NT8 drawing lines incorrectly between time series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 drawing lines incorrectly between time series

Hi, I'm having some difficulty with long lines being moved by the merge settings in NT8, currently switching between merging and not merging in the market data settings causes non-horizontal lines to be moved up on the chart even if they are set to 'locked'

Is there a way to prevent this? I can deal with moving the lines manually to adjust for merging after a contract has rolled, but doing it every time the data setting is changed is much worse.

attached are some images of the green lines being moved by the merge settings, whereas other lines are staying put.

while trying to test the effects of merging, one of my charts has had all the non-horizontal lines destroyed by moving their end points to the far left side of the chart, something I can only recover by rolling back the workspace.

Edit: recovering the old workspaces from the recovery folder did not fix the channel lines, somehow they have been permanently broken, even on xmls that were saved before the changes too place, can anyone explain that?
    Last edited by Audiofail; 01-14-2020, 12:19 PM.

Hello AudioFail,

Thank you for your inquiry.

This behavior is expected, When working with the merge policy depending on how many days back the data is loading, you are essentially loading separate date on your chart when you change the merge settings.

I recommend setting the Start Y and the End Y, in order to ensure that your lines do not move from there location. (see image)

I have provided a link to the Merge Policies from the NinjaTrader 8 Help Guide Below.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
    Attached Files
    Jermaine S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jermaine, thanks for the info, could you clarify what the purpose of settings a start and end y achieves? all of my lines already have start and end Ys, but they are still moved around when changing the merge setting.
      further to this, I'm also getting the charts producing new lines out of nowhere, which are then getting mixed in with the lines that were originally there, so I now have many more lines than I had before, derived from previous lines but now at slightly different angles and there is no way of filtering them in drawing objects, I will probably have to spend over an hour tomorrow trying to recover my charts to something resembling what they looked like before, but this is all expected behavior?

Thanks

Comment

Hello Audiofail,

Thank you for your update.

The expected behavior is that you would see the lines visually move due to the data changing how the data is plotted. If you check the Data in the line properties they should still have the same settings. If you change how the data is plotted that would change how the chart looks visually.

You did not mention other lines appearing at random. Are you using an indicator that plots trend lines?

There is no indicator built by NinjaTrader at the moment that plots trend lines in the manner that you describe.

Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.
        • Open your NinjaTrader folder under, "Documents" (sometimes called, "My Documents")
        • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
        • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
        • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: ##REQUESTID## ATTN ##ASSIGNED_FIRST##

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Hi Jermaine, apologies but this is probably a symptom of a larger issue which I will try to enclose:

I have an issue on NG, where using merge back or merge non-back produces an offset on the current bar, the data will be plotted correctly after that offset bar but the offset always moves to the current bar if historic data is reloaded, so I'm being forced to use the 'do not merge' global setting, which in turn has caused issues with lines, having now rebuilt my charts, it seems the shorter data range when using 'do not merge' was causing the start point of the lines to change to the first candle on the chart, rather than keeping it's original starting position in time, but maintaining the start and end Y values.

the more unusual behaviour, which is also more destructive, is that when changing from 'do not merge' to a 'merge' option, sometimes the line end X values are teleported to the start of the historic data, usually switching between the options just shifts the lines back to where they were when a merge option was used, but this doesn't always happen.

the issue with lines being created seems to be related to using the 'all charts' setting for the line, as this creates a new line entity on the other charts, this when combined with the rest of the mess I was dealing with, made it appear as though old deleted lines were re-appearing on the charts, but this was solved by making all the lines I wanted appear, just on 1 chart, then deleting all the lines from the other charts, then making the lines from the first chart appear on all charts again. this also seems to have fixed the lines appearing with offsets on different time series, but I will amend this thread if I can find another example of it happening.

for now, the priority issues are fixing the NG chart that is showing an offset when historic data is reloaded, and if you have any ideas what might be causing the lines to be offset on different time series, I've attached the relevant pictures for consistency.

Thanks

Comment

Hello Audiofail,

Thank you for your note.

The images you provided did not come through.

Resend the images to our platform support email.

Email [email protected] place ATTN: 2389877 in the subject line.

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Hi Jermaine, I've re-uploaded the photos to the post, hopefully they are visible now.

Another question I have regarding this: are drawing objects saved separately to the workspace xml? 2 of my instruments lost all of their drawing objects over the weekend and rolling back to a previous version of the workspace xml did not recover them, even though that xml was saved with all of the objects still on those instruments.

If the drawing objects are saved separately, could you let me know which file it is that I would need to backup/restore?

If the objects are meant to be saved with the workspace, could you let me know why my workspaces do not seem to be storing them correctly?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello AudioFail,

Thank you for your note.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to your response so I may investigate this matter further.
                • Open Windows File Explorer (hotkey = Windows key + E) Then navigate to, "Documents" (sometimes called, "My Documents") > 'NinjaTrader 8' folder
                • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
                • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.
                Email [email protected] place ATTN: 2389877 in the subject line.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this item.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by TheMarlin801, 10-13-2020, 01:40 AM
                21 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Bidder
                by Bidder

Started by timmbbo, 07-05-2023, 10:21 PM
                3 responses