Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding to a position

Hello,

I've noticed on the trade performance report that, by default, when I add contracts to a position they are managed on a firs-in-fist-out ( FIFO ) basis. Can this some how be changed to LIFO? How is this done?

I am only trading a demo account but planning to purchase a lifetime license soon and my broker is IB. When trading my IB account through NT8, what should I do to configure NT8 to make sure that I add contracts with a LIFO management?

Thank you very much.

Hello crmtrader,

NinjaTrader does not have the ability to match traces with Last In First Out.

When using Atm Strategies, exits will be attached to specific entries they are applied to with each atm instance, but this may not be helpful for what you are wanting to acheive.

I will submit a feature request for the NinjaTrader Development to consider allowing trades to be matched by last in first out. Once I have a tracking ID for this request I will post for future reference.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you very much Chelsea,

do you already have a tracking ID for this request?

Thanks again

Comment

Hello crmtrader,

I have not received a tracking ID back yet.

Once I have a tracking ID for this request I will post in this thread for future reference.

I appreciate your patience.

Comment

Hello crmtrader,

I have received tracking ID# SFT-4137 for this request to match traces with Last In First Out.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Thank you,

in case this feature is not implemented, is this something I could ask someone to program for me?

In order to scale in and out contracts this is a feature that I definetely need and I was about to buy the lifetime license.

Thanks again

Comment

Hello crmtrader,

Scaling in and scaling out would not need this.

It is already possible to scale in and out manually and with automated strategies and have the trade performance pair correctly.

In the support department at NinjaTrader it is against our policy to create, debug, or modify, code or logic for our clients. This is so that we can maintain a high level of service for all of our clients as well as our partners.

That said, I am happy to answer any questions you may have about NinjaScript if you decide to code this yourself.

We do have a large ecosystem available to help you with programming logic questions. You can post on our forum and ask the other 40,000+ forum members.

You can also contact a professional NinjaScript Consultant who would be eager to create or modify this script at your request or assist you with your script. The NinjaTrader Ecosystem has affiliate contacts who provide educational as well as consulting services. Please let me know if you would like our business development follow up with you with a list of affiliate consultants who would be happy to create this script or any others at your request.

Comment

Thank you very much.

I guess that, due to my lack of knowledge about how NT works I, might not have asked the right question.

I think I am better going to explain to you my need so that you let me know what diferent choices I have.

All I want to do is to scale in and out of a position manually so that if, for example, I open a long positon with 1 contract at 2410 in ES and scale in with another contract at 2420, if a retracement starts at 2421, when I push "sell" in the chart trader I can sell the second contract, the one I opened at 2420. That way I can close the contract that would start to loose money, and keep open the contract that is still making money.

What I've noticed on my demo account trade performance report is that when trying to do this it first closes the second contract and then the first one, so that it closes the contract that is making money and keeps open the contract that is loosing money. And this is how my first question came about.

So now, taking this into account, what is the solution to my problem?

Thank you

Comment

Hello crmtrader,

Chelsea is currently out of the office at this time.

You would be looking to have the Trade Performance report allow for accounting of trades in a Last In First Out fashion. Your feedback is tracked to have the functionality considered in a new version of NinjaTrader.

We look forward to assisting.
                  JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

#crmtrader
                    What you are asking for has been requested by many Users for many years, certainly preceding NT8, possibly even NT7.
                    Lest you surmise otherwise and realising you are new to the language used in the Forum, I wouldn't take your feedback being tracked for consideration in a future version as a strong, or in fact any, indication of likelihood or imminence. In fact I would suggest 'new version' gives you a clue whilst not explicit - not in NT8.
                    Re: paying a professional Ninjascript consultant to create this functionality for you, I would suggest you first take a look over at Futures.io where you can find a thread on the topic. Some apparently highly experienced and competent Ninjascript coders have failed to fully accomplish this, although have made some progress and which is freely available to members, and which you may find informative.

Comment

brucerobinson, thank you very much. I really find it surprising that such a simple way of managing a position is not supported.

NinjaTrader_Jim, thank you for your response. I'd just like to make clear that it's not accurate that I'm "looking to have the Trade Performance report allow for accounting of trades in a Last In First Out fashion". I'm not interested on the trade performance report. What I'm interested in is in trading my Interactive Brokers's account through NT8 so that after opening a position with 1 contract and scaling in with another contract, when covering 1 of the contracts NT8 covers first my last opened contract, not the first one, as I am noticing right now on the trade performance report.

According to ChelseaB "It is already possible to scale in and out manually and with automated strategies and have the trade performance pair correctly". It that statement is correct, I would like to know how.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hello crmtrader,

As long as you are not talking about Last In First Out and you are expecting First In First Out, I have a managed approach example that demonstrates scaling in and scaling out.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
                        5 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post cmtjoancolmenero  
                        Started by gbourque, Today, 06:39 AM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes