Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Speed Gigabit Ethernet Cable for Faster Internet Speeds

Hello,

I am learning about computer networks, hardware, connections, protocols and so on, to attempt to have the best and fastest internet connection that I can have at all times.

First on my list is to replace my old Ethernet cable with a more modern, faster one. I was told that the following types of Ethernet cables are the fastest:

1000BaseT 1Gbps twisted pair Gigabit Ethernet cable ... or ... 1000BaseF 1Gbps fiber optic Gigabit Ethernet cable

But the info that I obtained regarding these speed figures might be a little bit outdated, not sure. I did a Google search and found these two Ethernet cables on Amazon. Can anyone make any suggestions?

1000BaseT 1Gbps twisted pair Gigabit Ethernet cable Amazon

1000BaseF 1Gbps fiber optic Gigabit Ethernet cable Amazon

Thanks,

i2w8am9ii2

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

We welcome the NinaTrader forum community to make recommendations on this matter - Platform Support is unable to comment or recommend on hardware items outside adhering to our specifications.

You can find the supported operating systems in the installation guides:

NinjaTrader 7 Installation Guide

NinjaTrader 8 Installation Guide

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply.

Okay, not a problem at all. I understand

If someone on the forum has any recommendations or suggestions, please let me know.

I'll also continue researching this and post my findings if I feel they will be helpful.

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

my recommendation is:
        from telco to your home, choose fiber
        after the modem just use good quality copper wire.
        if thats not good enough, i think there are pcie cards to connect optical fiber directly to your pc
        Last edited by timko; 03-11-2020, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Hi timko,

Thanks for your input.

Not sure I understand the tech jargon you are using. I bit more advanced than the knowledge that I have at this time.

I don't know what telco is or what pcie cards are or how to use them to connect optical fiber to my pc.

I have been wanting to use fiber optic Ethernet cable over twisted pair, if possible. I'm just not quite yet up to speed on reading the tech jargon for the Ethernet cables available online at Amazon and so on.

So far what I am understanding is that I want 10GBase-F (10Gbps fiber optic Gigabit Ethernet), or 25GBase-F (25Gbps fiber optic Gigabit Ethernet), or 40GBase-F (40Gbps fiber optic Gigabit Ethernet).

I don't think there are speeds faster than that.

But so far I can only find 10GBase-T (twisted pair) which is supposedly also able to utilize speeds up to 25GBase-T and 40GBase-T.

Not sure how that works.

And I am not sure if I can get the same specs in fiber optic or not. Do you have any URLs to fiber optic Ethernet cables?

Thanks again,

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

i2w8am9ii2, first of all, to my best understanding, ethernet is for LAN (local area network). You can interpret telco as your service provider. So,
            1. from your service provider to your home, always opt for optical connection. Your service provider will give you a modem to change the optical signal to electrical. This electrical signal talks the Ethernet language
            2. in your home/office, you can deploy your (local area) network using electrical wiring or optical wiring. If your area is small or the longest run is within a distance of 10 meters, I would say electrical is good enough as the design spec is up to 100 meters. Otherwise, the electrical signal will get more and more corrupted and you need some sort of signal conditioners in between. So, if the longest run in your area is over 100m, you have to consider using an optical deployment because 100m is the design limit of the electrical wiring. Take note the limit is even lower for higher speed electrical deployments. google it.
            In summary, optical provides better signal quality over a long run. I would say, if you can only afford a telco connection at 1Gbps, you don't actually need to invest higher speed cables within your area except that you have a MUCH higher traffic inside your LAN. If you have a simple domestic network, not too many nodes, not too large area AND you are not going to use appropriate active components, my suggestion is to forget about any forward-looking installation of expensive passive components such as cables as electrical cable qualities can change over time...

Comment

Hi timko,

Thanks for your reply and for the info.

So if I understand correctly, you are talking about the Telco Systems products located at:

Network Edge At Telco Systems, we understand the importance of providing reliable, high-performance connectivity to customers, regardless of their location or device. That’s why we offer a comprehensive range of network edge solutions designed to help service providers deliver secure and efficient connectivity to their customers. Our network edge solutions include Carrier Ethernet demarcation and […]

Thanks, I will look into them.

I'm also looking at the Simply Bonding product, which appears quite impressive, but is a bit expensive:

Unleash the true power of the internet with SimplyBonding from 5Gstore! Many routers have options to use 3G, 4G, cable or LAN network connections. But unlike a load balancing router that merely runs connections in tandem, our SimplyBonding hosting service uses PepLink\'s SpeedFusion technology to combine them into a single ultra-fast*, ultra-reliable, and unbreakable connection. Better yet, if one connection goes down, the remaining connections will continue uninterrupted with no down time - all you need is one healthy WAN for \

And I'm looking at CometFailover:

Cometfailover is the leader in providing Backup Internet Solutions for 4g-5g connectivity, LTE routers for your business growth and unlimited POS Data plan.

From what I understand so far, I want CAT7 or CAT8, a fiber optic cable if possible, if not, then a double shielded or shielded Copper Twisted Pair cable with a 10Gbps transfer speed, minimum.

Anything I got wrong or any additional info I need?

Thanks again,

Comment

Originally posted by i2w8am9ii2 View Post
                So if I understand correctly, you are talking about the Telco Systems products located at:

https://www.telco.com/products-by-ca...-over-ethernet
                Uh, I doubt it. The word 'telco' is a generic term, long used by old-timers to just mean 'telephone
                company' -- any telephone company -- or really, 'the telephone company currently providing
                you with your telephone connection', whoever that happens to be.

Nowadays, telephone connections and telephone companies are not as important as your
                'internet provider' -- which is usually dubbed ISP (Internet Service Provider).

The lines are blurred a bit because a lot of telco's started to provide high-speed broadband
                service (known as DSL) in the 1990s. So, a lot of telco's are also internet providers.

But, alas, cable-TV companies got into the 'internet provider' business, too -- so when someone
                says 'telco' when they probably mean 'internet provider', it just says that person graduated from
                high school a long, long time ago ...

Comment

Thanks for the info, bltdavid,

I appreciate the clarification.

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

For cable, I would recommend going with a Cat6 cable. Here's a link

Since you are asking for cables, I assume "wireless" connectivity has been ruled out, which is good. Lastly, I would recommend connecting your PC directly to your ISP provided modem, and not going through your home router. That way you have a direct connection to the Internet. Most ISP modems should have multiple RJ-45 Ethernet ports, so one Ethernet port can be connected to your PC which you use for trading, and potentially another RJ-45 port can be connected to your home router for your other connected devices, such as phones, tablets etc.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi ksarin,

Thanks for your reply and for the link.

Thanks also for the info and for your suggestions.

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

Originally posted by ksarin View Post
                        Lastly, I would recommend connecting your PC directly to your ISP provided modem, and not going through your home router. That way you have a direct connection to the Internet. Most ISP modems should have multiple RJ-45 Ethernet ports, so one Ethernet port can be connected to your PC which you use for trading, and potentially another RJ-45 port can be connected to your home router for your other connected devices, such as phones, tablets etc.
                        You're probably referring to combo devices that have the cable modem + router all in one unit.

These are the type of devices ISPs want to lease to their customers, because it's a 'service' to
                        customers to provide a cable modem plus a wireless router in the same unit. Yes, that device
                        will have 4 Ethernet ports for direct cable connections -- but this is no different than having a
                        Ethernet cable plugged into a separate wireless router (which is itself connected to the cable
                        modem).

The multi-device setup (where the customer supplies their own router device) is preferable
                        because of the control and flexibility it allows -- esp in cases where you might want to buy
                        a 3-unit 'mesh' system to combat WiFi blind spots in your home.

Your ISP wants you to lease their combo device because A) they can charge you more,
                        and B) it allows them to establish an additional private wireless network, out of your control,
                        which allows their other customers to login to their 'nationwide WiFi network' -- as long as
                        they happen to be within a few hundred yards of some other customer's combo device,
                        and, yep, that means sometimes complete strangers could be using your(*) combo device.

(*) Technically, since you are leasing it, it's not really yours. Thus, Comcast, or whoever,
                        can setup hundreds of thousands, even millions, of 'special' WLANs all across the country,
                        and poof! their 'nationwide WiFi coverage' is really just a service built by piggybacking
                        off millions of their established customers' leased combo devices. Comcast loves this.
                        They won't pay electricity on any of these devices, but they can setup each combo
                        device remotely -- making each device participate in a huge private wireless network
                        (aka, their so-called nationwide WiFi network) all meshed together with millions of other
                        customer leased devices.
                        Last edited by bltdavid; 03-14-2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by PaulMohn, Today, 12:36 PM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                        Started by yertle, Yesterday, 08:38 AM
                        8 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post ryjoga