Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to place opposite trades on same instrument?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to place opposite trades on same instrument?

How can I hold a long and short position on the same instrument? I can only hold a long or short position at once on the same instrument.

It is not possible to hold a long and short position in the same instrument and account. 1 long + 1 short = flat. You would need to trade to separate accounts to truly hold a long and short position simultaneously in the exact same instrument.

With that said, one of the great features of NinjaTrader is its ability to manage multiple virtual positions in the same market. This allows you to manage a virtual long and short position in the same market simultaneously.

Here is how this is accomplished:
    • Open 2 SuperDOMs or 2 Charts (with Chart Trader) and set them both to the same market
    • Right click in on of the order entry windows and select the menu "Properties"
    • Set the 'ATM Strategy selection mode' parameter to "DisplaySelectedAtmStrategyOnly"
    • Repeat the last two instructions on the second order entry window
    • Submit a buy order to open a long position in the first order entry window
    • Submit a sell order to open a short position in the second order entry window
    In addition to these instructions, I suggest reviewing the content available in our Online Help Guide specific to this topic.

Comment

I have a account with you. Is it possible for me to trade @ES with multiple strategies which send order from Tradestation to NT 7.0 or 8.0? Sometimes, I might hold long and short positions at same time? If possible, how it works, is it legal or illegal by law?

Thanks,

ccl3093
      Last edited by ccl3093; 05-31-2020, 08:27 PM.

Comment

It is not possible to hold a long and short position in the same instrument and account. 1 long + 1 short = flat. You would need to trade to separate accounts to truly hold a long and short position simultaneously in the exact same instrument.

I recommend that you reach out to your broker or prospective broker to ask about the feasibility and legality of your proposed strategy. If you're going to be using NinjaTrader Brokerage, you may contact my colleagues directly here:
        • brokeragesupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com

Comment

I'm using Ninja in simulation mode. I'm trying to simulate hedging.
          According to an information I asked on another thread , I created 2 simultaneous connections to two separate accounts for FXCM demo. They are running.
          3 questions:

1) I want to simulate hedging , so I'll have 2 separate strategies one for long , another for short trades. However , when I'm adding a strategy to a chart, only SIM101 account is available in "Strategies" window.
          Does any method exist to assign an account programatically, in real time mode, to a particular strategy instance in Ninja simulation mode ?

2) Can I know from what account arrives the data displayed on a chart ? It may be significant , when I'll decide to get data from different brokers simultaneously. Is it possible to have 2 separate charts , one getting a data from broker 1 , another from broker 2 ?

3) What's a difference between FXCM adapter and Ninja Trader FXCM ?

Thanks ,

Comment

1.) SIm101 is the only account available by default when connected to a demo, however, you can create additional simulation accounts:
            • Control Center > Accounts tab > Right-click in a blank area > Add simulation account... > Configure as desired > OK
            Once you have more than one account, you could select these accounts in your manual order entry windows or automated strategies.

2..) The data will come from the first-connected connection. You can read more about how multiple connections work here:3.) As far as the adapter (API) is concerned, nothing. These different provider names are used to differentiate live clients from different sources on our end for licensing purposes.

Comment

Well, I am able to add simulation account , but I am not able to control to which connection they are bound. I have two active connections , called MyFXCM1 and MyFXCM2 , both connected.
              However Account Data shows that both simulated accounts are connected to MYFXCM1 . As I told , my purpose is to simulated hedging using separate strategies on separate account. If my both SIM accounts are connected to the same MyFXCM1 I cannot do it. See enclosed screens snapshot.

May be I don't understand something ?

Attached Files

Comment

When I disconnected MyFXCM1 , both accounts are shown to be connected to MyFXCM2 now. I may guess that by default both SIM accounts connect to the first active connection. I have to achieve a state when one SIM account is connected to MyFXCM1 , another to MyFXCM2 . Otherwise - if I understand properly - I cannot simulate hedging.
                So please let me know how can I do it - from UI or from my code.
                Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. You're correct - the sim accounts will be 'bound' to the first connected connection. It's not currently possible to define what connection a simulation account is connected to. In a live environment, the account would be bound to the username used to login.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-2861. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:
                  Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 07-10-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

It means , there is no possibility to simulate hedging, using NinjaTrader in simulated mode. Isn't it ?

Comment

You can place trades to your separate simulation accounts - going long in one account and short in another. This would be as close to hedging as would be possible in the NinjaTrader platform since hedging is not supported in simulation or in live accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
                        You can place trades to your separate simulation accounts - going long in one account and short in another. This would be as close to hedging as would be possible in the NinjaTrader platform since hedging is not supported in simulation or in live accounts.
                        That what I'm trying to do, but may be I overlooked something. If my both simulation account are connected to FXCM using the same connection , it means the same login , I cannot be both long and short simultaneously on the same FXCM account . Am I right ? . Did I misunderstand you ?

Comment

Your simulation accounts created within NinjaTrader are local accounts. No information is being sent to FXCM about these accounts or orders/trades to these accounts. It is actually irrelevant what connection is associated with the account in this particular case (and in any case I can think of off the top of my head). NinjaTrader must assign a connection to all accounts, but I do not believe this will affect what you're trying to accomplish.

I suggest that you simply 'play' with what you have now. Open two order entry windows (like a SuperDOM or Chart Trader). Select a different simulation account in each window. Place orders/trades in these windows and observe what occurs in the Control Center's Orders, Executions, Positions. and Accounts tab.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post sarafuenonly123  
                          Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Brevo