Collapse

Feature request: Double click line and ray creation, just like think or swim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature request: Double click line and ray creation, just like think or swim

Hello,
    After going over some of my past trades using TOS on-demand replay feature (wish the NT8 replay actually worked but that's a separate issue), I was thinking what a PIA it is to create lines and ray drawings in NT8 charts. With TOS, you just double click at your desired price level and presto, your line or ray is created on the chart. With NT 8, you have only the option to single click at the end of the line or ray you want to create, then make sure you have the price lined up exactly or it will create a line that's not straight. Ex. left click once at $4 on the left, then you have to click again on the right side of the line to create it and if your right hand side is even one cent off, it will create a crooked line. How archaic. Can we get with the times here and fix this please?

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

To clarify, is the issue that manually drawn lines are not lining up as perfectly horizontal/vertical? Which drawing tool are you using to draw these lines?

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan,
      I'm using the line or ray drawing tool (F3 shortcut key).
      I think I've explained the situation just fine. For further clarification however, download a copy of TOS and see how easy it is to just double click at $4 and your line appears with just one mouse click. No having to line up your left side of your line with the right side to get a straight line. Also the drawing tool on TOS stays engaged until you shut it off so you don't have to keep hitting a hot key like F3 in order to draw a new line.

Comment

Hello,

You can use the F6 shortcut to select a horizontal line which will allow you to place a perfectly horizontal line with one click on the chart. Similarly, you can create a vertical line with the F7 shortcut key.

To save drawing objects, be sure to save the workspace after placing the object to your chart. This will save the drawing object to that particular chart so it will load to that chart automatically when the platform is opened next.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Comment

Thanks Ryan,
          The F6 short cut will suffice for my needs, even though I prefer rays on my charts rather than lines that extend over the ends of the preferred time frames.
          I would still like to see a one click solution for placing rays on a chart however, getting back to how easy charting is with TOS and how NT is lacking with this issue..
          Thanks for the help.

Comment

So getting back to the original title of this thread- Can we get a feature request # for this double click to create a line or ray and make this program more ease of use like think or swim?

Comment

Hello bortz,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Comment

this request is drawing tools 101, the issue precisely described by the OP has been raised before by myself and others and Feature requested I'm not familiar with TOS or their solution - I suggested ('cos I've seen the implementation in various other non-trading drawing packages) you may have something like hold down the Shift key at the same time as drawing the line and it 'forces' the line to be either horizontal or vertical depending on where you mouse is relative to the line when you do so.

The problem is well described by the OP - you don't want to have to use an extended line across your entire chart as is drawn by F2 or equivalent Vertical, but you don't want to have to mess about trying to get a finite length freehand-drawn line horizontal. Wastes sooooo much time and sooooo annoyingly rubbish

The problem is exacerbated when you use 'Global' Settings - might look horizontal when you draw it on a higher TF, but drill down to a lower TF chart and it is not.

Archaic is the word. I remember Macrographics Designer graphics design software had this functionality 35 - yes, t h i r t y f i v e years ago

Comment

Thanks for chiming in and verifying this has been addressed before Bruce. I use this platform on a daily basis for day trading and some of these program annoyances make you feel like you're dealing with an old DOS program from the 1990's. How hard can it be for these programmers to implement simple drag and drop features like drag and drop tickers directly from the hot list analyzer into the market analyzer rather than have to manually type things directly into market analyzer to create your daily watch list. There's a lot to love about this program and it has so much potential to be even better, if they would just look around and see what the competition has been doing already. Or maybe they're just not up to the challenge?

Comment

Originally posted by bortz View Post
                    I would still like to see a one click solution for placing rays on a chart however, getting back to how easy charting is with TOS and how NT is lacking with this issue.
                    Although I don't have this in the ecosystem just yet.. and it's double click not single click.. This will do what your asking for..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NprZ4yLfw1g

-=Edge=-
                    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

Because we need to pay third party's to do what other platforms have built in? Uh-huh, smh

Comment

Originally posted by bortz View Post
                        Because we need to pay third party's to do what other platforms have built in? Uh-huh, smh
                        When something we want is not built in by default..

We have about 5 Options..
                        1.) Ask kindly then wait and hope it gets added..
                        2.) Try to find an alternative option for free..
                        3.) Purchase something that does what we want..
                        4.) Hire someone to code exactly what we want..
                        5.) Attempt to Code what we want Ourselves!

You have successfully completed option one..
                        Regretfully, I'm unaware of an option two..
                        (other than possibly using hotkeys)

Was just offering the next option in line..

Best of Luck!

-=Edge=-
                        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

I'd say there are two components that should be in Option 1 - Edge's, and to politely point out when it is basic functionality that is unacceptable in this day and age to not be included as core platform functionality and should not be waiting for it to be included and thus 2-5 should be moot

:-)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                          2 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post wzgy0920  
                          Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                          5 responses
                          0 likes