• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Entries per Direction & Unique Entries vs All Entries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entries per Direction & Unique Entries vs All Entries...

Hi everyone, I keep getting confused about what these two options do:

- entries per direction
    - unique entries

From my understanding, entries per direction specifies how many entries can be made, for example for a long position, if the strategy triggers a "long" signal. So if entries per direction is 2, I could see two open long trades open.

The second point about unique entries I don't understand. I was thinking it may be that you can't have a long and a short position open at the same time, say if your strategy triggered long and short signals.

Would anybody have the patience to explain this to me? Thanks a lot in advance!

Hello Oracletrades,

Thank you for your post.

Entries per direction you're pretty much dead on. If you have entries per direction set to 2, you can take up to 2 entries simultaneously in the same direction before NinjaTrader will ignore further orders. So, if you have one long entry, and you take another, until you sell an entry you cannot enter again.

Unique Positions is part of a property called Entry Handling, and that has to do with Signal Names. Basically, you can give unique names to your orders, and if you switch this to Unique Positions while your orders have unique names and your Entries Per Direction is 2, each of your uniquely named orders would be able to enter up to 2x each in a direction. So if I had 4 different uniquely named entries, I could have up to 8 entries with Unique Positions, but only 2 if I have it set to all entries.

From our help guide:
    EntryHandling.AllEntries NinjaScript will process all order entry methods until the maximum allowable entries set by the EntriesPerDirection property is reached while in an open position
    EntryHandling.UniqueEntries NinjaScript will process order entry methods until the maximum allowable entries set by the EntriesPerDirection property per each uniquely named entry
    There's a good example on this page from our help guide that illustrates the signal names:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ryhandling.htm

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
    Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by WHICKED, Yesterday, 09:03 PM
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post Emma1
    by Emma1

Started by oleotrim, Yesterday, 11:29 PM
    1 response