Import csv indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import csv indicators

Hello, I created an indicator in python produces a csv file. I would like to import this data into ninjatrader to use it as an indicator, how can I do it?

Use how?

I mean, using any csv data as an indicator ... huh? ... not sure what you mean.

Can you be more specific?

What exactly are you wanting to do with the csv data?

Comment

I presume you mean you need to import the csv data, and then your indicator
      will use that data to do something.

Is your question how to import the csv data into your NinjaScript indicator?
      If so, that's actually pretty simple ...

I built my solution based upon this StackOverflow topic,
      Is there a default/official/recommended way to parse CSV files in C#? I don't want to roll my own parser. Also, I've seen instances of people using ODBC/OLE DB to read CSV via the Text driver, and...

Good stuff in there.

Comment

unfortunately ninjatrader is limited. I created an indicator in python that processes me daily data. the output is a csv. I have a column with the date other column with values. I would like to see them under an NQ chart.

Comment

Originally posted by bebbus View Post
          unfortunately ninjatrader is limited.
          NinjaTrader is extremely unlimited when used by the skilled Jedi warrior, er, I mean, C# programmer.

“The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.” — Chancellor Palpatine

Naturally, The Emperor was referring to C# and the .NET Framework, and how it provides many opportunities
          for both the Sith and Jedi to extend NinjaTrader in a huge variety of ways.

Originally posted by bebbus View Post
          I created an indicator in python that processes me daily data. the output is a csv. I have a column with the date other column with values. I would like to see them under an NQ chart.
          Hmm, you mean, like, in a separate panel, like what the CCI or MACD does?

That is not impossible.

But it will take some pretty solid C# skills to do that.

Are you proficient in C# programming?

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post

NinjaTrader is extremely unlimited when used by the skilled Jedi warrior, er, I mean, C# programmer.

“The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.” — Chancellor Palpatine

Naturally, The Emperor was referring to C# and the .NET Framework, and how it provides many opportunities
            for both the Sith and Jedi to extend NinjaTrader in a huge variety of ways.

Hmm, you mean, like, in a separate panel, like what the CCI or MACD does?

yes

That is not impossible.

But it will take some pretty solid C# skills to do that.

Are you proficient in C# programming? no
            I'm not an expert on C.

I'm not an expert on C.

Comment

This project is more suited for a skilled C# programmer familiar with NinjaScript.

You may want to reach out to a 3rd party developer, try looking at this post for more information.

Hang in there, what you want may be relatively straightforward.

Good luck!

PS: Are you an member of http://futures.io?
              This website offers lots of support for NinjaTrader users, they have many free indicators and
              lots of informative threads, esp this one.

Comment

bebbus

You should consider the chart lag that you will create by plotting an extensive amount of text data in an indicator. Too much data can make your chart practically unusable. I have an indicator that displays about 10 rows of short Draw.Text elements for my design and troubleshooting needs, and can only display 2-3 days worth of 1 minute data before the chart starts to lag. I'm using an 8 core/16 thread/32GB PC with a mid-level gaming graphics card. I believe that using OnRender for your display elements can mitigate the lag, but not totally prevent it.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi bebbus, thanks for your post.

There an example of reading in a CSV file in a simple way in this example:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-into-an-array

To plot the data it will take careful use of plotting and most likely a custom series:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../?iseriest.htm

For an example on plotting, there are many reference indicators in the NinjaScript editor such as the SMA.
                  Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
                  0 responses
                  1 view
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Jon17
                  by Jon17

Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM