Collapse

BUG? Editor Interface, Pulldown, Sync to user method of cursor position fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUG? Editor Interface, Pulldown, Sync to user method of cursor position fails

Hello,

On this page of the help docs
    https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...components.htm

It does not describe the dropdown / pulldown menu items under the toolbar of the editor, so I don't know the proper name of these elements.

I have noticed an odd behavior which may be a bug.

Most times, the position of your text cursor, when on a line which is part of a method (i.e OnBarUpdate), the editor's pulldown menu on the right edge, will show the name of the method where your cursor is located.

Other times, when the cursor is inside a user defined method (i.e. tryDelta() ), the pulldown menu is not synchronized to the name of the method.

I have noticed that, if it cannot determine which method it is inside, the pulldown menu defaults to the first method in the list of the pulldown menu.

I have also noticed, if you have a string of text which matches the name of a method, on a line near and above the cursor position...
    for example, if you have a call to a method DivergenceCheck() on a line above and near to the cursor, the pulldown menu which think you are inside the method "DivergenceCheck".

It is usually helpful to use the pulldown menu to show you where you are when working on a long script, but when it is not synchronized, the bug becomes a HULK SMASH feeling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-01-28 11_46_38-NinjaScript Editor - Indicator -.png Views:	0 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	1085391
    Last edited by balltrader; 01-28-2020, 11:06 AM. Reason: link to help page was incorrect, URL in browser not not update itself when clicking links from help system nav menu :(

Hello balltrader,

Thank you for the post.

Do you have a script that you can provide which demonstrates the issues that you are seeing? I can forward that to development for review. The NinjaScript editor is a third party control so this could relate to how that control works in general.

As a temporary/possibly permanent solution you can use Visual Studio instead which offers the same toolbar however visual studio is from Microsoft who also creates C# so it is designed specifically for C# profiling. If you have visual studio installed you may want to give that a try with the script where you are seeing problems to see if that also exhibits the problem. If so that may just relate to the structure of code used in that area of the script which is something that test could help isolate.

I look forward to being of further assistance.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ah ok, it ActiPro's SyntaxEditor!

I'd rather not send in my script, it is very long.

Since it's 3rd party, should I try to contact them for support, or since you are leasing it, do you contact them, or do you need a qty of requests above a threshold before you investigate this?

Comment

Hello balltrader,

We just need any example of the problem basically, if you don't want to send in your current script that is alright, if you notice this with any other scripts we could those instead as a sample.

If you have any kind of reproducible case I would suggest that you forward that to our support so our development can report it along with document it on our end. Any changes to the actipro will come from actipro but if that is also affecting NinjaTrader we would want to know so we can report it or update in future versions.

I look forward to being of further assistance.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by trilliantrader, Yesterday, 03:01 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
        Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
        4 responses
        0 likes