Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Problem with object scaling when I open NT8 (occasional)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with object scaling when I open NT8 (occasional)

Hi,
    Sometimes when I start NT8 all the objects on my chart are HUGE. For example an SMA which has size 6 in the indicator settings looks as if it is about 20. same for my price bars. The bars in the enclosed pic are supposed to be width = 6 when they are on the chart as if they are about 12-15. It doesn't have to do with the settings of the objects. They are all as they should be. Doesn't have to do with my monitor settings, all other programs, etc are their normal size. I've enclosed a pic of this. I have tried restarting my computer, sometimes that will fix it, sometimes not, reloading templates or workspaces doesn't help. Any idea what's going on. At times I have to walk away and not trade, because I can't operate in this weird visual space.

It does this randomly. I'll be using NT daily for a couple of weeks, no problem. Then this happens and I might not be able to get out of it for a day or two.

I have a Surfacebook with an i7-6600U CPU with 16G RAM, 64 bit running 2 screens and it is up to the task of running multiple workspaces in NT.

Thx, Scott
    Attached Files

Hello miracleworker,

Thank you for your post.

When this occurs, do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?

Next time, I suggest testing in Safe Mode to narrow the issue. Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:

Loading workspaces.
    Connecting on start-up.
    Loading custom assemblies.
    Getting instrument updates from the server.
    To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:

Exit NinjaTrader.
    Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
    Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
    You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.

Once in safe mode, connect to your data feed then open a test chart with indicators.

We look forward to assisting further.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thx Eric. I opened in safe mode and the same thing happened. I am including a screenshot. The left chart is a chart created with a template after opening in safe mode. The right chart is a chart I manually opened and included a stochastic with matching parameters. Both are causing the same problem. FWIW, the spec on the stoch are solid line width = 6, dotted line = 4, renko bar width = 6. You can see that everything is about twice as thick as it is when my charts are behaving normally. I don't know if this is an NT issue or some glitch between my GPU and NT. Nothing else is affected. I run my dual displays through an adapter:

Anker Dual Display Universal Docking Station with DVI/HDMI (up to 2048 x 1152) (specs on Amazon).

I am also going to upload my logs right now.
      Thx in advance, Scott
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello miracleworker,

Thank you for your reply,

Sorry to hear that didn't help. I received your email and advised steps to upgrade to the recent version.

I had also seen some errors regarding custom addons. Once the update is complete, please try the steps below also to see if any compile errors are found.

Open NinjaTrader
        From the Control Center select the New menu--> select NinjaScript Editor
        Double click on the Indicators folder--> then double click on any of the indicators
        Once the indicator code is in view right click in the window and select Compile to compile all NinjaScript objects
        At the bottom of the NinjaScript Editor window, a new section will appear where you can find the error locations
        You can exclude the file referenced in the editor by double clicking on the appropriate object type on the right of the NinjaScript Editor window. This will expand the object type folder. You can then select the file with a left click--> right click on the object--> then select Open to begin debugging the file, Exclude From Compilation, or Remove to delete the file.
        If you are unsure as to what the error is indicating, please send me a screenshot of the NinjaScript File column and Error column fully visible (not to be confused with the Code column)

Comment

Hi EricB,

Thanks for sticking with me on this.
          Still have the problem.

I have installed the NT8 update and went to compile everything.

The only error is in the Disparity Index. I don't know if more errors will come up once that one is dealt with.

(I have enclosed a .doc file with some screen shots to show what I am getting. Also the coded area which is apparently broken. But that is hard to imagine as it is a NT system indicator.)

I then opened the Indicator folder and tried to exclude the offending indicator and got a message that I can't exclude a system indicator, but on the other hand can't continue the compilation until it is resolved. Any suggestions?

In the mean time I'm going to try to re-install the update and see if this system indicators comes in without error.

Thx, Scott
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi EricB,
            I just tried to repair NT8 with a fresh (repair) install. Same problem still. Same error message about the Disparity Index. However, that indicator plots on a chart with no problem. Also, my custom add-ons don't show in my indicator list.

Also, I bypassed the Anker Dual Display Universal Docking Station I mentioned earlier and plugged a single monitor directly into my Surface Book with a mini Displayport to HDMI cable, still has the problem. Checked my Graphics driver, it is up to date. All my other windows drivers are up to date as well. Thus, I can't see how this would be a problem with my computer or the GPU or the docking station. It must be something in Ninja, like one of those custom assemblies, however, they are not currently compiled as they don't show up in my indicators list. I'm really at a loss. Have you ever seen this problem before?

Addendum: I also just unplugged my monitors from my Surface Book completely and ran NT8 strictly on my laptop with no extended monitors or docking station or anything. Just purely my laptop. Same problem.

Thx, Scott
            Last edited by miracleworker; 07-11-2018, 03:23 AM.

Comment

And now after I reverted strictly to my laptop I went back to my original configuration (dual monitor through the docking station) opened up NT and the problem was still there. Then I opened a fresh chart (no template or anything) AND IT WENT BACK TO NORMAL! Including a chart that was already open and having the scaling problem. It magically went back to normal as well. Truly maddening. I don't think this means it's fixed because, as I mentioned it is a problem that's been coming and going for a while.

And I still get the Disparity Index error and my custom add-ons are still missing.

Thx, Scott

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry to hear this has persisted - I suspect there is an issue with a template that may be causing this. Should it happen again, please shut down > go to Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > templates > chart. Temporarily move the template files listed to a safe location such as the Desktop, then restart and test for issue.

Can you please post a screen shot of the Disparity Index error coming up when compiling?

We look forward to assisting further.

Comment

Thx for the advice on templates. The disparity index screenshots are in the doc file attached to post #5

Thx, Scott

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Please follow the steps below to rectify the errors.

From the Control Center please select New--> NinjaScript Editor
                    In the NinjaScript Editor please right click and select References.
                    In the Reference window look for the .DLL file reference in the compile error by name (in the error the file name has a .cs at the end)
                    If you see the .DLL file reference please left click on the reference and select Remove
                    If you removed the reference in the previous step or you do not see the .DLL file reference then please select Add
                    The Add option will open a File Explorer, from the path that was opened please locate the .DLL file
                    If you find the .DLL please left click to select it and then select Open--> then select OK in the References window--> then right click in the NinjaScript Editor--> select Compile
                    If you do not find the .DLL in the File Explorer please close the File Explorer and References windows--> then navigate to Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom on your PC--> and delete the .cs file referenced in the compile error--> then right click in the NinjaScript Editor--> Compile

Comment

Hi Eric,

I think good news on both fronts. The disparity index problem is fixed. I tried to follow your instructions but couldn't find what I was looking for. Then I went to:

Documents > NinjaTrader8 > bin > Custom > Indicators

and found @DisparityIndex.cs and deleted it. Then recompiled everything in the Editor and all is well - no more error messages and all my custom indicators came back.

And I think this weird scaling problem has to do with my Anker Dual Display Docking Station. What I found is that when I start NT8 with my monitors running from a USB port on my laptop, through the docking station, into my 2 monitors, I have the problem. If I close NT, unplug my monitors and use strictly my laptop and its screen, then open NT, NT works normally. If I then plug the USB back in to engage my monitors through the docking station (after starting NT with just my laptop engaged) everything is fine on my dual monitor setup. If I then close NT and restart with my monitors still plugged in to my laptop, there is the problem again. I think I need to replace my docking station and see how that works out. My SurfaceBook has a mini DisplayPort and I think I'll get a mini DisplayPort to dual HDMI splitter and see how that works out.

If that doesn't work out I'll revisit this thread and see if you can help me further. Thanks for your help.

Best, Scott

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by pkefal, 04-11-2024, 07:39 AM
                      11 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post jeronymite  
                      Started by bill2023, Yesterday, 08:51 AM
                      8 responses
                      0 likes