Memory issue running Shark Indicators tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory issue running Shark Indicators tools

HI. I've been running a demo of tools from Shark Indicators, primarily Bloodhound and Blackbird. Each time I attempt to run Blackbird with auto trading on for an extended period of time (like, say, 24 hours) I end up with Ninja Trader crashing. I want to add here that I have been running various versions of NT8 for 2 years and never had it crash, until now.

I have completely uninstalled and re-installed NT 8.0.21 and nothing else is installed within NT8 except Shark tools.

I've been in frequent contact with Tech Support from Shark. They are convinced that there is an issue with my PC due to the fact that the following messages regularly occur in the log files before NT crashes:

2020-03-08 16:26:57:757|3|16|Failed to call OnRender() for chart object 'SharkIndicatorsChartTraderFlags': 'Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.'
    2020-03-08 16:26:57:767|3|16|Failed to call OnRender() for chart object 'SharkIndicatorsChartTraderFlags': 'Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.'
    2020-03-08 16:36:47:573|3|4|Indicator 'SiBloodHound': Error on calling 'OnRender' method on bar 38859: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

I have run multiple passes of memory diagnostic tests on my PC using both the Windows 10 memory diagnostic and an app called memtest86. Neither of these tools has found any errors or issues with my PC's memory.

So here are my questions:
    1) Can any of the technical folks at Ninja Trader tell me what "attempted to read or write protected memory" means?
    2) What exactly is "protected memory" vs any other memory?
    3) Any suggestions as to what else I can do to trouble shoot this issue?

Thanks!

Ralett,
    Meantime whilst NT get back to you....
    I don't claim any great tech expertise, although been around a while.
    The protected memory, iirc correctly, can mean you're running out of available rather than something wrong with it (memtest etc)... Which may be consistent with your experience - crunching numbers over extended time
    Suggestion if you've not already: search online for increase your pagesys virtual memory and don't let Windows manage it. It's not a bad thing to do anyhow, especially if you're going to be crunching.
    Feel free to ignore :-)

Comment

Hello Rallet,

Thanks for your post.

BruceRobinson has provided an excellent explanation of this, thank you.

I'd like to take a look at your log and trace files for this issue. These files contain diagnostic information related to what is occurring on your platform that will help us resolve this issue in a timely manner.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "2451692 ATTN Marco G" in the subject line and a link to this forum post in the message body so I may investigate this matter further.

Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
      Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
      Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
      Once you have emailed these to us, you may delete these compressed folders.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this item for you.

Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
        Ralett,
        The protected memory, iirc correctly, can mean you're running out of available rather than something wrong with it (memtest etc)... Which may be consistent with your experience - crunching numbers over extended time
        Suggestion if you've not already: search online for increase your pagesys virtual memory and don't let Windows manage it. It's not a bad thing to do anyhow, especially if you're going to be crunching.
        Bruce,

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly look into that. The machine has 32GB of RAM. I have watched the memory usage for NT8 in task manager per a request from Shark tech support. The number never got bigger than 2900 MB and is typically closer to 2100 MB. That said, I understand physical and virtual are handled differently.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
          Ralett,
          Suggestion if you've not already: search online for increase your pagesys virtual memory cutfullprice and don't let Windows manage it. It's not a bad thing to do anyhow, especially if you're going to be crunching.
          Thank you for the suggestion brucerobinson, I was having a similar problem and your advice helped me to solve it.
          Last edited by adencannon; 09-11-2020, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
          8 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post rehmans
          by rehmans

Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes