
                JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BA-NT7-In-Focus.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	1083696Click image for larger version

Name:	BA-NT7-Out-of-Focus.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	1083693Click image for larger version

Name:	BA-NT8-In-Focus.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	1083694Click image for larger version

Name:	BA-NT8-Out-of-Focus.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	1083695
                  Attached Files

Comment

Jim, I've uploaded four pics, all BA 1m charts with studies/indicators/etc. removed. Just the bare bones.

NT7 - in focus, with Blue title bar and text easily readable.
                    NT7 - out of focus, with Gray title bar and text still readable.
                    NT8 - in focus, using slate light skin.
                    NT8 - out of focus, still slate light skin.

NT7 title bar works great. Easy to see/read, easy to modify, if needed. Not much diff between the two NT8 charts. Tab mainly has the toolbar icons, which are nice, but zero chart info that's easily read. The BA/1 Minute stuff to the right of the red 'Chart' eye-catcher is pretty small on my charts.

Depending upon the width of the chart, there is plenty of extra space to the right of the toolbar icons, which is where it would be nice to show some text, similar to the NT7 charts. Question is, how to do this?? The earlier info you posted allows me to associate text with the tab, but is not viewable. However, it -does- work great with my Autohotkey macros, which is what's most important.

Now, under real circumstances, NT8 puts some white text at the top of the chart area, showing the symbol, along with indicator stuff, like 1m 100 Moving Average related info, so I can determine the chart that way, but that's still a bit squinty, compared to NT7 Title Bar text.

My suggestion was to allow text to be placed in the tab, as currently possible, but have some way for it to show on the right side of the tab, in the empty space.

That way, the toolbar is still available, but we can also have an eye-catcher, in big print, if we want.

Can I currently do this?? If so, how? If not, can you add this to the suggestion pile?

Thanks.

P.S. In re-reading your last post, is a title bar still availble? I started with the default NT8 installation, and am still working my way thru the config stuff. You seem to indicate that the Tab bar is NOT the same as the Title Bar. To me, they're both the same, cuz they're both in the same place. If there's some way to cause a title bar to show up, above the tab bar, lemme know and I'll give that a try.

There's so much stuff in NT8, I'll never get through it all; I'm just trying to migrate my NT7 charts and indicators, at this point
                    ================================================== ============================

Another possibility might be to provide more backward compatibility with NT7 by allowing a 'Title Bar Only' option, that would hide/remove all of the toolbar stuff and just have a Title Bar, similar to NT7. Toolbar is great for users who are actively changing configs, etc., but for those of us who don't do much of that, the toolbar goes mostly unused. Once I had my charts setup under NT7, I very seldomly used the stuff that's in the current Tab bar. For things like loading specific workspaces, I just use keystrokes( 'Alt-F, W, O' to bring up the list of workspaces, etc.; effectively providing some of the functionality of the Tab, via keystrokes. Not as slick as the new toolbar, but still quick in/out when I need it. All depends on what each individual user does.
                    Last edited by AMATX; 01-14-2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Hi AMATX, thanks for your reply.

NT8 windows use a totally custom window system, so things provided by windows forms by default are not there. Your post addition "Another possibility might be to provide ..." is a notable feature request that I will submit to our development team. The title bar is not available by default, but NT8 is so customizable you can make an addon that can add whatever you want to the top toolbar. A NinjaScript consultant would be able to make such a tool.

Please let me know if I can assist any further.

Comment

Please add my vote.

#AMATX I believe you may be confusing 'Tabs' with Title bars. Search Tabs in Help, they weren't in 7. Apologies if you're not.
                        "NT8 windows use a totally custom window system, so things provided by windows forms by default are not there."
                        Yep, and why on earth is beyond comprehension to my mind. I had exactly the same experience as articulated by the OP when migrating from 7 to 8. I use a macro language similar to AutoHotkey (Lua script, a derivative of AutoHotkey used by Logitech gaming input devices) for exactly the same reasons as described by OP - ease of use. I could merrily hop around NT7 using pre-programmed macros for everything I wanted to do and had no use for Toolbar shortcuts and never needed to mouse click for any operation other than clicking on a DOM for order entry. Start up Ninja, launch Workspaces, Save Workspaces, move mouse from from chart to chart/DOM to DOM, change timeframe. a shed-load of work setting up productivity-enhancing keyboard Hotkeys macro to be consigned to the wastebin becaue of this.

Every other piece of Windows-based software I use and have ever used uses the Hotkey Shortcuts industry standard Windows convention - and 8 'uses a totally custom windows system'. NT's HotKeys provide an 'alternative' which was woefully lacking at the outset, is a Work-in-Progress and still a poor cousin at best, and being overly-polite.

This switch away from industry standards to an inadequate proprietary alternative is a major productivity retrograde step - and the 'justification' that it is part of Ninja's 'benefit' is that you can go hire a consultant to get what you used to have and is industry standard everywhere else is laughable and inward-looking, made all the more so given the poor quality offerings repeatedly released.

I pointed all this out when encountered the same experience migrating approx 2 years ago. Whoever in Development decided upon this flawed thinking clearly has a serious mismatch between self-perception and demonstrated capability.

The Windows Hotkey system is still 'in there', just not accessible - because in some circumstances due to inept programming it becomes accessible.

"is a notable feature request that I will submit to our development team."
                        Don't hold your breath #OP....

"but NT8 is so customizable you can make an addon that can add whatever you want to the top toolbar. A NinjaScript consultant would be able to make such a tool."
                        Yippee. It's so customizable I can spend my time coding and employing Ninjascript Consultants rather than just trading. I didn't need a Ninjascript consultant to increase trading productivity with 7. By coders for coders, that's the beauty of NT. And then, having done so, every time I discover/Ninja introduces a new bug - 'spend your time taking off all your add-ons - third-party and Ninja such as Watermark, so that you can test and troubleshoot our platform bugs for us' etc etc.

Yawn.

Simple - reverse the retrograde and flawed step of moving away from industry standard best practice on which AutoHotkey, LuaScript etc operate and have massive reach in software productivity enhancement toward a custom window system that offers no comparative advantage, restricts productivity enhancement and requires custom scripting, add ons and employing third-party consultants to effect.

How much time have you spent on this #AMATX? How much have I? And others. Hire a consultant?
                        And to what benefit the totally custom windows system?

Amen.
                        Last edited by brucerobinson; 01-15-2020, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Yes, Bruce, I've spent wayyy more time on this than I ever should have. But, no choice if I wanna migrate to NT8, so gotta bite the bullet.

A lot of what I've had to deal would could be avoided with more backward compatibility between releases. Surprises me that NT8 doesn't have more, as users are bound to be doing things that NT Development doesn't know about.

Anyway, I'm on my own, but at least Chris gave me enuf to work with for Autohotkey to do what I need. I came across some MSFT info on title bars and tab bars that is probably what NT used to change the look & feel, so I now have a bit better idea of what's going on.

I have an extensive 'puter/programming background, but NOT in Windows internals and zero in C# language, so doing much w/NT charts is really, REALLY time consuming. Strikes me as a pretty crappy language, but not much I can do about that. I don't wanna have to spec up in C# just to do some basic things, so I usually try to tweak existing indicators, etc. Goal isn't to become a C# guru or Ninjascript whiz, but to get charts config'd so'ze I can trade better NT charts do some things I find extremely valuable, and the product is usually pretty easy to deal with(essentially a great product), so I'm definitely interested in continuing w/NT.

As far as my Title Bar issues go, I may experiment with displaying a small label in the upper left or lower left part of the chart as an easy eye-catcher. I think I know enuf to do this without taking too much time. I may look into modifying the Tab bar or reverting it to a Title bar in the future, but for now, I need to get da charts up and running.

Any rate, thanks for the help, Chris, at least I now have enough to continue migrating...

And, btw, Bruce, you're right on about using macro languages to manipulate charts. That is THE way to go, for sure. I do a lot of what you described and more, so gots to have macro capabilities w/NT.
                          Last edited by AMATX; 01-15-2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Hello, all.

I have the feature tracking ID for this request below:

SFT-4563

Please check the release notes upon future updates to track added features:

Comment

I also use AutoHotKey with multiple keyboards, so making hotkeys available (hooks everywhere that can be tied into) as well as being able to control the "window title" is very important. Using C# is great; I just need to have the functions available and then learn how to use them. Big thanks to the Ninjascript team. The design is great and the support team is fantastic.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by funk10101, Yesterday, 09:43 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                              Started by TheWhiteDragon, 01-21-2019, 12:44 PM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB