New Hard Drive => New Machine ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Hard Drive => New Machine ID?

Hi. If I upgrade my hard drive and then re-install NT8 will that new installation have a new Machine ID in NT8?

What causes the Machine ID to change?

Many thanks

Hello Traffic,

Thank you for your note.

Typically, hardware changes and items such as bios updates, windows updates, drivers updates can cause the Machine ID to change. With a hard drive change, I'd expect the machine ID to change too.

Please let us know if we may assist further.

Comment

Hi Chris

Thank you for explaining that. Isn’t there a better way? I am
      getting fed up with being told my Machine ID has changed after a Windows Update. With software from several third party vendors it’s a time consuming and tedious process and always interrupts my trading whilst I send the required emails to their support and wait for the response.

Comment

I can understand the frustrations here, however, this is the current method of ensuring that vendors may control the licensing of their products to one specific physical PC. It is relatively rare that a Windows update would change your machine ID, however, a hardware change will almost certainly change the machine ID. NinjaTrader does not control your machine ID directly. Your machine ID is generated by NinjaTrader based on your PC's fundamental hardware (like RAM, motherboard, etc.) and fundamental software (BIOS/UEFI version, Windows updates, firmware updates, etc.). If any of these items change, your machine ID is likely to change as well. There is no way to manually change your machine ID.

With that said, I have submitted an alternate method of unique identification of a specific PC for add-ons as a feature request to the Development Team. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-1992. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 02-21-2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Hi Patrick

Thank you very much for putting that to the Development Team. It strikes me that it must create a hell of a lot of work for third party support teams, and something quite tedious no doubt. It would help if there was a standard procedure as each vendor has a different one and if it was automatic.

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by Traffic View Post
            Hi. If I upgrade my hard drive and then re-install NT8 will that new installation have a new Machine ID in NT8?

What causes the Machine ID to change?

Many thanks
            I updated my main SSD to a larger one about a year ago and my machine ID did not change! I cloned the new drive from the old drive and expected to hit some issues but surprisingly didn't.

Comment

Hi FMtrader

Tbh, that’s what I would expect but it just goes to show the weakness in this part of Ninja. As end users we should be able to know exactly when to expect a change so that we can at least plan it into our schedule. This is trading after all!

Also some 3rd party vendors charge for a change of machine
              ID which then starts to add up to a not insignificant cost.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post jaybedreamin  
              Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
              6 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post DJ888