Memory Leak in Strategy Analyzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory Leak in Strategy Analyzer

I am experiencing a memory leak in Strategy Analyzer while doing an optimization. It is reproducible during Safe Mode and using the Sample MA Crossover Strategy. It is reproducible according to your staff. The committed and working memory for ninjatrader.exe in resource monitor keeps climbing and climbing until it maxes out and creates a resource exhaustion error and low virtual memory error in Windows. Is there a work-around for this?

I have a large project to do in the Strategy Analyzer and I can't wait 6 months for a new release to come out to fix this issue. The development I am working on is dead in the water until this gets fixed. Is there a way to increase the priority of this fix?

Hello peterslane1,

Thank you for your post.

Do you have a reference number of any kind for this particular issue so that I may more easily look into this for you? If you know who you were working with previously on this issue, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.
    Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Support Request 2456484

Comment

Hello peterslane1,

Thank you for your reply.

The technician working with you on that ticket will be in a little later today and will follow up with you as soon as he is able. I currently have no further information on this request; however, noting that we were just able to reproduce the issue yesterday, these things do usually take a bit of time for our development team to work on.

Comment

NT8 has the same memory leak in Strategy Analyzer AI Generate(Experimental) in Safe Mode. Committed and working memory continues to climb. After aborting the run, memory does not return, it stays working.

Comment

Hello peterslane1,

I will pass along your findings to the technician handling your inquiry.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.

Comment

This is a serious issue which basically renders the platform useless in terms of doing optimization. The fact that this is easily reproduced means it should be fast tracked for a point release.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

After further testing, I was able to reproduce this behavior on my end. I have submitted a bug report on your behalf detailing this behavior to the development team to try and implement a solution in a future release of NinjaTrader.

I will update this post with any updates as they become available to me.
                Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

For further clarification, is this Strategy Analyzer memory leak issue going to be worked on and fixed for 8.0.22? Can you provide some kind of confirmation that the development team will fix this critical item functionality? Thank you! I appreciate your team and product!

Comment

Hello peterslane1,

Shawn, the technician handling this issue, is currently out of the office. I will need to check with him on the status of the issue and should have more information for you tomorrow.

Comment

Hello

I rely very heavily on the optimizer and have not yet upgraded to NT8 8.0.21.
                      Is there a more specific description of the circumstances surrounding this issue?
                      I don't want to upgrade if it is going to cause problems for me.

Thank you

Comment

Hello Peterslane1 and Zigfried,

Thank you for your replies.

This issue is currently being tracked under the number TS-2274. Unfortunately, I do not have any further updated information on the status other than it is being looked into by our team.

The issue reported has to do with memory usage going back up when conducting a Optimization that appears to not reduce once the optimization is complete.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.

Comment

Hello,
                          Based on the forum, I realize this critical function memory leak in Strategy Analyzer has been going on for 5 years. What was the outcome of the related tracking id: SFT-3302? Thank you!

Comment

Hello peterslane1,

SFT-3302 is specifically for improving drawing tool performance when used in backtests. There is no current update on this request - it is still active and I would be happy to add a vote for you to it as well if you've not had one added already.

Comment

peterslane1... this is not a fix... and I haven't confirmed with multiple instances, but I *may* have found a workaround...

I was running some optimizations...had high memory use, which did not drop after optimization completed... UNTIL...I changed workspace!
                              More specifically...
                              Ran optimizer
                              Stopped ... no change in memory used
                              Waited... no change
                              Closed the Strategy Analyzer window... no change... so I thought I'd be more drastic...
                              Switched to a different workspace... and bingo! Memory usage dropped

Apologies if this is just a coincidence,.. would be nice to see if it works for other users ;-)

Hope it helps... but, seriously, NT need to sort this.

Regards,
                              T.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Mestor, 03-10-2023, 01:50 AM
                              16 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post z.franck  
                              Started by rtwave, 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM
                              4 responses