Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicators on charts running in the background go stale

Good morning,

A trading buddy of mine remarked that he has charts minimized because he only has two monitors and when he maximizes them to see what's happening, the indicators on the chart are stale. He can update them and everything is fine. The bars are current - it's just the indicators that are stale. I have the same problem... I used to run charts on another tab on the same chart dialog. Those didn't update either. Actually, once in a while they would stay updated but most of time I had to refresh them when I brought the chart into focus. I simply quit doing that and run them on another monitor in their own chart dialog where they're fine. I never thought about it again until he said something this morning. We're both thinking charts running in the background should run as though they are in the foreground. Is that not right? He was thinking maybe you've heard of that before and have a fix.

Thanks!

PS. Those indicators are using data collected in an OnMarketData override, in case that helps.

Hello,

Thanks for the post.

This is expected behavior with some indicators that detect when a window is not active by either being minimized or being the inactive tab in a window. It has to do with how certain indicators are written.

Can you please let me know which indicators you are experiencing this with so I can double-check that it is expected with those items?

Are they custom indicators or ones that came with the platform? If they came with the platform, which one(s)?

I look forward to your reply.

Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for replying. That's pretty much what I thought. They are custom indicators that are all overriding OnMarketData in order to load a data structure which are used to display draw objects on the chart.

Is there any way you can make whether to cause charts to sleep an option? Computers are capable of utilizing a whole lot more resources than they used to. I'm not sure what's the point in using the awesome Ninjatrader feature that allows the user to put another chart within the same chart dialog if it's just going to go to sleep.

Thank you!

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Edit:

Thanks for your patience.

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-4663. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Melissa; 03-02-2020, 04:24 PM.
        Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

In custom scripts, at State.SetDefaults, try adding IsSuspendedWhileInactive = false;

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by PhillT, Today, 02:16 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post PhillT
          by PhillT

Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
          3 responses
          0 likes