Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup Internet Connection - Hourly Data Usage Calculator

Hello,

I'm trying to decide on which back-up internet connection service and device to use.

One of them, SimplyFailover.com gives 5mb of data usage free, if my primary internet connection fails and then charges $15.00 per GB after that.

They have an Hourly Data Usage Calculator at the website below, but I am not able to determine how much data the Ninjatrader 8 platform would likely require per hour

Would anyone have an idea?

During an internet outage, would I be likely to require less than 1 GB of data, for an hour or so, to give me time to exit my position?

i2w8am9ii2

Maybe the file sizes inside the db/(tick|minute|day)/* folders would give you a rough estimate.

I mean, the historical data saved in those folders usually starts out as real-time data, which, of
    course, had to be downloaded ...

But, IMHO, 5MB sounds incredibly INCREDIBLY low ... you'll probably use that pretty darn
    quick, so you should just assume you'll always pay that $15.00 as you dip into the 1GB after
    that first 5MB ... just my 2˘

Comment

That website says this,

"The initial charge is $0.00. The base monthly fee is $54.99•, and if your primary connection never goes down, that is all you'll pay. If your primary internet connection fails and SimplyFailover switches on, the first 5mb of data usage is free, and all usage thereafter is billed at $15/GB. The SimplyFailover term is for 36 months, after that you pay month to month OR get a technology refresh and get all new hardware and service."

Seems to me paying $54.99 and you hope to only ever use 5MB (which is "free") is missing the forest for the trees.

$54.99 => $54.99 every month for 0-5MB of data
      -or-
      $54.99 + $15.00 => $69.99/month for 1.05 GB of data

I'd examine using Cable as your primary and DSL as your backup ... probably a lot cheaper.

Comment

Hi bltdavid,

Thanks for your reply and for the info.

I will look into using cable as my primary (I use Spectrum with an Ethernet connection now) and DSL as my backup.

Comment

There is also comet failover which is $59.99 per month and they give up to 5 GB per month.

Comment

Originally posted by i2w8am9ii2 View Post

They have an Hourly Data Usage Calculator at the website below, but I am not able to determine how much data the Ninjatrader 8 platform would likely require per hour

Would anyone have an idea?

During an internet outage, would I be likely to require less than 1 GB of data, for an hour or so, to give me time to exit my position?

i2w8am9ii2
            Install the freeware version of Networx and you will see in detail how much yiou upload, download, speed.....

As you only download data for NT8 volume will not be so terribly high. But don't watch anything on Youtube at that time...

NetWorx is a versatile tool for monitoring bandwidth, measuring network connection speed, logging incoming and outgoing traffic usage and collecting statistics.

I think that this the latest free version, but it will do the job:

Last edited by marcus2300; 03-10-2020, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks marcus2300,

I appreciate it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Rapine Heihei, 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Max238
              by Max238