Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$150 Negative Spread?

Hello,

I was trading the overnight market, and after entering some trades in SIM mode, using a 10 contract position size, I saw that at the time of my entry, the spread caused me to instantly start off with a loss of anywhere from $150 to $300.

And I had a $300 loss upon entry quite a few times; far too many.

The spreads made it pretty much impossible to be profitable while trading the overnight.

I have a screen capture video of a trade that gave me an instant $150 loss upon entry, because of the spread.

And I have even seen a $100 loss upon entry because of the spread during the daytime markets, more than once.

I don't know how to figure out what the spread will be when I enter a trade, so it makes me very reluctant to enter any trades in the overnight, knowing that I might be hit with a $300 loss upon entry, before the price even goes anywhere.

Any comments or suggestions on that? I would particularly like to know if there is a way to know what the spread will be before entering each trade that I enter?

Trading is difficult enough as it is without having to deal with such things.

In the attached image screenshot from one of my screen capture videos, you can see that I pressed the sell button when the price was at 2.7385 then I instantly had a $150 loss because of the spread.
    Attached Files

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

Thank you for your post.

The FX Board and FX Pro windows found via the New menu display current spread. See the below section of our help guide for more on FX Pro.

http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...iew_fx_pro.htm

Outside of these windows, bid/ask information is displayed on all order entry windows, but spread is not. There is a custom indicator available on our forums call BidAskLine, which plots lines at the bid/ask on a chart to indicate spread.

http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...d=8&linkid=762

Custom add ons can be imported in NinjaTrader 8 via Tools > Import > NinjaScript Addon...
    Critical - Specifically for some indicators, it will prompt that you are running newer versions of@SMA, @EMA, etc. and ask if you want to replace, press 'No'
    See the below section of our help guide for more on using third-party add-ons.

http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ty_add-ons.htm

Let us know if we may assist further.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the links Eric,

I was trading the futures markets, not Forex.

But I used the wrong term, I mean to say Slippage, not the Spread.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

No, there is not a feature that can display or predict slippage on orders as this is due to market conditions. If needed, the below, publicly available link goes more a bit over slippage.

https://ninjatrader.com/blog/slippag...forex-trading/

Let us know if we may assist further.
        Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by i2w8am9ii2 View Post
          Thanks for the links Eric,

I was trading the futures markets, not Forex.

But I used the wrong term, I mean to say Slippage, not the Spread.
          The spread is clearly seen on the DOM as the distance between the inside bid and inside ask.

However, the real solution to not being subject to the spread is to not use market orders on illiquid instruments (or even liquid ones).

The best solution is to avoid trading illiquid instruments at all times.

Comment

Hi koganam,

Yes, you are right, thanks.

I was trading the HG in the overnight; not much liquidity there. I should have known better.

So many things to try to remember while the markets are moving at 100 mph and tempting traders to jump into markets that start taking off.

Maybe using limit orders would work in such situations, I'll need to test it out in SIM mode.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by kujista, Today, 06:23 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post kujista
            by kujista

Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 04:32 PM
            1 response