Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change Ninjatrader Folder Location

Hi there.

Is there a way to change where the Ninjatrader 8 settings folder is stored?

On the latest builds of Windows 10 a fresh install now puts the "documents" folder into OneDrive by default. So when I install Ninjatrader the settings folder is in "C:\Users\Username\Onedrive\Documents\Ninjatrader 8"

I am now constantly getting onedrive sync notifications about Ninjatraders internal data files for historical data etc.

I would like to move the Ninjatrader 8 folder to C:\Users\Username - which is where it should be anyway; since it doesn't actually contain documents.

Is this possible?

Hello frantic,

Thanks for your post.

To resolve, you would have to disable the Documents folder from syncing with OneDrive. First, I would suggest making a copy of your Documents > NinjaTrader 8 folder on your desktop to avoid losing any saved data.

Open the notification tray by clicking the up arrow button on the right side of the task-bar. Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the tray and select “Settings” from the popup menu.

On the “Microsoft OneDrive” dialog box, click the “Choose folders” tab.

On the “Choose folders” tab, click the “Choose folders” button.

The “Sync your OneDrive files to this PC” dialog box displays. To prevent the Documents folder from syncing to your PC, select the checkbox to the left of the folder name Documents so there is NO checkmark in the box.

The first time you deselect a folder for syncing, the following dialog box displays telling you that the files and folders will stay on OneDrive but not on your PC. If they’re currently on your PC, they will be deleted. Click “OK” to close the dialog box.

Once you’ve deselected the folders you don’t want to sync, click “OK” to close the dialog box.

You are returned to the main “Settings” dialog box. Click “OK” to close the dialog box.

After the steps above are complete. You will need to download the platform here to reinstall.

Here is a publicly available link showing how to exclude individual folders from OneDrive:

http://www.howtogeek.com/222817/how-...in-windows-10/

We look forward to assisting you further.
    Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have this same problem and will try a work around, but this is NOT acceptable... Please install NT8 in a different location or allow users to select where it's installed.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion.

Keep in mind that the Documents location is perfectly functional unless another program (like OneDrive) interferes with NinjaTrader's use of its own files. OneDrive is particularly invasive in that it literally changes the file structure of your entire Documents folder.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-1740. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 01-28-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

I understand, but you guys will most likely run into this a lot as Microsoft pushes their OneDrive service (included with their office 365 subscription). Someone has to make the change so you don't have a bunch of frustrated clients, and I have a feeling Microsoft isn't going to change for NinjaTrader Thanks for looking into this

Comment

+1 for configurable path on install

Comment

Hello Robforee2,

Thanks for the note.

I have added a vote for you to this feature request.
              Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi;
                Is the configurable path already available?

If not is it possible to just uncheck the NinjaTrader Folders inside the Document Folder or do we need uncheck the actual Documents folder?

Thanks
                Thomas

Comment

Are you referring to disabling the Documents folder from OneDrive sync/backup? Yes, this is likely another solution. We recommend the complete disable or uninstall of OneDrive simply from lessons learned in previous experiences with our client base (like OneDrive re-syncing folders unexpectedly, for example).

The feature request being discussed here (SFT-1740) is about allowing users to install the NinjaTrader folder that is currently 'hard coded' to reside in the Documents folder to a different location. This is not currently possible through the NinjaTrader installer. The path that can be chosen during the current installation process is for a different set of files and folders related to NinjaTrader.

Comment

I can only agree to this matter. This really is an issue.
                    I WANT to use OneDrive and I´m perfectly fine with how OneDrive handles the documents folder.
                    But I don´t want Ninja-Trader in that location! Especially not with it saving the whole tick history there. Just some clicks and Ninja forced OneDrive to upload masses of files and storage...

Thank you for pursuing this issue further! We want that custom path...
                    Thomas

Comment

We are not OneDrive experts here at NinjaTrader, however, I believe it's possible to disable specific folders/files within the Documents folder from being backed up by OneDrive. Please consult OneDrive support for details on whether or not this is a feasible solution for you.

If you choose to proceed down this path, I recommend that you make a backup of the NinjaTrader folder to your desktop temporarily so you can ensure that you do not lose any information while adjusting OneDrive settings.

Comment

Hallo Patrick,

I already tried that.
                        OneDrive treats the Cloud als the leading database/ data storage. So you can exclude Sync, but that means, the data is in the cloud but doesn´t get synced to your HDD. When you save data in a folder with the same name as the un-synced cloud folder you get an error-notification that won´t disappear. Renaming the cloud-folder leads to a new sync of the new standard Ninja-folder.

From my point of view, there´s no way around putting Ninja in a Custom location.

Comment

+1

Please add my vote.

Comment

Seems ridiculous to me. I am having this same problem. I do not want to quit syncing my OneDrive, but I would like to be able to use Ninja from either home or the office. I think this would be a simple fix for Ninja. ADD MY VOTE!!

Comment

The suggested fix "to de-select Ninjatrader 8 folder from OneDrive" does not work anymore. I think it started last week; I have to do a clean re-install of Windows because I thought I might have corrupted my PC as I had a power problem right at the same time.
                              But after a clean re-install of everything, the same behavior occurred; that is, after Ninjatrader 8 is closed, files will be deleted as you watch the Recycle Bin, so the next time you run NT8, it will not run anymore as a lot of files have been deleted (by OneDrive).
                              There needs to be a solution because I also want to use OneDrive. At the moment I will disable OneDrive and manually upload my documents to OneDrive via the web app, and as you could imagine that is such a hassle.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                              Started by i019945nj, 12-14-2023, 06:41 AM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB