NT8 tick data files missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 tick data files missing

I've recorded tick data with NT7 and NT8 for over 10 years. I just discovered that the tick data files in my NT8 folders for any data that was converted from NT7 when I installed NT8 are now empty. I'm talking about the db/tick folder. I have the folders named after each instrument/expiry but there are no contents from about mid 2017 and earlier. I don't know how it happened but I certainly didn't go into each of the 100 or so folders and delete the contents. NT8 must have done this. I remember having some data file corruption issue a while back. Is there any logic in NT8 that could cause this to happen?

No NinjaTrader logic would automatically remove locally stored data. Could you elaborate on what steps were taken in order to diagnose/resolve the "data file corruption issue" you're describing?

Comment

Hi Patrick,
      Unfortunately this corruption event happened many months ago and my memory of exactly what happened is not fresh. I did not notice the empty folders until now because I simply wasn't using the historical tick data. There was some issue with the data, possibly caused by a power outage and I found that I wasn't able to get things working unless I removed the data folders. I did not delete them, just renamed the entire db folder and put in place a new one from a fresh install of NT. After things got working well again I moved the data back in. But I didn't pick through the folders taking only newer ones. That would have been a tremendous task and I would have remembered doing that.
      At any rate I just thought I'd ask to see if there was a use case that could have caused it to happen that you know of. Presently I found that I still have my NT7 data and I'm going to attempt to import that into a fresh install of NT8. I remember when I first installed NT8 that it asked me if I wanted to import the old NT7 data. I'm assuming it will still do this on a fresh install of NT8? Is there a way to import it without a fresh install?

Comment

The renaming of the db folder would have manually removed the historical data files, but if you moved all of that data manually back in I would expect it to be there. It's unclear what may have removed specific data based on the information you've provided.

You can force another migration without a 'fresh' install by editing your config file, however, keep in mind that this would overwrite all items in your current install with the information from NinjaTrader 7. You can learn more about what is/is not migrated here:Follow these steps if you want to re-initiate the migration process without a 'clean' install:
        • First ensure NinjaTrader 8 is closed.
        • Open the 'config.xml' file in any text editor
          • You'll find this file in your Documents > NinjaTrader 8 folder
        • Look for the migration line and delete the line entirely

• Save the config file.
        • Launch NinjaTrader 8 and you will receive the migration prompt.

Comment

Might be worth mentioning that once you get this ironed out and have your tick data under NT8, it's worthwhile to occasionally backup all of that historical tick data, along with perhaps the minute data, too. Easy way is to copy the respective folders to some other drive or computer. Don't put the copy on the same physical drive, cuz you could lose both sets of data if your drive craps out.

Comment

Great point, AMATX . Here is a link with more information about the built in back up tool:

Comment

Originally posted by AMATX View Post
              Might be worth mentioning that once you get this ironed out and have your tick data under NT8, it's worthwhile to occasionally backup all of that historical tick data, along with perhaps the minute data, too. Easy way is to copy the respective folders to some other drive or computer. Don't put the copy on the same physical drive, cuz you could lose both sets of data if your drive craps out.
              I had been doing exactly all of that for years. I somehow managed to lose it. But not all was lost. I still had my NT7 files and have been able to recover.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
              Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post RookieTrader